Got a Kemper today

ricky1918

Reaction score
So.. today I got a Kemper.

I sold the Tokai LP I had and didn't use enough to justify keeping it, and I bought a kemper, rack version.

I played it briefly thru some cheap headphones, but I've got to say, this thing blew me away.

I thought I was getting good sounds from my amplifire, but the Kemper changed everything.

And I only tried maybe a dozen free rigs on the kemper exchange forum. They still are better than the MBritt profiles I bought for the Amplifire.
I'm really amazed.

I can't wait to try out more and more amps, right now I have settled with a Twin Reverb and some effects already included in the rig.

Also I loved the OR15 rig Cybermgk shared on rig exchange.

I have to update the unit, and understand how to get it doing exactly what I want, but let me tell you this, I have a gig tomorrow and I'd really love to play the Kemper instead of my pedalboard with the Amplifire.
Only problem is that I don't have the time to set up my midi pedalboard.

I have to work out how the pitch shifter works, and the looper.

If they are as easy to use as my current pedalboard, I'll sell the pedals too.

The amplifire is gonna go, I'm sure I could get something better out of it, but I can't justify having two modelers right now.

For the Kemper users, any free presets you'd like to recommend?

cheers guys

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. The Amplifire should sell quickly. I sold two of them in a day at $400 each.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, I just love reading about all you guys jumping in with two feet. Total and complete vindication is what I get everytime another highly respected member goes high end modeling and I get to read the review.

I bet by this time next year the Who's Who in Modeling thread will have triple the entries.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crap I got for being a Line 6 fan almost 20 years ago was brutal...but I knew where it was going.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The crap I got for being a Line 6 fan almost 20 years ago was brutal...but I knew where it was going.
I can only imagine what that was like 20 years ago. Holy moly..

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know right :thumb:

Sound like me, the first time I plugged into the Kemper.

Thanks for the Kudos on the OR15 Profile. Oddly it was both my first and my best to date, though my Clean and slightly pushed profiles for the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb are pretty good.

For free, start getting the free samples from the profile sellers. They all have them, and they are real good too. If you haven't joined the Kemper forum, do so. Check both the free profile thread, and the commercial profile thread (to get the websites to check their free samples.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They have a word for that PIONEER

jdto

Pretend Human
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Kemper!

I had a similar reaction last night when I fired up my Helix for the first time. I dialled in their "Quick Start" rig, dropped in a JTM45 and plugged in my Sennheiser HD-380s. The first note brought a HUGE grin to my face. I had been using Postitive Grid Bias Amp for my headphone playing and, while it sounds darn good, the Helix blows it away for getting a cranked amp's tone and touch sensitivity through my headphones. I can't wait to hear it through my monitors, too, but I'm glad it sounds that good through the headphones, as it means I'll be able to play a lot more without driving my wife nuts.

AllTheSound

Reaction score
Congrats on the Kemper rack! One serious piece of kit you have there enjoy!

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar reaction last night when I fired up my Helix for the first time.
The Helix is an amazing modeler.

Brewdude

Reaction score
First off, congrats on the purchase Ricky!

The Helix is an amazing modeler.
TheX, or anyone else with a lot of experience with multiple modelers, how big of a leap is it between the Amplifire and the 'really' high-end stuff like Axe FX, etc.?

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Amplifire and the price jump up to the next tier of products is enough that its only a curiosity at this point, but having never played any others I'd like to know what I'm missing. Is it a features/software benefit, or is the sound produced noticeably better?

ricky1918

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just don't know where to start with the Kemper, I wanted to try some other patches last night but ended up playing the same twin reverb I found the other day.

I just added to the rig the effects I use when playing with my band, and they were awesome.

I already sold the amplifire (took it half a day.. lol), I sold the loop station I had, and I'm going to put that UnO for Kemper in my FCB1010, so no need for the remote.

I'm really happy. If I have some time today, I'll try to get some nice bass guitar tones out of it, we'll see.

I'm playing it with my Shure SE215s, though.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just don't know where to start with the Kemper, I wanted to try some other patches last night but ended up playing the same twin reverb I found the other day.

I just added to the rig the effects I use when playing with my band, and they were awesome.

I already sold the amplifire (took it half a day.. lol), I sold the loop station I had, and I'm going to put that UnO for Kemper in my FCB1010, so no need for the remote.

I'm really happy. If I have some time today, I'll try to get some nice bass guitar tones out of it, we'll see.

