Goodbye California - Hello Florida

matthew bear

Reaction score
I’m reading this from a brewery in Pensacola :hmm:

just drove down from Washington state to start over, staying in defuniak springs with some friends.

I gotta say, the emerald coast is really, really nice right now :cool: I’ve burnt my dad bod quite well this week :laugh2: . White sand, crystal blue water, red skin :eek2:

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I’m reading this from a brewery in Pensacola :hmm:

just drove down from Washington state to start over, staying in defuniak springs with some friends.

I gotta say, the emerald coast is really, really nice right now :cool: I’ve burnt my dad bod quite well this week :laugh2: . White sand, crystal blue water, red skin :eek2:
I'm probably 5 minutes from you. Which brewery?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I gotta rewrite that motto to make it more "Florida-like" :laugh2:

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward something like these:

View attachment 552304

View attachment 552305
When I retire, I'm going to go to Ohio and Michigan and just drive around in the left lane doing 35 mph, at rush hour, for payback. Of course I'm going to wait until I need to make a right turn and then either stop in the middle of traffic or cut off 3 lanes at once.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I retire, I'm going to go to Ohio and Michigan and just drive around in the left lane doing 35 mph, at rush hour, for payback. Of course I'm going to wait until I need to make a right turn and then either stop in the middle of traffic or cut off 3 lanes at once.
Great ideas for retirement. It is important to stay busy and that should do it.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Oh Christ I’ve witnessed these folks in my travels :laugh2: driving has been a madhouse from Iowa to Florida, with an emphasis on Missouri and Tennessee. Pure madness! :laugh2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
FL is a really attractive place.,I was born there during WWII. But it seems like a lot of nut cases live there, and I don’t know if I could remain peaceable around them. But surely that doesn’t apply to the whole state. Like if somebody asked me if I wanted to move to TX, I’d say hell no. But if they further said it was to Austin, I’d say sure. So surely the whole state of FL isn’t nutty.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FL is a really attractive place.,I was born there during WWII. But it seems like a lot of nut cases live there, and I don’t know if I could remain peaceable around them. But surely that doesn’t apply to the whole state. Like if somebody asked me if I wanted to move to TX, I’d say hell no. But if they further said it was to Austin, I’d say sure. So surely the whole state of FL isn’t nutty.
Actually, Florida has a lower crime rate than Colorado... and that's even though Colorado is #20 in terms of population with only 5.8 million residents or so.

Meanwhile, Florida is #3 in terms of population, with 21 million of us running around down here... and yet, we have a lower rate of crime than Colorado.

--R

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up with alligators and hurricanes. Neither bother me as long as one uses their smarts. Quite frankly, I got very tired of never having any rain fall back in California. Plus the humidity is running in the 70% range there now, so I’m looking forward to having to deal with Mother Nature more. Might be backwards thinking, but it’s home to me!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robob always puts on a good front when faced with total disaster what with all them gators taking over all the golf courses, parks, lakes, nature trails, food and beer joints....even strip clubs.... and snakes are coming up outa all the terlets down here...

Ain't safe to go out nowhere....

Wanna get et by a gator? That's how you get et by a gator....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always been especially fond of the gators on the golf courses. They make for an interesting day, especially if your ball lands anywhere near water.

But, the pterodactyl-like bugs that fly through the air down there simply scare the living fuck out of me.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, Florida has a lower crime rate than Colorado... and that's even though Colorado is #20 in terms of population with only 5.8 million residents or so.

Meanwhile, Florida is #3 in terms of population, with 21 million of us running around down here... and yet, we have a lower rate of crime than Colorado.

--R
Lower rate overall, but every state has crime-infested areas and safe areas, just like different metro areas. Birmingham in general is bad news, but in adjacent Vestavia Hills (which has an overlapping ZIP code w/B'ham) a lot of people don't worry about locking their cars.

What are some of the good areas in Florida?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lower rate overall, but every state has crime-infested areas and safe areas, just like different metro areas.
Shocking to hear of it-- I thought all 53 thousand or so square miles of Florida were perfectly homogeneous whereas all matters pertaining to demographics were concerned.

To hear that there may be some areas that are crime infested, while others are safe? What a revelation! :shock:

What are some of the good areas in Florida?
Beats the hell outta me... :hmm:

Perhaps you should ask somebody who doesn't actually live here. They always seem to be particular experts when it comes to this state. :thumb:

--R :p

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, good. It is nice to hear something positive about FL. About the crime rate in FL vs CO, In CO there is the front range (with big cities) and the western slope (with small cities and towns). I live in a small city in the western slope where people don’t even lock their doors at night (but I do). I’m sure there are areas in FL that are peaceful and just great — just like CO. And it would be cool to live in one of those areas — if you have a good strong AC on your house!

Latest Threads