Good Inexpensive Effects/Distortion Pedal For A Noob

LPJNoob

Reaction score
I can't afford hundreds of dollars worth of pedals, I'm just looking for a cheap, good pedal in the $25-$40 range that's halfway decent and will last. I'm probably asking for the impossible here, but it's worth a shot.

Any names to look for?

Zepp76

Reaction score
It all depends on what type of effect you want? Check out the EHX soul food and the EHX big muff pi nano. The first is a boost/overdrive pedal the second is a fuzz that will give you some great sounds, both are around the $72 mark new not sure what they go for used, worth a look though and if you want to splash a bit more cash look at a Wah pedal, great fun!

coxmatthewj

Reaction score
i can recommend the joyo sweet baby. got one new for around 32 bucks off amazon. works great and sounds good. give them a look.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Any Joyo overdrive will get you what you're looking for. I personally dig the Ultimate Drive...it's an OCD clone and sounds awesome. Does low gain really well and gets pretty high gain, all things considered. Transparent, really responsive...great pedal! And $30...heck yeah.

If you're looking for a low gain OD, then go with the Sweet Baby as mentioned above. If you want more gain range, the Ultimate Drive will do well. If you want a mids hump, the vintage overdrive is a TS9/808 clone. Plenty of options out there...I haven't even mentioned all the amps-in-a-box clones they do!

RainbowPunk

Reaction score
I don't own any of them myself, but these aren't bad from what I hear from others.

GFS Guitar Pedals

You can also look into the Danelectro FAB series. Not great, but they run in the $15-$30 range

Colnago1

Reaction score
I started out with the Danelectro FAB pedals. I've moved on to others now, but still have them and plug them in once in a while and they still surprise me with their sound per price ratio.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a mint BBE 427 Distortion I'll sell you cheap. Works/looks perfectly. PM me if your interested.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I can't afford hundreds of dollars worth of pedals, I'm just looking for a cheap, good pedal in the $25-$40 range that's halfway decent and will last. I'm probably asking for the impossible here, but it's worth a shot.

Any names to look for?
Name to look for- JOYO.

lessdrop

Reaction score
I also like the soul food, got mine for 49 new and free shipping. Aso a blues beaker clone, both are nice and od rather than distortion, bb is guit with just a little edge, sf has more bite. If I had to choose one I could not! Good luck with your hunt.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I like the SD1 I bought one from GC used for $15.00 a year ago. I bought a couple Behinger pedals new. Luck of the draw with them. My Behinger Fuzz is a big wild but fun. I also bought a Behringer lesliey effects pedal and it is amazing. That was $49.00 and I use it too much. I find used pedal on the GC site, like my Wah and Volume pedals.

Jnorm

Reaction score
I would go for a used "over the counter" type from Boss, MXR, ProCo, EH, etc....lots of dif' distortion flavors out there to choose from. Check your local GC.

Batman

Reaction score
Like NGG said, What amp?

Tube or SS?

Overdrives sound great into a tube amp but like crap into a SS amp.

Distortions and some Fuzz will work with both.

Latest Threads