Got a Gretsch

Seven

Reaction score
Plays and sounds way better than I was expecting for the $379 clearance price. :dude:

IMG_5465.jpg

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
I have a G5230T, and I was amazed at how well it plays and sounds. Gretsch has really been hitting it out of the park the last few years. $379 is an incredible price for a G5220- where was this? That's like $200 off.

I did replace the tuners for locking ones (one of the stock ones was bad), then swapped out the electronics with a TV Jones harness. Really woke up the stock pickups in a wonderful way. The chambered body really adds a nice warmth to the sound.

Matt_21

Reaction score
Great looking axe. I agree about their quality the last while.

ARandall

Reaction score
I've been considering a Gretch - they're a bugger to find LH where I am. So in the sort term I'm making a guitar almost similar in construction to scratch the itch.
A lot of my fave players got awesome sounds out of them, and I have a great LP with filtertrons in too.

Seven

Reaction score
$379 is an incredible price for a G5220- where was this? That's like $200 off.

Musician's Friend. I was gonna post a PSA here but as soon as I ordered it the product page changed to no longer available. So maybe I got the last one?

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
Screaming deal. I got my Cadillac Green G5230T for a little over $100 off retail and was extremely happy, but you have me beat. I wasn't even looking for one (or even another guitar) at the time. Saw it at the shop with no price tag, loved the look, played it for about 2 minutes, and asked, "how much?" (if you have to ask...). It went home with me a few minutes later. Sometimes you just know. My first Gretsch. I've had to stop myself more than a few times from adding another couple to the collection. This one fills a nice niche sonically, adding a warm fullness without being boomy like a lot of semi-hollow or hollow bodies are.

Michael M.

Reaction score
I have been jonesing for a Gretsch 5420T BAAAAAD.
They feel so good and so different from my Les Paul and Fender style guitars.
But would I get bored or it or love it?????

Seven

Reaction score
I have been jonesing for a Gretsch 5420T BAAAAAD.
They feel so good and so different from my Les Paul and Fender style guitars.
But would I get bored or it or love it?????
I would love one!

Sweetwater has $150 in bonus bucks on the Orange Stain ones right now.

NotScott

Reaction score
Congrats! I love my 5420 and 6129. They perfectly fill that niche between Gibson and Fender tones with unique and usable sounds.

Seven

Reaction score
I did replace the tuners for locking ones (one of the stock ones was bad), then swapped out the electronics with a TV Jones harness. Really woke up the stock pickups in a wonderful way. The chambered body really adds a nice warmth to the sound.

Which tuners did you go with in yours?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet deal on a very cool guitar. Enjoy!!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gretsch 'budget' Electromatic line has [unched well above it's weight class for a long while now. Top quality. Not too long ago, most of them had at least Blacktop Filtertrons in them, which are as good a stock pickup as you can get. Some a few years ago, also had TV Jones in them, or Mega Trons, A gretsch hot version (and one of the all time best sounding pickup I have ever ad). Some now have the Broadtron pup in them. Decent, by all accounts, but not a filtertron,

WHich does yours have?

Excellent price on a great guitar. Grats;

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
My G5230T came with Black Top Filter’Tron pickups. I think the G5220s come with Black Top Broad’Tron pickups. I think either sounds pretty darn good, but are often choked-off by the pots and caps. But, for the price, you really get a great-sounding guitar. Especially at the price he paid. I'm kicking myself for missing that deal.

I also grounded my pickguard to the bridge pickup, because I would get a lot of static noise off of it when I rubbed my finger across it. A little copper tape on the back of the pickguard and a bleed wire from there into the pickup bezel fixed it.

I'm considering swapping out the cheap neck PAF in my Partscaster for a TV Jones. Those pickups just have a unique sound that I really like.

Latest Threads