Got a les Paul custom from my uncle and the serial number is scratched off??

Sheepdoggknowsbest?

Reaction score
I will be surprised if @Weirdtimes24 and @Sheepdoggknowsbest? aren't the same guy.

If I'm wrong, welcome to the forum!

Yup. At some point it was stolen. Regardless of the number of times, it changed hands since then... it remains the property of the original owner.
Well I know that I'm not that other guy, that's all I got and I can pretty much guarantee that he the other guy isn't searching for a complete roller bridge for a 60's Auditon with a single gold foil, just to see what it sounds like

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you post the CTS Pot code numbers that will help narrow it down.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may find an ink date stamp under the metal plate in the control cavity. Though that will require a bit of effort. Removing the knobs and pot nuts.

IMG_0475.JPG

If it has the original pots.... the numbers stamped on them can indicate the date of manufacture within a few months.

Last edited:

pmonk

Reaction score
Are the pickups original? If yes, most likely has an ink stamp on the base plate

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I have not either...but the 82 Custom I just sold had NO volute, but was still made from maple....not Hog.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
The Flip Out Winders I've seen on 1984 models. They were also sold as accessories back in day.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 1984 Standard had a non-volute maple neck.

Vettster89

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Les Paul custom alpine white with a whole lot of wear on it, and I mean a LOT. My uncle who happens to be Kirk Hammett handed it down to my dad who eventually gave it to me. I’ve been researching on how to figure out what year this guitar was made and what the details are on it. Then I discovered someone dug into the head and scratched off the entire serial number.. I know, it’s sketchy. But if someone could give my some info on what this guitar is and why someone might have done that it would give me a whole lot of relief!!View attachment 463755
Number one. I would have Kirk Hammett your uncle sign it where the serial number is in the front and the back. Make it worth big bucks! Also inform him that should you land in jail, he needs to be prepared to bail you out! Good luck.

Vettster89

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Les Paul custom alpine white with a whole lot of wear on it, and I mean a LOT. My uncle who happens to be Kirk Hammett handed it down to my dad who eventually gave it to me. I’ve been researching on how to figure out what year this guitar was made and what the details are on it. Then I discovered someone dug into the head and scratched off the entire serial number.. I know, it’s sketchy. But if someone could give my some info on what this guitar is and why someone might have done that it would give me a whole lot of relief!!View attachment 463755
Perhaps you could contact the authorities and find out who is missing a guitar that had it stolen from them matching that exact model and return it to them perhaps for a reward. Hope this helps!

Seabee

Reaction score
Did Steve Vai have a Les Paul when all his guitars were stolen?

Lamster

Reaction score
Made somewhere between second half of 1975 and 1981.

If you want a more specific date, you need to look at the codes on the potentiometers and / or the underside of the pickups.
All you need is a small screwdriver.

Scratched of serialnumber is usually to hide a theft, there may be other reasons but I can't think of any, guess we'll never know unless you find the person who did.

Shoot a clear picture of the electronics if you can!

That guitar is in rough shape but I prefer those over the brand new looking ones!
Replacement neck would be another reason to scratch off a serial number!

Qam

Reaction score
Indonesian fake is another possibility. My auntie Eugie Van Halen thinks they've gotten better at reproducing.

Reactions: Who

2Muchgear

Reaction score
These responses are killing me! Keep ‘me coming...like, gee, I can’t figure out why someone would take a pen knife to the serial number on a (vintage) Lester....

drivers1959

Reaction score
The first thing comes to mind is..who the %#$ would do that to a guitar?? dig the serial number out?? wtf..its my guess that this guitar was stolen and somebody tried to cover that up by botching up the guitar's serial number..you mention Kirk Hammett is your uncle, then shoot him a message with the pictures and ask him directly if he is aware of this..I'd sell it then take the money and buy a guitar you really want...these guitars area dime a dozen..kirk might have some fame associated with him but thats on a very small scale..its not like he is or was superstar famous..pull a Jimi Hendrix on it..take some lighter fluid pour it on the guitar then set it on fire..then people would be impressed with your skills as a guitarist..go for it!!!

dancsgrv

Reaction score
Really cool mojo on that guitar no matter where it came from. Must have been stolen at some point, maybe the original owner will see it here.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
That's a cool guitar and certainly not a 'dime a dozen' as stated two posts earlier. Hope it suits you / matches your needs.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have more female members.

Aldo Kirk Hammett is your uncle? Schweet! The first five Metallica albums are hammered into my brain. As a schoolboy I used to spend hours practicing the rhythm parts. My older sister hated me. :rofl:

Latest Threads