Goodbye California - Hello Florida

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whomever runs Dollar Gentrul is a genius.... Everywhere there is a population cluster, they throw one together BETWEEN that cluster and WalMart....

Hamtone

Reaction score
I avoid the awful house, except maybe coffee. I ate the one in Phenix City Al, about 7 years ago, on my way home from Atl, and spent the next 48 hrs sick.

Mathew: Take a day going east into Lynn Haven, thats essentially where I live. I get the country living, beach and city all within 20 mins of my house.

The "southern charm" thing has never been in My experience but I like it enough here, to not move.

I have business reasons for staying too but thats a whole different can of worms

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't eat anywhere in Phenix City...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PC, more commonly known as The Redneck Riviera has gone to shit.... A couple decades back they wanted to attract spring breakers from Lauderdale, Daytona, etc. there.... They got MTV to do a big televised party during spring break...... Didn't take long before biz wanted the spring breakers outa there..... Some close down during spring break just so they won't have to deal with the cra cra....

Was more family oriented...quaint motels, cafes, etc.. Now you can hardly see the water for all the big condos.... You can hardly drive anywhere the traffic is so bad at times... Buds of mine that moved there way back got the hell out and came back up here a few years ago.... One said 'I can't even go to the damn store and back within a hour or two....and I ain't far at all... They played down there and bitched because it was hell GETTING to the gig.... 98 beach side is a joke trying to drive anywhere....

Folks don't realize how one tall ass condo can dick traffic in the area... then add a condo on either side with a bunch of floors.... Population density just went through the roof..... Now line the entire stretch of rod with hi-rise condos....

To borrow one of my dad's old sayings and apply it to The Redneck Riviera, "I ain't lost a damn thing down there I need to go look for..."

I'm down in Sara out on a Key at the moment. Traffic is not as bad or crazy here as in The Redneck Riviera... There's traffic but not jacked or squatted four wheel drive dipshit trucks, idiots from hell on rental scooters, or sports cars with teens and some older (physically) hanging out the window yelling and such....

Boiled peanuts.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Since I recently retired from the job that brought me out here 26 yrs ago, and the kids are grown and gone, and the cat died, I figure what the hell am I staying here for, when all my family is back east.

Nice weather? Yep it's here.

But gets a D- on just about everything else.

The taxes here are eating my income away, and really I'm just tired of beige houses. Here you can get your house painted in four shades of beige. Beige, Beige, Beige, or Beige.

So,,,,, after some heavy duty politickin with Mama, she's agreed to leave her banking job and friends and head east.

Were kinda focusing on the St. Augustine / Palm Coast area right now. We'll be taking a trip over there soon and scope out the area.

We're both kinda stoked! We figure we can sell our place here, and get something near the water there, that's not BEIGE.

Not to mention that Florida is a firearm friendly state, whereas California is 180 out from that!

And no we're not bringing any California "Ideals" with us!

That's all I got to say about that...

:fingersx:
A D minus? You're grading generously.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after a brutal and hot drive across the country, I'm finally here! Felt like I was in Texas for about a year!

We found a nice condo to rent in Satellite Beach on the Atlantic, that's just perfect! So now the house hunting continues in earnest. So far digging the Central coast area. Day and night difference from the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia!

Here's what I'm currently doing with my new neighbor friend. who also loves to fish!

10 Catfish, 18 Black Drum, 3 sheephead, 3 Whiting, and a Grouper! We tossed the Cats back.

IMG_4718.jpg
image0(4).jpeg
image1(4).jpeg

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some 30 to 50 lb test braided line is a must too.

Use steel leaders in case you hook a blue runner or shark.

Latest Threads