Goodbye California - Hello Florida

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I built a house here (going on our 4th spring) and lovin' ever minute of it. If that's where you end-up, you'll love the area!

Good luck and :cheers2:
Thanks for that!

We are heading to St. Augustine in a few weeks to check it out!

Hope there's some decent guitar stores around, and doesn't require a trip to Jax.

:thumb:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I've been to Florida several times over the years (some in the Navy) and I haven't really found any reasons to dislike it. A lot of people talk shit about Texas, but I love it here.
I don’t talk shit about Texas, except when I am stuck in traffic I one of the huge cities, like in the metro areas of Dallas or Houston. Other than that, many places in Texas offer a favorable relationship between salaries and wages and cost of living. A huge advantage to many.

Last edited:

Fillmore

Reaction score
Back in the fifties and sixties I fell in love with the California myth....The Beach Boys songs, the car and motorcycle culture, surfing, great music and cool drive-ins. The same thing with Florida...everyday was a Jimmy Buffett song. Thing is I was just visiting not living there. So the reality of both places never took hold on me. So now I just visit because I don't want to spoil that love I have for both places.

Yeh, I know, just a geezer living in the past.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

We are heading to St. Augustine in a few weeks to check it out!

Hope there's some decent guitar stores around, and doesn't require a trip to Jax.

:thumb:
My pleasure.

Unfortunately, there aren't. There's one in St. Augustine, it's a nice store, but with a very limited inventory and there are a couple, one of which is GC in Daytona, but you're better-off going to Jax. It's not that far of a drove really.

We love the St. Augustine area (St. Augustine proper, Vilano Beach, Creasent Beach, etc.), which is where we really wanted to be. We just couldn't find the right property, existing or to build, that was close enough to the ocean (my wife love's the ocean) within our price range. We're ten minutes from the ocean where we are in the Palm Coast area.

Ormond Beach is a really nice area too, just North of Daytona.

If you and/or your wife are ocean people, you'll love it. They're all beautiful here. White sand or Coquina beaches depending on where you are.

If you're a golfer, there are some very nice courses around here, along with "The World Golf Hall of Fame" too. Very nice homes in that area as well, which is just NW of downtown St. Augustine.

If you get the chance, stop here at least for a beverage: https://www.beachesatvilano.com That's one of our favorite places to go when we're up there.

Oh and there's a lot of live music all around here no matter where you go.

:cheers2:

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's also a musical instrument store in Daytona that is called "Total Entertainment"...

Despite the curious name (sounds like a place where you'd buy a television set or a sound system or something) the store is usually very well stocked with medium and higher-end instruments, as well as the usual economy builds.

--R

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's also a musical instrument store in Daytona that is called "Total Entertainment"...

Despite the curious name (sounds like a place where you'd buy a television set or a sound system or something) the store is usually very well stocked with medium and higher-end instruments, as well as the usual economy builds.

--R
Is that on International Drive?

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I forgot to mention, there's a quaint little college town called DeLand, with some nice shops including, a couple of cool record shops and great restaurants.

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is that on International Drive?
Yes, it's about one block west of the intersection of ISB and US1...

For the record, I forgot to mention, there's a quaint little college town called DeLand, with some nice shops including, a couple of cool record shops and great restaurants.

I live in Deland! :thumb:

It's a very nice town-- rather multifaceted, I might say. I could write at considerable length to discuss the very interesting nature of my home town.

But what would be of most interest on this site would be to mention that there's a thriving club scene that has only sprung into existence over about the last three years... a bunch of old government-owned buildings on Georgia Ave (between Florida Ave and Woodland Boulevard) have been renovated by younger entrepreneurs, and we're starting to draw nationally-known acts, mostly Blues players...

Very sweet, extremely interesting little town, Deland.

In fact, it's my favorite part of Florida! :laugh2:

--R :thumb:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's about one block west of the intersection of ISB and US1...

I live in Deland! :thumb:

It's a very nice town-- rather multifaceted, I might say. I could write at considerable length to discuss the very interesting nature of my home town.

But what would be of most interest on this site would be to mention that there's a thriving club scene that has only sprung into existence over about the last three years... a bunch of old government-owned buildings on Georgia Ave (between Florida Ave and Woodland Boulevard) have been renovated by younger entrepreneurs, and we're starting to draw nationally-known acts, mostly Blues players...

Very sweet, extremely interesting little town, Deland.

In fact, it's my favorite part of Florida! :laugh2:

--R :thumb:
Cool!

My wife and I love it there. We love going to the street fairs to look around and listen to the bands, then going either Forno Bello, or Santorini for something to eat!

Did Santorini open in their new location yet?

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool!

My wife and I love it there. We love going to the street fairs to look around and listen to the bands, then going either Forno Bello, or Santorini for something to eat!

Did Santorini open in their new location yet?

Both Forno Bello and Santorini's are alive and well! :thumb:

Forno Bello is located in the 100 block of S. Woodland Boulevard, where it always was.

