Goodbye California - Hello Florida

Deftone

Reaction score
I left California in 1993 and after living in Stanford, E. Palo Alto, Los Gatos, Koreatown, Los Feliz and then Hollywood I can't believe that it is worse now. Funny story, my last year in college I lived in a 1200 Sq Ft. home with two teammates next to the highway in E. Palo Alto. We paid $300 a month, the home had bullet holes in it and you could buy just about any narcotic on the block. I became friends with the landlord and we've stayed in touch since I left in 1991. Three years ago he sold the home for $1.2M. He paid $18k for it in 1986.
Whuuut! I grew up in Palo Alto...(not EPA) born at Stanford Hosp and spent most of my adult life in LG before moving to Rocklin 15 years ago then on to Auburn. Getting out of the Cali shit hole ASAP.

EPA...Murder capital of the USA one year, right next door to one of the most affluent areas in the country.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Whuuut! I grew up in Palo Alto...(not EPA) born at Stanford Hosp and spent most of my adult life in LG before moving to Rocklin 15 years ago then on to Auburn. Getting out of the Cali shit hole ASAP.

EPA...Murder capital of the USA one year, right next door to one of the most affluent areas in the country.
EPA?

motowntom

Reaction score
Hey, Mike!

Congratulations to you whereas your decision is concerned...

I think you'll like Florida quite a lot. As you have already noted, we're not one of those "progressive" states like the one you're fleeing...

Florida has experienced quite a large influx of new residents over the last five years. I think we gained something like 3 or 4 million new residents over the time period-- which put us in the #3 position in terms of the state's population. Only California and Texas have more residents...

But for all that, we're #25 when it comes to the rate of violent crime. Despite all the Internet nonsense concerning Florida, the state is actually a very placid sort of place overall.

***************​

The area you're eyeballing is a very nice part of the state. Essentially, almost anywhere in Central Florida is absolutely lovely... it's while moving to the Panhandle or (God forbid) South Florida that you better really look before you leap.

You are correct whereas the weather patterns are concerned. I've been here for 40 years, and have gone through multiple hurricanes... but there were actually only three or four real standouts when it came to the kind of damage we experienced as a result of a cyclone hitting us directly.

So: while it would be incorrect to say that you're absolutely guaranteed to not get your ass kicked by a hurricane for settling in this part of Florida, the chances of suffering catastrophic damage in this part of the state really is lower than in any other part.

BUT, it does still happen, and I've seen it plenty enough. Sometimes, even though a storm just scoots up the coast and never makes landfall around here, we get lots of twisters, which can be about as bad as the major system would have been had it clobbered us directly.

Lt. Dave was staying with me-- on vacation here in Florida-- even as Hurricane Irma passed up the west coast of the state. We were 120 miles from the second band, but don't you know there were something like 20 tornadoes in my county, and several more in adjacent counties.

And so even though Irma was no big deal, the tornadoes were problematic. A few structures close to my home were destroyed... and a fernery quite close to my house was destroyed as well... trees uprooted, the works. Dave and I spotted that as we were on our way to a shooting range the day after the hurricane went bye-bye...

***************​

As to the more ordinary types of weather we routinely experience?

All I can say is that some can't handle the humidity. But really: it's easy to get used to that. What's very nice, though, is this: in Central Florida, the winters are mild enough that one doesn't usually even need to run heat. In fact, while everybody else on this site was freezing their balls off, I was sitting around with all my doors and windows open, enjoying the balmy weather and fresh air. My last power bill was about 60 bucks.

What we get around here is the occasional cold snap, where temperatures go low enough to actually remind us that there *is* such a thing as winter. But it seldom freezes, and these "cold snaps" usually only last for maybe four or five days... and then the weather goes back to temperatures in the 70's and 80's and stays that way for weeks... and then we get another brief cold snap.

Right now it's 83º in my locality... humidity is at about 72%. But the air is moving nicely, and it's not a really sticky kind of day. The weather-- including the humidity and temperature extremes-- are much, much more harsh in states such as, say, Oklahoma.

I see that you'd like to live on the coast. Personally, I'd advise against that for two reasons: the real estate is very pricey, and it's not really a good idea to be stuck on the coast when a major cyclone approaches-- and that's even if the bastard is 70 miles away out in the ocean and on its way to South Carolina. We get into major erosion issues, the winds can be fierce as hell and highly destructive, and you'll have a golden opportunity to see what a "waterspout" (that is, a tornado that's traveling over open water) looks like.

