Good Gig, Bad Gig!

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One day Edge will be as good as you.

Probably literally quite true. I wonder how often a criminal gets convicted just because of evidence the law finds on his phone. It's like a complete diary of who you are, what you do, where you go, what you say....
You have no idea. It's a pocket-size confession machine.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Aren't all club owners wack jobs?

Great job on the cover, Freddy.
Thanks Def....as far as club owners go that's a pretty accurate generalization. Seedy, slimy, drug or substance addicted.....or mafia. Dealt with soooo many mafia connected club owners over the years. But I tell you what....they are the best of the lot....they tend to understand how things work, they always pay, they grease the right wheels....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory is there are no real club owners today.... There are Bufords that think they are but they aren't....

Back in the real clubs days, the owners knew damn well it took money to make money. The advertised like hell. They did all kinds of thing to attract popcorn munchers....including free popcorn (with a LOT of salt)... They made money.

Band at the time was in the newspaper w/ pic along with the next band info to play there w/ pic, Two-week or more rotations at 4-6 nights/wk.

A club in my area back then that made bank from hell, at 4pm there were long tables with white tablecloths with hors devours from HELL, Rusty. 4-6 I think.... every weekday. Think it out, it was brilliant. He had a restaurant upstairs with a real chef and he'd prepare mondo fancy finger vittles with different kinds of nuts too and all the snack stuff....

I asked him how he came out on doing that. "It doesn't cost me shit in the long run. These guys come in after work, start ordering beer and drinks and it doesn't take long to pay for it. My bartender hits that top shelf a few times and it is paid for quick. The rest is gravy. By the time the band shows up, they've filled up on finger food, already had a few drinks and figure 'well since the band is here, I'll stay a while longer' and I make even more money..."

In contrast, a club I worked sound for a bit a few years back, a few of us were sitting at bar before munchers show up and the head bartender was bitching about the lack of crowd, folks nursing one or two beers all night, etc... I said 'well, you can either drop your high ass prices or buy a popcorn machine for over in the corner and keep popcorn on the bar in baskets for barflyers and have baskets to fill for the munchers at the table. Free popcorn to everybody. A 50lb bag doesn't cost shit, neither does the old fashioned popcorn maker you ca get at Costco or Sam's...and salt the hell out of the popcorn. They'll drink and about everybody loves popcorn, especially free." Head bartender's response? "No. We'd have to clean the popcorn off the floor every morning." Whut? You vacuum every morning anyway....

Things that make you go 'Whut?'....

So many clubs over the last several years that don't seem to give a shit if you come in or not. They don't try to make you WANT to come back, etc.. No merch. No advertising or shitty advertising......and then bitch about the band not bringing in a hunnert folks with them. WTF? Take your 'conditioned thinking' about how clubs work and stick it up yo ass. Some of us saw how real club owners made money from hell....and you ain't even close mr. club owner...

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My theory is there are no real club owners today.... There are Bufords that think they are but they aren't....

Back in the real clubs days, the owners knew damn well it took money to make money. The advertised like hell. They did all kinds of thing to attract popcorn munchers....including free popcorn (with a LOT of salt)... They made money.

Band at the time was in the newspaper w/ pic along with the next band info to play there w/ pic, Two-week or more rotations at 4-6 nights/wk.

A club in my area back then that made bank from hell, at 4pm there were long tables with white tablecloths with hors devours from HELL, Rusty. 4-6 I think.... every weekday. Think it out, it was brilliant. He had a restaurant upstairs with a real chef and he'd prepare mondo fancy finger vittles with different kinds of nuts too and all the snack stuff....

I asked him how he came out on doing that. "It doesn't cost me shit in the long run. These guys come in after work, start ordering beer and drinks and it doesn't take long to pay for it. My bartender hits that top shelf a few times and it is paid for quick. The rest is gravy. By the time the band shows up, they've filled up on finger food, already had a few drinks and figure 'well since the band is here, I'll stay a while longer' and I make even more money..."

In contrast, a club I worked sound for a bit a few years back, a few of us were sitting at bar before munchers show up and the head bartender was bitching about the lack of crowd, folks nursing one or two beers all night, etc... I said 'well, you can either drop your high ass prices or buy a popcorn machine for over in the corner and keep popcorn on the bar in baskets for barflyers and have baskets to fill for the munchers at the table. Free popcorn to everybody. A 50lb bag doesn't cost shit, neither does the old fashioned popcorn maker you ca get at Costco or Sam's...and salt the hell out of the popcorn. They'll drink and about everybody loves popcorn, especially free." Head bartender's response? "No. We'd have to clean the popcorn off the floor every morning." Whut? You vacuum every morning anyway....

Things that make you go 'Whut?'....

So many clubs over the last several years that don't seem to give a shit if you come in or not. They don't try to make you WANT to come back, etc.. No merch. No advertising or shitty advertising......and then bitch about the band not bringing in a hunnert folks with them. WTF? Take your 'conditioned thinking' about how clubs work and stick it up yo ass. Some of us saw how real club owners made money from hell....and you ain't even close mr. club owner...
Our next gig is a couple of weeks away at a club I've never been to before but it's well known that it's owned by one of the 5 Italian Mafia families in that city. They have been so great to deal with so far....just like you say Edro, they immediately included us in ads, got our promo material up and posted all over their social media etc.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the Monty's gig last week....they fucked up the date on their marquis.... it said "Lost Boys - Friday Night" But we were actually booked and we played on Saturday night. What a bunch of dufusses! I had a friend email me on Saturday morning telling me that they had a whole gang of people show up on Friday night to see us.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our next gig is a couple of weeks away at a club I've never been to before but it's well known that it's owned by one of the 5 Italian Mafia families in that city. They have been so great to deal with so far....just like you say Edro, they immediately included us in ads, got our promo material up and posted all over their social media etc.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the Monty's gig last week....they fucked up the date on their marquis.... it said "Lost Boys - Friday Night" But we were actually booked and we played on Saturday night. What a bunch of dufusses! I had a friend email me on Saturday morning telling me that they had a whole gang of people show up on Friday night to see us.

