Goodbye California - Hello Florida

pnuggett

Reaction score
What is it about NW Florida that people find unappealing. I haven't been there for more than 30 years.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to Florida several times over the years (some in the Navy) and I haven't really found any reasons to dislike it. A lot of people talk shit about Texas, but I love it here.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What is it about NW Florida that people find unappealing. I haven't been there for more than 30 years.
When last I left it, there was nothing to do there. I was so bored. It's also super military heavy so the population is very transient. My street had someone moving in/out constantly. Hard to make friends when someone is PCS'ing. And holy crap the bugs man.

It's a nice play to visit. It has really nice beaches. But so do other parts of FL, and they have things to do.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We were both born-n-razed here. We moved to SoCal in our mid 20's and moved back here in our late 30's. Been back for 30+ years.

I'd go back in a NY minute. I loved CA. Fuck the politics, fuck the loonies, fuck the cost. It's a fucking paradise <end>

My bride... no so much. Our kids and grandkids are here. There is NFW that she would move 3 timezone and 5,000 miles away from them. But, Florida.... hmmmm.... maybe, Florida?!!?

My parents retired and moved to FL, like the good citizen life manual of the NorthEast required. We have been there many, many many times - starting with our honeymoon to FLL and Disney. So, we are very familiar with the place from the Keys to the "Riviera".

I could move to FL. I'd 1,000,000x rather go back to LA, but I could do West Palm, Key Biscayne, and the like. Easy-Peasy.

My wife (ya had to know) calls Florida Jurassic Park and she would never, ever, never move there. I even tried the "snowbird" conversation. Her reply was, "G'head.. I'll see you in Spring!"

So, I think I'm stuck here... California Dreaming on such a Winter's day :mad:

Good luck with the move, OP. I think you will like FL life.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were both born-n-razed here. We moved to SoCal in our mid 20's and moved back here in our late 30's. Been back for 30+ years.

I'd go back in a NY minute. I loved CA. Fuck the politics, fuck the loonies, fuck the cost. It's a fucking paradise <end>

My bride... no so much. Our kids and grandkids are here. There is NFW that she would move 3 timezone and 5,000 miles away from them. But, Florida.... hmmmm.... maybe, Florida?!!?

My parents retired and moved to FL, like the good citizen life manual of the NorthEast required. We have been there many, many many times - starting with our honeymoon to FLL and Disney. So, we are very familiar with the place from the Keys to the "Riviera".

I could move to FL. I'd 1,000,000x rather go back to LA, but I could do West Palm, Key Biscayne, and the like. Easy-Peasy.

My wife (ya had to know) calls Florida Jurassic Park and she would never, ever, never move there. I even tried the "snowbird" conversation. Her reply was, "G'head.. I'll see you in Spring!"

Gators would shit on your lawn anyway.... So there's that....

:cool2:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score

CA would be amazing without people. It’s weird that I’m living on the central coast and bitching about this place. Right now I could drop off the kids and go surf a decent wave by myself. Drive through Yosemite and you think your eyes are on some sweet drugs. The whole eastern sierras are bizarre. There’s Joshua trees and areas that looks like the surface of Mars
The problem isn’t in the lack of beautiful places.
And it’s in the low 60s right now, I’m out cleaning out a minivan after watering the starters in the greenhouse

Life is pretty good here.

I just fuckin hate the goddam place.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Great question. My wife and I bought a beautiful lot on Escambia Bay but never built a house on it. We have spent time there and I love it. Our area is a lot of retired military due to Pensacola NAS. We may yet build a retirement home there.

But the hurricanes can be a problem. We've repaired the seawall TWICE in the past year.

sonar1

Reaction score
When you get here, please don't california our florida.
When I lived in Colorado, there were BILLBOARDS that said: “Don’t californicate Colorado.”

Happened anyway.

When I washed up in Santa Cruz, c 1974: first day in town I joined the AFM, and bought a used Barney Kessel with Reno winnings (I used to do well at craps, back in the day).
Initially came to CA in the Navy c 1971. Always dug the climate and came back as soon as I could.
Now, I’m established, beat the tax system (still battling), and don’t have to leave to live.
BUT, I was burned out on Berserkley South (Santa Cruz).
So I came to Redding. Feels like home. Don’t intend to leave CA, but we’ll see. I’ve lived plenty of other places. Some better, some dangerous.

Good luck in Florida. At least Robotoe is in Deland! :headbanger:

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Good luck in Florida. We moved here from there in 2006. We did not get along with the Florida Humidity and all the Bugs that Bite...

I don't care too much for California either. I retire for the second time in 5 years and I'm looking at a hot non-coastal part of Texas or possibly Sparks, Nevada.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Humidity, biting gnats, fire ants, paper mill smell, and most of all Hurricanes. I had major damage from two hurricanes and actually rode one of them out in the house. No thanks...

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear ya Steve. The weather here can't be beat. No humidity. No bugs to speak of. Never rains.

Lots of cool things to see. Beaches, Mountains, movie stars, etc etc.

But a lots changed in 30 years bro.

Now we got fire ants, and mosquitoes, and it's either 60 or 100, and we have now grown our own humidity here, and some days are just sticky. Was 86% here today.

We have homeless camps, ( God Bless those folks), along the main streets 5 miles long. X many streets.

Crime is thru the roof, and the bad guys are back on the streets in about 45 mins. And to make it all nice and pleasant for the bad guy, they let out a few of his friends, just because.

You don't look at people in the other cars. That's a good way to get shot.

Carjacking is a pastime activity.

And I'm in the safest city in Calif!

Aliens, the little grey ones, won't even go to LA man.

Oh, and add 30 years worth of cars and trucks to that too. During rush hour, 25 miles in 2 hours is doing pretty damn good!

Nah.... I'll take my chances in Florida!

I'm really looking forward to using the high beams on my truck for the first time!

Deftone

Reaction score
So many people are leaving Cali, U-Haul rentals are through the roof. It's 2x or more $ to rent one way out of Cali as it is to bring it back.

We just bought a "BIG TEX" Utility trailer (made in China of course, right down to the tires) they are selling as fast as they can make them. Used ones go for the price of new ones.

You'd almost think it was all planned: Run everyone out of the state with sky high crime, taxes, homelessness. Shut down small businesses and push the big ones out.

Making room for someone else?

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I built a house here (going on our 4th spring) and lovin' ever minute of it. If that's where you end-up, you'll love the area!

Good luck and :cheers2:

Latest Threads