Worst of all are the mandatory evacuations. You won't like leaving your home, even though you'll like staying there even less when the draw bridges are lifted over the intercoastal waterways and you're literally stuck beachside.

****************​

But by the same token I say this: life is short and sometimes a man is smart to just roll the dice.

You know, during Hurricane Matthew-- which really did kick the shit out of this county, along with Flagler and St. John's-- my neighbor's house was almost crushed by a gigantic oak that toppled during the hurricane. Interestingly, my neighbor was himself outside and actually saw the tree as it keeled over-- and while still standing there gawking at the sight, he was smacked upside the head by an empty coffee can that came blowing in from somewhere...

That didn't hurt him much... but the thought of that tree landing on his house definitely got his attention. Meanwhile, we had deaths in this county due to Hurricane Matthew, and a year later, a few more deaths during Hurricane Irma.

My point is just this: you can get it-- outta the blue-- no matter where you are! :laugh2:

Bottom line? Some dreams are to die for, and if you want the beach then by God: I hope that this is what you get... and I hope you LOVE it! :thumb:

I'm not about to get into some gun spiel here, except that I will note that we are indeed extremely reasonable when it comes to firearms ownership, and our laws strongly favor the defender in criminal assault cases.

Which is one reason why we're only #25 on the violent crime index, even though we're #3 in terms of population... :thumb:

Florida is also a very unfriendly-towards-criminals state when it comes to our statutes and sentencing guidelines. We saw our rate of violent crime plummet by 41% in just one year (back in 1992) when we introduced our 10-20-Life anti-firearms crimes laws.

Here, we punish criminals who use guns in their capers. We do *not* penalize the innocent, or responsible firearms owners. And we don't make excuses for violent criminals.

Still, rest assured of this:

If you use a firearm in self-defense in this state, be prepared to have the state shove a microscope up your ass while evaluating the legality of your actions. They WILL do this, and every so often we get somebody who claims self-defense who goes off to prison anyway. And mind you: every firearm crime listed in our laws carries a mandatory minimum sentence...

Which is yet another reason the crime rate is so low down here. The crooks know that they're fair game for a shooting if they push their shit too far, and meanwhile the public is aware that a concealed weapons permit or just legitimate firearms ownership will not save your butt if you shoot when you shouldn't be shooting.

NOT that I expect you to do anything irresponsible, mind you. You seem like a stand up guy to me, and I think you're going to be a very fine resident of Florida... :thumb:

Last thing to say here-- and I'm only gonna touch on it briefly-- is to say this much:

Despite having met so many new residents over the last few years, I have noticed that not a one of them seems to wish to duplicate the conditions of the state they abandoned in favor of Florida.

I'm serious here. One can spout all the rhetoric and claptrap they wish to spew, but certain realities remain the same... and one of them seems to be this: none of the n00bs are particularly hot to really screw things up here, and in fact, most have verbalized the same motivations for coming here that you alluded to in your post...

That is: they don't want things to be the same as whatever state they came in from. Instead, they realize that Floridians have got it made for the most part, and that's what they really want in on.

Low taxes, beautiful weather for much of the year, placid racial relations, and leaders who actually understand that their job is to make things better for us, not to fuck shit up while churning headlines... that's Florida.

You are likely to love it here, man.

I have a habit of riding my motorcycle to one of the local convenience stores, to suck down coffee in the parking lot while doing a little people-watching. And as Lt. Dave or Harmony can testify, I seem to be an open enough person that strangers will often stop to gab with me a little after finding me out there quaffing caffeine...

So I had this one guy who had recently moved in from a northeastern state come walking up to shoot the shit. He told me how happy he was to be living in Central Florida, and of course I did my best to make him feel welcome here...

So I asked the guy what he liked best about Florida, and he stammered that he didn't even know where to start. I watched as he ransacked his brain trying to compose something that would be coherent to me, and then laughed when he finally blurted, "It's like I moved back to the United States or something!" :laugh2:

Some fret that our nation is becoming "Balkanized" as a result of some of the differences between our population. But here in Florida we don't sweat that shit: we're part of the United States, yes-- but we don't actually care too much about most of what's cooking in another state.

Why would we? :laugh2:

***************​

My only complaint is that the infrastructure of public systems has been overloaded by such a huge number of new residents coming in so quickly. We've got gridlock traffic everywhere, vast sections of wilderness are being converted into cookie-cutter housing tracts, and so forth.

BUT, for all that we're still very happy to be here... and so are our new residents. I've been in this state for over 40 years now, and I tell ya: I loved the place at first sight, and I love it more than ever unto this very day.

