Goodbye California - Hello Florida

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I recently retired from the job that brought me out here 26 yrs ago, and the kids are grown and gone, and the cat died, I figure what the hell am I staying here for, when all my family is back east.

Nice weather? Yep it's here.

But gets a D- on just about everything else.

The taxes here are eating my income away, and really I'm just tired of beige houses. Here you can get your house painted in four shades of beige. Beige, Beige, Beige, or Beige.

So,,,,, after some heavy duty politickin with Mama, she's agreed to leave her banking job and friends and head east.

Were kinda focusing on the St. Augustine / Palm Coast area right now. We'll be taking a trip over there soon and scope out the area.

We're both kinda stoked! We figure we can sell our place here, and get something near the water there, that's not BEIGE.

Not to mention that Florida is a firearm friendly state, whereas California is 180 out from that!

And no we're not bringing any California "Ideals" with us!

That's all I got to say about that...

:fingersx:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Is there some law that limits house color to beige, or is that just what CA people do?

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving itself sucks one of the biggest D's in this world. Some people fare better at it. Moving to a nicer place usually helps.

Good luck and Bon Voyage
Yep! Packing and moving cross country is a major PITA.

And not cheap either.

But once it's done, and you sit back and take in the new sights and smells, it's worth it.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there some law that limits house color to beige, or is that just what CA people do?

In SoCal, it's mostly local neighborhood covenants and bylaws.

Even more so in an association, which are everywhere.

Sheep pens.....

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll need this

Already did research the hurricane paths for the last 100 years, and that area rarely takes a direct hit.

Quite a few skirt up the coast there.

I grew up in Savannah, and we're quite familiar with Hurricanes there.

Those don't bother me considering Calif. is going to be split in two in the not too distant future when the big one hits.

And it's overdue.Take a look at what the ring of fire has been producing lately!

Olds442

Reaction score
it's overdue.Take a look at what the ring of fire has been producing lately!
you're not wrong. we've had some big shakers and frankly, the west coast of the US is overdue for a M6+.

factor in the solar cycles and the increase in coronal holes we're seeing and yeah. shakers on the Pac rim are on the uptick.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re clearly wise and informed enough to make good decisions (i.e., GTFO of California) and you already know a hurricane is NOT a spectator sport.
You’re gonna be fine.

Retired?
If a Big One has its sights on your locale, get on the road ahead of everyone else for a couple hundred miles inland.
Mini vacation.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're not wrong. we've had some big shakers and frankly, the west coast of the US is overdue for a M6+.

factor in the solar cycles and the increase in coronal holes we're seeing and yeah. shakers on the Pac rim are on the uptick.
And don't forget that the magnetic poles are also shifting.......

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re clearly wise and informed enough to make good decisions (i.e., GTFO of California) and you already know a hurricane is NOT a spectator sport. You’re gonna be fine.

Like the reporters that stand out in the middle of a hurricane, to show us how strong the winds are.

I'm waiting for one to wind up with a yield sign stuck in their spleen...

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Absolutely outstanding, Mike! Go, go, go!

Olds442

Reaction score
And don't forget that the magnetic poles are also shifting.......
yep, this was a doosie.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Since I recently retired from the job that brought me out here 26 yrs ago, and the kids are grown and gone, and the cat died, I figure what the hell am I staying here for, when all my family is back east.

Nice weather? Yep it's here.

But gets a D- on just about everything else.

The taxes here are eating my income away, and really I'm just tired of beige houses. Here you can get your house painted in four shades of beige. Beige, Beige, Beige, or Beige.

So,,,,, after some heavy duty politickin with Mama, she's agreed to leave her banking job and friends and head east.

Were kinda focusing on the St. Augustine / Palm Coast area right now. We'll be taking a trip over there soon and scope out the area.

We're both kinda stoked! We figure we can sell our place here, and get something near the water there, that's not BEIGE.

Not to mention that Florida is a firearm friendly state, whereas California is 180 out from that!

And no we're not bringing any California "Ideals" with us!

That's all I got to say about that...

:fingersx:
I’ll be here, wistfully watching another break free of this fuckin place.
Just make sure to do something with alligators when you get there. Make a belt, fuck one, eat one, raise em, paint their pictures, whatever. Just make sure everyone sees you do it, or they ain’t gonna trust that your CA stink is really warshed off.

Latest Threads