Gordon Lightfoot

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love his music. GAWD, he's gettin' old!

Noticed that Cat Stevens has started performing his old hits again on stage too. LOVE the old folk music type guys. There isn't anyone to replace them.

Never seen Lightfoot in person, but would love to.

JCarno

Reaction score
Thanks, I shall give those a listen.
Not to take away from Freddys awesome experience, I would suggest that you look for a vid of the WOTEF that has the lyrics to go along with the song and maybe a couple documentaries about it to get the full power and effect of the song.
I still get chills and teary eyed listening to that song knowing the horror the crew must've gone through.
Congrats Freddy and thanks for sharing this! :cheers2:

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Grew up listening to him, too.

Great thread.

Droog

Reaction score
Our Canadian legend. Awesome opportunity, thanks for song clips too fellas.

char

Reaction score
Hi - I have video form the other night, (Night after he dropped the guitar) in Mississauga, Ontario at his concert. it is quite a substantial piece that broke off but he seemed in fine spirits about it and has a guitar guy in Toronto that he has employed for years who will be busy fixing it. He had his last concert of 2017 in Burlington, Ontario last night so while he's off the road it will get fixed. (lightfoot.ca has LIGHTFOOT info/tour dates/discography etc. as well as the OFFICIAL FB page @https://www.facebook.com/GordonLightfootOfficial/ ) videos are at: http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=28610 - last set as you scroll through - he shows the audience before he sings Early Morning Rain..)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man. Would have loved to have seen that show! Old school poet!

lowatter

Reaction score
I had my 2nd cup of coffee watching some of his videos. What a great talent and man. Not many peeps can say that he used to hang out with Bob Dylan often. What an honor for you to had that chance and I'm sure it's something you'll never forget.
I have to ask without going Foogling...is that that THE Gibson 12 string that he played since his early years Freddy? Thanks for sharing and what a treat.

DavGrape

Señor Mamber
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lake Superior is cold as Hell.
You wade in up to your knees, then retreat.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've ridden my Harley down Carefree Highway many times.

It's about 20 miles from my house.

I didn't even know that GL's song was about Arizona's Carefree Highway until today.

TheWGuitar

Reaction score
A fan here too, Freddy. You are spot on about him and his band.

I read some years ago about what a stringent taskmaster he is and the demands he makes of his band-mates.

But they didn't seem to mind and in the article the bass player and guitarist said that sometimes for fun they would act up behind old Gordy's back by bobbing up and down in time or smiling and joking between themselves... Till ol' Gordy would look back at them and then they would sober up quick like nothing happened. It was a game to them to try to not get caught.

Tough man, but his band thrived under it. They liked working with him.

Good for Gordon! I am glad that he cares about this music that much to this day.

They obviously respect that he has a standard for his music that he wants to live up to. That's awesome. He could just as easily be mailing it in right now, but the thread might sound more like "Well, I've always wanted to see him again since I went in '76, and I'm glad I went....but it wasn't nearly as good this time. I think it's time for him to hang it up." You always feel bad when a performer gets to that point.

Latest Threads