Good places to buy Gibson Historic reissues in the UK?

Andrius Dobrotinas

Reaction score
Does anyone know of good places to buy Gibson Historic reissues in the UK (in person, not online) which have a nice selection of these guitars?
What is the expected price of an R9 (or whatever it's called these days) in UK?
I've heard that a lot of shops do discounts on Historics in the USA. Is it the case with shops in the UK too?

roses

Reaction score
Yeah I would recommend Peach guitars. They usually have a pretty wide range of Custom Shop guitars and they have the best pictures on their website. Their new saloon store looks totally epic too. Good finance deals or if you pay outright I think they do still negotiate a bit on price.

grayd8

Reaction score
Expect to pay an extra £80 for a CITES certificate if you will be taking it out of the UK.

Honestly, the better gear deals to be had in the UK are on British amps. I just picked up a
limited run JCM 800 2203X (Silver Jubilee color scheme) in near mint condition for £999 from
a shop in Exeter.

Lebond

Reaction score
Peach Guitars in Colchester and World Guitars in Gloucestershire both have a good selection of historics.

Richtone Music in Sheffield also have a few Historics in at discount prices at the moment.

Lebond

Reaction score
You will save quite a bit of money buying second hand. But if you're looking for a particular year or model one might not be available.

So you have to either be patient and wait or buy new. I've got GAS for a True Historic at the moment, unfortunately they don't come up for sale second hand here in the UK very often. I'm having to resist the urge to buy TH8 new...for now.

joff

Reaction score
Guitar Village in Surrey only have a couple left now and that is apparently it for them for the foreseeable future...i have heard that you will probably get a very good deal on one there. :fingersx:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I've bought online from both Peach and World Guitars. Jeff at WG was a legend - he once mailed me an amp to try and then had it collected again when it wasn't quite for me, all for no charge.

Reactions: BBD

BBD

Reaction score
I've bought online from both Peach and World Guitars. Jeff at WG was a legend - he once mailed me an amp to try and then had it collected again when it wasn't quite for me, all for no charge.

Thanks Tolm. I'm always on the lookout for useful info about UK dealers. WG sounds like one to add to the approved list :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Another +1 for World Guitars. I've bought 2 RIs from them. Can't speak highly enough of them. They also can take orders for Made-2-Measure, if you decide to go down that route.

I'll also happily recommend Andertons. First rate for customer service. Whether you're a gigging musician or can barely play a tune, they treat you the same. I wish more music shops were like that.

UK shops are less likely to wheel-and-deal like you'll find in USA shops, so don't be offended if they won't haggle at all. Part of the problem is that there just aren't anywhere near as many RIs floating around over here as there are in the US.

PierM

Reaction score
I'll also happily recommend Andertons. First rate for customer service.

They have not that much at the moment. Two or three TH, and a couple of M2M, and crazy prices if you ask me, but I see UK has much higher prices than the rest of the EU.

Stuff

Reaction score
They have not that much at the moment. Two or three TH, and a couple of M2M, and crazy prices if you ask me, but I see UK has much higher prices than the rest of the EU.

Strictly RIs and THs? No, not many. Custom Shop Les Pauls, including their 'Artist Inspired By' series built through the M2M programme? I'm counting 18 on the website atm. (I'm counting 31 on Peach Guitars' website atm, and 38 on World Guitars atm).

Prices are in line with other UK outlets, and broadly comparable with the costs of buying from Thomann if you're in the UK.

Yes, prices are crazy. Most items imported into the UK see substantial markups. Currency devaluations over the last 12 months have not helped. It's why we talk about 'Rip Off Britain' so much :(

PierM

Reaction score
Yes, prices are crazy. Most items imported into the UK see substantial markups. Currency devaluations over the last 12 months have not helped. It's why we talk about 'Rip Off Britain' so much :(

Yeah, so many times I've found great guitars on UK stores, but never managed to click on it because money conversions, back to Euro, was just mental, totally out of market if compared with typical prices. Wondering if Brexit it's gonna change that.. Only UK store where I managed to get a deal, was WildWire but it's a while they are not selling Gibson.

Stuff

Reaction score
Yeah, so many times I've found great guitars on UK stores, but never managed to click on it because money conversions, back to Euro, was just mental, totally out of market if compared with typical prices. Wondering if Brexit it's gonna change that.. Only UK store where I managed to get a deal, was WildWire but it's a while they are not selling Gibson.

(Very friendly folks at WildWire. Very good at remembering their customers too. If they stocked Gibson, I'd have happily recommended them).

Brexit has already made it worse. Fender prices up over 20%, PRS between 10 and 20%. Post-Brexit? Sterling would need to make significant gains to bring prices down. Sterling's currently bumping around at a 20-year low, so anything's possible.

Gibson Custom Shop prices haven't gone up as much. We saw steep price rises when True Historic came out in 2015, but not so much since then (for Custom Shop - USA line is a different conversation). Some of the Custom Shop guitars in the stores atm went on sale before sterling devaluations.

Gibson have lost a number of dealerships in recent years. But, compared to early 2015 when I bought my RIs, there are more Custom Shop Les Pauls in UK stores.

The OP has more choice, if his bank balance allows :)

Latest Threads