***************​

I wish you nothing but the best, no matter what you choose to do. If I may be of assistance to you, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help you out.

View attachment 518960
WELCOME TO FLORIDA, MIKE!

View attachment 518961

--R :thumb:
Dude, are you the Governor of Florida? If not you should run for that office!!!!!!!!
Cheers

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dude, are you the Governor of Florida? If not you should run for that office!!!!!!!!
Cheers
:laugh2:

Well, I was thinkin' about it... :hmm:

But then I got a load of the governor's mansion, realized that I didn't like the looks of the joint, and further considered my extreme reluctance to live in the Panhandle... :shock:

Don't get me wrong: there are parts of the Panhandle and South Florida that are absolutely gorgeous... I wouldn't slag any part of my state, really. I used to live in Miami, and I even liked it there... just not as much as I like Central Florida.

Then I got to thinking about how being the Governor of Florida would interfere with my ability to help moderate this website-- and that's where the idea died altogether.

What can I tell you? A man has got to have his priorities straight, or he'll never be happy!

--R :laugh2:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

Well, I was thinkin' about it... :hmm:

But then I got a load of the governor's mansion, realized that I didn't like the looks of the joint, and further considered my extreme reluctance to live in the Panhandle... :shock:

Don't get me wrong: there are parts of the Panhandle and South Florida that are absolutely gorgeous... I wouldn't slag any part of my state, really. I used to live in Miami, and I even liked it there... just not as much as I like Central Florida.

Then I got to thinking about how being the Governor of Florida would interfere with my ability to help moderate this website-- and that's where the idea died altogether.

What can I tell you? A man has got to have his priorities straight, or he'll never be happy!

--R :laugh2:

Hmmm, Escambia Bay? :rofl: :rofl:

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's funny cuz I bolted out of FL when I had the chance... greener grass or something like that. I got sick of the heat and hurricanes.

St. Augustine is nice.
Jax is a Navy Base.
The Panhandle is Alabama.
Central is nice but touristy in places, I grew up there.
Southwest FL is ok but outside of Tampa it's a hard pass for me.

I should specify that while what Rob says about South FL is true, it's still a very diverse place depending on the mile marker.

Palm Beach is still very Florida, but also New York CITY, and OH GOD IT'S SO HARD TO FIND A GOOD NEW YORK BAGEL AROUND HERE DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE PIZZA. I still own a house there that I really want to get rid of, but I need to hang onto it a couple more years so I don't lose my shirt. But easily my favorite place to live in FL so far.

And Miami is just an extension of Latin America. It's fun, but worst traffic in the world, I'd never live there.

pnuggett

Reaction score
How many more transplants from New York, California, etc. can Florida take before it's not Florida anymore?
I'd hate to see it get progressified.

Rando375

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodbye California - Hello Florida

Out of the fire and into the frying pan. I'd choose the pan too ;)

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! Packing and moving cross country is a major PITA.

And not cheap either.

But once it's done, and you sit back and take in the new sights and smells, it's worth it.
Screw that. Have a moving sale, let the shit go cheap, then buy new once you get to FL. Save yourself a ton of money in moving charges because moving companies charge by the pound.

Cost wifey and me $3,500 just to move intrastate here in Mich. I learned the hard way.
[/QUOTE]

Yea no kidding!

I briefly looked into moving costs, and I'm getting quotes like 8K - 10K !

Then I've got guitars and amps to move which I hate to put in a moving van, but if I take with me in the truck, then I'm unloading and loading at every hotel stop.

Yep. Moving is a PITA even before you get started!

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many more transplants from New York, California, etc. can Florida take before it's not Florida anymore?
I'd hate to see it get progressified.
It won't get progressified by me for sure.

I'm from SE Georgia originally, so NE Fla, is just kind of like an extension of Georgia, but in Fla.

Georgia is even starting to get a little sideways on itself.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decades back, our guvner wanted to buy NW FL and bring it in to our state... Glad he didn't pull it off in a way... Them sumbitches are crazy halfway or so between our line and the coastline... Good stumpwater though...

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Also, until you learn FL, steer clear of NW FL... Nuff said....
[/QUO, Ouch. Being from NW Florida, I have to literally laugh out loud at seeing an Alabamian insult my home state and region.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being from NW Florida, I have to literally laugh out loud at seeing an Alabamian insult my home state and region.
Every state has its interesting areas... Oh, We have ours too...

(We're trying to keep the carpetbaggers out of down here... Geeze)

Latest Threads