Meanwhile, Santorini's is now in the 100 block of N. Woodland Boulevard... I think they've been there for about a year or so, maybe slightly longer... and the food is still really excellent. It's got to be one of the best Greek restaurants in Central Florida. :thumb:

The street fairs are always fun, too! :thumb:

--R

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Forno Bello and Santorini's are alive and well! :thumb:

Forno Bello is located in the 100 block of S. Woodland Boulevard, where it always was.

Meanwhile, Santorini's is now in the 100 block of N. Woodland Boulevard... I think they've been there for about a year or so, maybe slightly longer... and the food is still really excellent. It's got to be one of the best Greek restaurants in Central Florida. :thumb:

The street fairs are always fun, too! :thumb:

--R
Those are definitely two of our favorite places to go.

WOW, a year or more!? Doesn't seem like it's been that long since we were there last? Man, is time flying!

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update! Sorry it’s been a while but things have been absolutely nuts since my last post.
We took a second trip to Florida and this time we scoured every area between Cape Canaveral and Vero Beach. Saw the space X launch, which is always cool to see the launches.

So, we decided on Melbourne Beach. A quiet little hamlet with nary a tourist, and a population of 3800.
I spent 6 weeks and a boat load of cash remodeling 2 bath rooms, new lighting, new interior and exterior paint, upgrades everywhere. It paid off.

Sold my house in 3 days for a boatload over asking.

We closed last Thursday and the van lines has my furniture. I filled up two Uhaul U boxes and those are shipped. We are currently in the process of driving two cars across the country to central Fla. I’m in my F-150 towing a 5x8 uhaul trailer.

We are currently in Pflugerville Tx visiting my Daughter and granddaughter, and hit the road again Friday morning. Have a 1000 miles to go.
As far as housing, I’ve leased a condo on Satellite Beach for two months while we look for a house.
Having said that, we are going to look at a house this Sunday in Melbourne Beach that sits on a canal right at the entrance to the Indian River, and two blocks from the beach. Close proximity to the beach was a stipulation from the wife in order to leave Kalifornia.
Has a pool and a really big dock in the backyard!
Now if I can just pull another 19 hours of driving, I’ll be a happy camper!

Long story short, this home prep, sale, packing, loading, shipping, and driving, has just about kicked my ass. I’m in damn good shape, but turned 65 last Wed., and moving still sucks.

the good news is that in a few months when we get settled, I’ll head up to Deland and buy Rob that burger and beer I promised him!

Not to mention that I’m no longer a Kalifornia resident!!!!!!!!

BTW, Pflugerville TX., is a kick ass place! Went to the bat bridge in Austin last night at sunset to see the thousands of bats coming out for dinner! Great BBQ, good beer, fun nice people, and just an awesome vibe! People actually say hello to you on the street! Not like where I’ve been living.

Not much time to play my guitars lately as you can imagine, since I had to pack up 5 amps, 13 guitars, and a boat load of pedals, cables, well, you get the idea. And none are being moved by the movers, no sir. Those babies, along with my armory. Are with me!

Shout out to The X for living in such a cool area of the Great State of Texas!!!

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's really cool up to the BBQ bats.

mdubya

Reaction score
Good to hear from you, Mike!

Moving to Florida end of July/beginning of August! :shock:

Well, it can only get better! :applause:

I spent some time in Melbourne some 35 years ago. It was pretty chill but a nice place at that time. :yesway:

Last edited:

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to time it with the market Don! Hope all is well with you my friend! :cheers2:

Hamtone

Reaction score
Since I recently retired from the job that brought me out here 26 yrs ago, and the kids are grown and gone, and the cat died, I figure what the hell am I staying here for, when all my family is back east.

Nice weather? Yep it's here.

But gets a D- on just about everything else.

The taxes here are eating my income away, and really I'm just tired of beige houses. Here you can get your house painted in four shades of beige. Beige, Beige, Beige, or Beige.

So,,,,, after some heavy duty politickin with Mama, she's agreed to leave her banking job and friends and head east.

Were kinda focusing on the St. Augustine / Palm Coast area right now. We'll be taking a trip over there soon and scope out the area.

We're both kinda stoked! We figure we can sell our place here, and get something near the water there, that's not BEIGE.

Not to mention that Florida is a firearm friendly state, whereas California is 180 out from that!

And no we're not bringing any California "Ideals" with us!

That's all I got to say about that...

:fingersx:
Welcome to free America, learn the state Constitution and who needs to be leaned on in your district.

Keep in mind there's fed retribution coming, so, know ALL your reps.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Leaves paradise for Jurassic Park? :laugh2:

Seriously, congratulations on the move, and I hope you guys get settled in to a permanent residence soon.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
This is one decision you'll never regret. Have safe travels. I'm in Lake City, a few hours northwest of Melbourne.

Latest Threads