Good quality over ear headphones

JTM45

Reaction score
I just got the Bose quiet comforts and for flying I think they’re fantastic, great lows, full sound, very comfortable.

Walt_T

Reaction score
I have the Sony MDR-7506 as well. Sound great, comfortable, and a long coiled cord. I love them.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Gotta give the Grado's a +1....
A +2 here for Grado. I have the SR-325e. They are open back, versus the excellent Sony which are sealed. I also have the old (original?) version of the MDR-7506, the MDR-V6. They still sound quite good too.

I like the open back as I can listen to a song and hear my guitar quite well through the headphone drivers.

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
Probably not what OP was thinking...

With headphones I generally set a budget ...then let my ears do the rest.

My most recent purchase was Skullcandy Hesh II.....

I snagged them for $49.00 new.....great bang for $$.... for use with my Ipad or Chromebook.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
We have two sets of noise canceling head sets — one Bose and one Artiste brand. Sorry, I don’t have model numbers. Both sound good to me, but I am not an audiophile. The noise canceling function is a must for use on long flights to block sound frequencies that cause fatigue.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Sony MDR 7506. These are sometimes referred to as the studio engineer's secret. Musician's Friend had them on sale for $79.99 shipped before Christmas, that's the price I wait for. They also have the advantage of having lots of knock-off earpads available on eBay for ~$10, so when you ruin the stock pads you don't have to throw them away.

Cheap, accurate and reliable. I've had the predecessor model (V6) working in heavy rotation for over 20 years. Also have Beyer, AKG, Tascam, Bose, Koss and many others...

Last edited:

winexprt

Reaction score
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ccu_holiday_gifts&referer=YQD26J&mode=guest_open&iterableCampaignId=467262&iterableTemplateId=664474

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones

Simply the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. Had them for about 3 months now.

I'm hearing details in songs I never knew were there before.

These are open-backed so not at all sound isolating, but if sound quality is a priority I can't recommend these enough. Some headphone that cost 3x as much don't sound as good.

RichBrew

Reaction score
A +2 here for Grado. I have the SR-325e...
Another vote for the SR325e, although not over ear, and they leak sound like there's no tomorrow.

I bought a pair last August and found them to be a revelation. I'm hearing stuff on recordings I've never heard before; the detail is that good.

On top of that, they deliver a neutral response, so nothing overpowers anything else in a mix.

Put 50 - 100 hours on them, sit back, and hear music as it was recorded,

Becker34

Reaction score
I use AKG K-240 for everything - work (radio), personal use and for production work. They're semi-open so they aren't as good in a noisy environment. However, you can wear them all day and not realize you have them on. You can usually find them for around $80 on Amazon.

I've got a set of the Sony's that several others have mentioned as my #2 cans. They seem a little shrill in the mid highs and a little lacking in the low end to me, but they're decent cans.

splatter

Reaction score
bought my son some bose this Christmas. They were the refurbished for $150 I think they aren't noise canceling but they sound great. Noise-canceling were $200 I think.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Another vote for the SR325e, although not over ear, and they leak sound like there's no tomorrow.

I bought a pair last August and found them to be a revelation. I'm hearing stuff on recordings I've never heard before; the detail is that good.

On top of that, they deliver a neutral response, so nothing overpowers anything else in a mix.

Put 50 - 100 hours on them, sit back, and hear music as it was recorded,
ConfusedL1.gif

How are they not over the ear? Yes, the detail is startling at first.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
WRT to the Grados (and other open-backs): be advised that they don't keep out outside noise, and by the same token don't keep your music away from the people around you.

Latest Threads