I'm playing it with my Shure SE215s, though.
The important thing to think about is this. Just because you have tons of tones at your finger tips doesn't mean you have to explore all of them right this minute. Play that reverb presets you love.. Expand later on.

After a year jamming on this AXE FX I have here, I still discover new tones and effects.. That's part of the beauty of it all:thumb:

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats on the purchase Ricky!

TheX, or anyone else with a lot of experience with multiple modelers, how big of a leap is it between the Amplifire and the 'really' high-end stuff like Axe FX, etc.?

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Amplifire and the price jump up to the next tier of products is enough that its only a curiosity at this point, but having never played any others I'd like to know what I'm missing. Is it a features/software benefit, or is the sound produced noticeably better?
Well Brew.. there are many many differences between the AXE and the Amplifire. I think the biggest thing you will notice is the vastly increased amp models and effects as well as the endless possibilities available with the incredible software called AXE EDIT.. where you can have literally any tone you could ever want.. and in that comes better tone then the Amplifire is capable of producing.. Think of the Amplifire as the basic model and the AXE FX to be the expanded one.

For me, one of the biggest things I have found is the incredible built in recording interface in the AXE.. This has been a god sent to me as now I can record and play along to anything I want. Simple. easy and studio quality

El Kabong

Reaction score
So.. today I got a Kemper.

I sold the Tokai LP I had and didn't use enough to justify keeping it, and I bought a kemper, rack version.

I played it briefly thru some cheap headphones, but I've got to say, this thing blew me away.

I thought I was getting good sounds from my amplifire, but the Kemper changed everything.

And I only tried maybe a dozen free rigs on the kemper exchange forum. They still are better than the MBritt profiles I bought for the Amplifire.
I'm really amazed.

I can't wait to try out more and more amps, right now I have settled with a Twin Reverb and some effects already included in the rig.

Also I loved the OR15 rig Cybermgk shared on rig exchange.

I have to update the unit, and understand how to get it doing exactly what I want, but let me tell you this, I have a gig tomorrow and I'd really love to play the Kemper instead of my pedalboard with the Amplifire.
Only problem is that I don't have the time to set up my midi pedalboard.

I have to work out how the pitch shifter works, and the looper.

If they are as easy to use as my current pedalboard, I'll sell the pedals too.

The amplifire is gonna go, I'm sure I could get something better out of it, but I can't justify having two modelers right now.

For the Kemper users, any free presets you'd like to recommend?

cheers guys
Welcome to the Kemper Club!!! It oughta keep you busy for quite some time. I got mine just about a year ago and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface as to what is possible.

Re: free profiles, there are many excellent ones on the Rig Exchange. I'm constantly finding new free ones to add to my ever expanding library. If you liked the MBritt Amplifire pack you're gonna love his Kemper packs. They blow the AF pack right out of the water. His stuff is still my favorite for both, my AF and my Kemper.

While there is plenty of great free stuff, I generally prefer the paid packs... many are not all that expensive and there is a reason folks are paying cash money for what other guys are giving away for free. Some of my favorites are Top Jimi, Guidorist, Soundside, Tonehawk, Maurizio and of course, the Amp Factory. Every time there is an upgrade it is the gift that just keeps giving! Enjoy!!! :thumbs:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't know where to start with the Kemper.
This is a problem for most people when confronted with almost limitless options. Yesterday I was playing around with the amp models after the latest firmware update. I had the Brit800 running with only a cab and some reverb. I was able to get amazing tones with just those three. We (modeler users in general) get so wrapped up in all the different things we can do that we forget to explore the basic things.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is a problem for most people when confronted with almost limitless options. Yesterday I was playing around with the amp models after the latest firmware update. I had the Brit800 running with only a cab and some reverb. I was able to get amazing tones with just those three. We (modeler users in general) get so wrapped up in all the different things we can do that we forget to explore the basic things.
Exactly.. Especially when coming from a tube amp setup. Before, all that was needed.. or all that they had... was a couple of tone knobs to settle on a tone. With these modelers that is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.. and why you correctly say "limitless" options.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's what I try to do with my Kemper, good profile, little reverb, and just play away.

Tiboy

Reaction score
Congrats. I picked up a power head and remote last week. Apropos of the above posts, I've been exploring and tweaking. Today, I decided to just plug the R9 into the Marshall and just play for a bit.

NOTE: Today Kemper just released some new profiled pedals.

Latest Threads