Good tube/valve online stores.

Matty

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good seller of NOS tubes that is in or ships to Australia? I'd like to try some NOS tubes but it's pretty daunting trying to filter the good from the bad, it'd be good to know of a trusted store to deal with. Cheers guys.:thumb:

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I no longer trust the vendors in the US for the most part. Even the reputable ones seem to regard an order to Australia as an opportunity to send sub-standard sh1te knowing that the cost of postage will probably cause the buyer not to bother looking for a refund.

Examples of crap I've had from US based vendors incude:
* a pair of supposedly 'ANOS' 5881s that were clearly and obviously heat damaged, meaning they were nothing like 'almost NOS';
* a premium, triple mica, black plate 6072 that was noisy and tested weak;
* a matched pair of 6L6GCs that were nothing like matched;
* a two supposedly matched pairs of 5881s that between them made a single matched pair and two spare singles.

All of these were from reputable online dealers like KCA and Brent Jesse, with whom many on this board have nothing but good experiences. I would forget it.

There are some good vendors of vintage glass here, and their prices are about the same as in USsia. Drop me a PM and I'll get you some contact details.

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Eurotubes
have never done me wrong....but they are mainly modern JJ tubes only for the most part. They are great with communication, and will helyou narrow down what you want/need/troubleshooting etc...even if you dont buy...or have already bought something else somewhere else.

Shoulda fully read your post, sorry....still a good source for advice.

bufbills

Reaction score
I think member Lespaul01 would ship down under.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I have had good dealings with Lespaul01. I also have had good dealings with some smaller guys on ebay that only sell tubes once in a while. I had some power tubes that were kind of expensive from KCA. One failed right out of the box ( wouldn't bias correctly, thermal runaway) but KCA shipped me a new matching tube at no cost. These things happen, and you have to hold them to their reputation when they do, otherwise you will be out some money. I would buy from any of these guys with confidence.

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do your self a favor and spend your efforts ($$$) on the 'pre tubes' ONLY
V1-V2 on your tone quest.

My 2 cnts, :thumb:

Matty

Reaction score
A blast from the past. :thumb:

I ended up getting a stash of old tubes and am very happy with them. None failed yet so that's a bonus too. Got some Amperex EL84s that made a big difference in my JTM18. :thumbs:

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thread's four years old, mate. :thumb:

Oh ****, really? sarry. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Matte:
Yea, I just scored one in the MLP Member classifieds about 3 hrs ago from Fiftywattmafia! (great seller buy the way)
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/345329-fs-12ax7-amperex-mullards-some-nice-les-paul-parts-faber-creamtone-grover.html

Gonna put that little NOS Holland gem in a class 5, that's sittn pretty on top a set of pre rola greenbacks I scored off of Joe Satriani a couple months back. :dude:

That little 5 watt Marshall actually pushes them to break up, I was shocked how bad ass it sounds! :shock: Its like a little mini plexi, i swear!

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A blast from the past. :thumb:

I ended up getting a stash of old tubes and am very happy with them. None failed yet so that's a bonus too. Got some Amperex EL84s that made a big difference in my JTM18. :thumbs:

Did you goose up V1 and V2 with NOS glass, too?

Matty

Reaction score
Did you goose up V1 and V2 with NOS glass, too?

Yeah I got quite a few Amperex and Mullard 12AX7s that I've spread through my amps and also some Mullard and Tesla EL34s, a GE 6L6 and a cool 6V6 (can't remember the brand) to use in my SE 10 watt Phaez amps (I have 3 of them). The 10 Watters are really cool to tube roll with as they take EL34, KT66, 6V6 and 6L6 tubes. Cathode biased. :dude:

I got a NP Gold Lion KT66 so it's the odd duck. :p

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got quite a few Amperex and Mullard 12AX7s that I've spread through my amps and also some Mullard and Tesla EL34s, a GE 6L6 and a cool 6V6 (can't remember the brand) to use in my SE 10 watt Phaez amps (I have 3 of them). The 10 Watters are really cool to tube roll with as they take EL34, KT66, 6V6 and 6L6 tubes. Cathode biased. :dude:

I got a NP Gold Lion KT66 so it's the odd duck. :p

I was talking to Fred (Divided by 13) a while back, about an amp he had built me that took kt66s, (well it was a standard model he sold, so, not like he built it JUST for me, per say:laugh2:)

Any rate, I asked him his thoughts about NOS KT66s for it and he just laughed and said, "what r you, ****n NUTS?! :laugh2:" he said they break if you look at them wrong and would NOT respond or sound any better tonally. I took his word on that one and prolly saved a butload because of it.

How do you like your Randy builds? I have ALMOST bought one, like a zillion times but something always seems to come up for some reason, right before I ever pull the trigger on one! :dunno:

El Kabong

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good seller of NOS tubes that is in or ships to Australia? I'd like to try some NOS tubes but it's pretty daunting trying to filter the good from the bad, it'd be good to know of a trusted store to deal with. Cheers guys.:thumb:

If you just bought new ones when you first posted this they would be NOS by now... :naughty:

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you just bought new ones when you first posted this they would be NOS by now... :naughty:

:lol::lol: Darn - I forgot to check when the OP posted, only saw the latest :doh:
:rofl:

kakao

Reaction score
Eurotubes are excellent, as opposed to srs-webstore.

Matty

Reaction score
I was talking to Fred (Divided by 13) a while back, about an amp he had built me that took kt66s, (well it was a standard model he sold, so, not like he built it JUST for me, per say:laugh2:)

Any rate, I asked him his thoughts about NOS KT66s for it and he just laughed and said, "what r you, ****n NUTS?! :laugh2:" he said they break if you look at them wrong and would NOT respond or sound any better tonally. I took his word on that one and prolly saved a butload because of it.

How do you like your Randy builds? I have ALMOST bought one, like a zillion times but something always seems to come up for some reason, right before I ever pull the trigger on one! :dunno:

I love my Phaez amps, they sound exactly as described for a good price. Great bang for your buck. :thumb:

RAG7890

Reaction score
Do your self a favor and spend your efforts ($$$) on the 'pre tubes' ONLY
V1-V2 on your tone quest.

My 2 cnts, :thumb:

+ 1 Jeff, :thumb: :applause:

V1 is the most critical.

I actually tested 2 x RCA 6V6GTA's yesterday over at a friend's place (Amp Builder & Tech Barrie Marie) & w2as amazed at how good the construction of these Tubes were (early '60's).

They had Double D Getters in the Base & the Glass seemed to be double the thickness of current offerings.

Had them from ~ 18 month but never unpacked them..............got them from a Forum Member who bought them for a project & no longer needed them. :thumb:

Matty, there is a solid supply of NOS here in Australia. I am going through all this stuff now so if you need any help, let me know.

Cheers, Rudi

Matty

Reaction score
Thanks Rudi, but I'm pretty good for now. I might hit you up further down the track if necessary. :thumb:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
For new tubes I buy from tube depot. They've got good prices, pack their tubes well, and will burn in for a small fee. For NOS or UOS I trawl ebay.

Latest Threads