Good years and good wood

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Pet peeve of mine. I wish people would stop asking about good years and others wouldn't make good year claims.

If you feel Gibson somehow makes better guitars during one calendar year, why do you think that way?

If you feel one particular year is better than the rest, could you back it up with actual facts, and not base it on one particular guitar you happen to own?

Thanks.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
That's a good point. I have a 2001 R9, it's very special, sn is 9 183X. However, I bought it used from GC and it's somewhat mysterious.

My best guess is, it was made around 9/11. I call it my 9/11 conspiracy theory.

We all remember that time, businesses banded together to stimulate demand and avoid a recession. The months that followed 9/11 felt different, I can't imagine an American factory being immune to that.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Every LP that comes up for sale was made during the "good wood years" (which apparently stretch across several decades and include every single production year). All those guitars are also the best playing and sounding LPs those sellers have owned, out of many.

It's just bullsh*t sales speak. Anyone who has read more than a half-dozen FS posts learns to ignore it as useless (though that doesn't seem to stop people from writing it). Plays like butter, Tele on steroids, woody, organic, breathes, etc.

Whatever.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it don't warp,split, or mold...... it's good wood. The magic is in the fingers and the imagination.

A good guitar does help.......

Reactions: Rds

Tomburst

Reaction score
Every LP that comes up for sale was made during the "good wood years" (which apparently stretch across several decades and include every single production year). All those guitars are also the best playing and sounding LPs those sellers have owned, out of many.

It's just bullsh*t sales speak. Anyone who has read more than a half-dozen FS posts learns to ignore it as useless (though that doesn't seem to stop people from writing it). Plays like butter, Tele on steroids, woody, organic, breathes, etc.

Whatever.
Agree completely about 'good wood year' being used to make an advertised guitar appear to be more desirable. When I see that I immediately think that the seller is insincere and either just repeating what they've read or are just trying it on with the buying public. The year it was made has no bearing on that actual guitar. However, 'woody' or 'fat tele' could be an accurate description of an individual guitar and not necessarily sales speak.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
To be fair the wood does matter, or any other material.

Wood or other, it's about the mass not the material.

RAG7890

Reaction score
..........are we talking about buying or selling?

:cheers2:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does this extend to claims that "they're really killing it on these 2019s" (or something similar)? You could insert any current year at that particular time, but there's a lot of that going around lately.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pet peeve of mine. I wish people would stop asking about good years and others wouldn't make good year claims.

If you feel Gibson somehow makes better guitars during one calendar year, why do you think that way?

If you feel one particular year is better than the rest, could you back it up with actual facts, and not base it on one particular guitar you happen to own?

Thanks.
Amen!!