Gordon Lightfoot

Frogfur

Reaction score
Got the call last week. Would you like to do sound for Gordon Lightfoot at the Performing Arts Centre?
Me : Hell Yeah!!!
I grew up listening to Lightfoot....his songs were all over the radio dial. I have always loved his music but I have never seen him in concert before. He is getting up there in age so I thought I gotta see him!
Well he didn't disappoint. What a pro. What a disciplined band! Soundcheck was very lengthy....went from 4 -5:30. Gordon would call out a tune, then immediately count it in and the band was always, always right there. Sometimes he made a small signal and the band would stop on a dime....he would ask for some adjustment to the sound or to the way somebody played something and then 1 second later count in and off they went again. No time wasted at all.

He played most of his big hits....there would not have been enough time in the evening for them all.
If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway, Sundown...too many to name. When he played The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald the place erupted. Something about that song has always moved me, and sure enough, I had a tear in my eye hearing him sing it. His voice was quite frail, but the sheer strength of the songs carried the day.
His guitar playing was razor sharp though and so was the band.
Just as he was introducing the last song of the night, his 12 string (the same one in the pic) slipped off his strap and crashed to the floor. I saw a big chunk of the back splinter off that old Gibson....a damn shame.
It was a long day for me....I was there from morning to almost midnight, but I'm so glad i can file this one away in the memory banks!

gordon_lightfoot_4.jpg

Wow..timely. I was just playing around with my acoustic version of Sundown the last half hour.
Easy song. The main chord is a D5 like this-
Screenshot_20171110-100903.png

The other two chords are A and D. Full strum on the D5 chord emphasis on the 1,2 and 3d string on the upstroke to add the chime.

Freddy, you lucky dawg you. I've never seen him but always played a few of his songs.
Have a great time!

Nard

Reaction score
Been listening to his music for years and never tire of it. Wish I’d been in your shoes for the day Freddy.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another reason you have a very cool job and experiences! I haz an envy! I was in my teens in the 70's. GL was part of the amazing soundtrack!

But Freddy...... What happened with the chip?

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, Freddy! He is a 12 string hero!

Rando375

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressive Freddy, impressive. Congratulations

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But Freddy...... What happened with the chip?

Well I had my eye glued to that piece after it happened. GL seemed pretty casual about it. The piece was lying on the floor right next to his foot as he played the last song. I just kept thinking "don't step on it!" so that the piece will be as intact as possible for the best case scenario repair. As soon as the song was over, the band took a bow and walked off stage...except for the guitar player....he had the presence of mind to walk over to centre stage and pick up the piece. After the encore was over, I went on stage and scoured the area just to make sure there were no other little bits.

Way cool, Freddy.

Pity about the guitar. Did it look repairable?

Yes.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Well I had my eye glued to that piece after it happened. GL seemed pretty casual about it. The piece was lying on the floor right next to his foot as he played the last song. I just kept thinking "don't step on it!" so that the piece will be as intact as possible for the best case scenario repair. As soon as the song was over, the band took a bow and walked off stage...except for the guitar player....he had the presence of mind to walk over to centre stage and pick up the piece. After the encore was over, I went on stage and scoured the area just to make sure there were no other little bits.

Yes.

Well, I'm assuming he has your business card ...

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Recently, I had a friend tell me that the thinks "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is a "guys" song. Guys love it, women don't.

I thought it was an odd thing to say. Since then, I've asked several women. All of them like other GL songs, but none of them like The Wreck. Odd.

You are probably right. I imagine the only thing that would turn women off the song even more would be if Geddy Lee sang it! :rofl:

But seriously, no, I don't think it's that odd. The song is about something very dark and terrifying and sad. I think men relate to a story of danger and lives lost on the job. Might sound sexist to say, but some things are just true.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What an honor and privilege, Freddy!

GL is one of the all-time great talents. "If you could read my mind" was my go to song during college when I played a Takamine 12 string.

It would be a thrill without measure to meet the man.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great opportunity and a great story...thanks for sharing Freddy...

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The guy is a great story teller. That and his musicality get us hooked. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is a story filled with lots of great stuff that I can remember, as a kid, being rapt by. I listened to every word to understand what was going on.

Some great guitars tones in his work.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could write a song like TWOT Edmund Fitzgerald.

GL is an incredible songwriter (and singer too).

KTM

Reaction score
Freddy, what an awesome opportunity! Congrats. Yep, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank Nov 10th, 1975, and that's what I thought this thread was going to be about. Every November I start thinking about Gordon's song about it. I have "Gord's Gold" and "Gord's Gold Vol.2" on CD that I leave in my SUV. I typically listen to them while driving up to my cabin which is a 2 hour drive. My 22 year old daughter likes his music including The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" my wife on the other hand doesn't really seem to care for much of his music. :dunno:

morats8up

Reaction score
Very cool Freddy, GL is an icon for sure. No chance you could have done the repair job?

Kashmir

Reaction score
Like I had said earlier, I'm a huge fan of his music. So keep in mind when it comes to Lightfoot, think reverb in many different directions. His biggest songs have been all about that, accoustically.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first heard the wreck of the Edmund fitzgerald when as an 11 year old, my family and I had moved to a different town, in a really different environment, and it was one of a number of songs that year that where in constant rotation on the radio station, that always brings me back to that time when I hear it.
I was so fascinated with that song, in particular, that I did a lot of reading up on edmund fitzgerald, and the crew. fascinating story.

http://www.ssedmundfitzgerald.org/

lots of youtube stuff also.

S. Rock

Reaction score
that's so cool, Freddy ! such a great opportunity. I, also, do a couple of his songs. here's one :

Latest Threads