It is kind of dumbfounding at times with some clubs.... They dick up their own calendar, list the wrong bands, and even have doubled bookings... A band shows up to set and another band is setting...... and the club owner is like oh well, they showed up irst.... Dayum almighty.... Especially funny when they dick up to the point they have nobody booked for a rotation and have to scramble to find somebody to play.... Way back in the full time club days, every gig we did was by contract.... Contract was a polite way of saying we really don't care what you've dicked up, we're getting paid regardless... There was waaaaaay less dickups back then.... We rarely every played somewhere that would fall in the 'beer joint' category because of what we charged to play.... BUT, if they wanted to pay us what we asked, we'd do it.... Some, we never went back at any price.... One particular 'country music' late night club, they owner lady that I had known for years decided to give us a try (we were NOT country...a lot of Journey, U2, LZ, lots of stuff others in area didn't even try to play, huge sound & lighting from hell with slider munky and light munky, etc.... We had a two week rotation and wound up house band and got raises we didn't even ask for.... Great place to play... We changed her clientele and made her a lot of money... Still more late hours but would pack it out.... She was great to work for (and we didn't have to strike the stage.... Loved doing house gigs.... We'd do a rotation somewhere else once in a blue moon when we wanted... Come back and pack it again.... As far as she was concerned, we could play there as long as we wanted, rotate when we wanted and come back when we wanted.... Great job....

We did the NCO/OC mil base circuit a good while too.... Easy hours and killer pay for the time.... They knew how to run a club.... Good vittles too..... I'd shmooze the restaurant and kitchen folks when we first rolled in for a rotation and would get very well taken care of... They had banquets and such all the time. One OC on a nearby base, I always showed early to power up my KB stuff to stabilize temp (tuning, Prophet, etc.) and I'd go to grab a coffee from a waitress in the restaurant part and she'd say "we have a table already set in the kitchen for y'all to have a place to eat." Always free, they always over prepared for banquets, so we ate there all the time.... Sometimes seafood, sometimes steaks, sometimes steamship round.... Oh yeah..... Miss those days.... One naval base, the club mgr had standing orders in the restaurant and pizza cafe in club to 'treat us right'... Many times free (pizza always) or have a big steak and such and the ticket would say grilled cheese and water.... Went out of their way to keep us happy.... They'd make you WANT to play for them. Great days back then.... Almost went overseas for USO but our wives didn't much like that idea... Woulda been cool.... Not lift/set/strike anything, food, housing, local transportation, crew, airplane, etc.... Damnit....

I Break Things

Reaction score
It is kind of dumbfounding at times with some clubs.... They dick up their own calendar, list the wrong bands, and even have doubled bookings... A band shows up to set and another band is setting...... and the club owner is like oh well, they showed up irst.... Dayum almighty.... Especially funny when they dick up to the point they have nobody booked for a rotation and have to scramble to find somebody to play.... Way back in the full time club days, every gig we did was by contract.... Contract was a polite way of saying we really don't care what you've dicked up, we're getting paid regardless... There was waaaaaay less dickups back then.... We rarely every played somewhere that would fall in the 'beer joint' category because of what we charged to play.... BUT, if they wanted to pay us what we asked, we'd do it.... Some, we never went back at any price.... One particular 'country music' late night club, they owner lady that I had known for years decided to give us a try (we were NOT country...a lot of Journey, U2, LZ, lots of stuff others in area didn't even try to play, huge sound & lighting from hell with slider munky and light munky, etc.... We had a two week rotation and wound up house band and got raises we didn't even ask for.... Great place to play... We changed her clientele and made her a lot of money... Still more late hours but would pack it out.... She was great to work for (and we didn't have to strike the stage.... Loved doing house gigs.... We'd do a rotation somewhere else once in a blue moon when we wanted... Come back and pack it again.... As far as she was concerned, we could play there as long as we wanted, rotate when we wanted and come back when we wanted.... Great job....

We did the NCO/OC mil base circuit a good while too.... Easy hours and killer pay for the time.... They knew how to run a club.... Good vittles too..... I'd shmooze the restaurant and kitchen folks when we first rolled in for a rotation and would get very well taken care of... They had banquets and such all the time. One OC on a nearby base, I always showed early to power up my KB stuff to stabilize temp (tuning, Prophet, etc.) and I'd go to grab a coffee from a waitress in the restaurant part and she'd say "we have a table already set in the kitchen for y'all to have a place to eat." Always free, they always over prepared for banquets, so we ate there all the time.... Sometimes seafood, sometimes steaks, sometimes steamship round.... Oh yeah..... Miss those days.... One naval base, the club mgr had standing orders in the restaurant and pizza cafe in club to 'treat us right'... Many times free (pizza always) or have a big steak and such and the ticket would say grilled cheese and water.... Went out of their way to keep us happy.... They'd make you WANT to play for them. Great days back then.... Almost went overseas for USO but our wives didn't much like that idea... Woulda been cool.... Not lift/set/strike anything, food, housing, local transportation, crew, airplane, etc.... Damnit....
I wish I lived in those days...

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
As you guys all know I used to fight roosters in my much younger days. When Tyson fought Douglas I was in Louisiana attending a big fight. The guy I was working for met some friends there. At dinner they were discussing who was in charge of "the family" in each city. Dinner bill was around $500 and they argued over who was paying. If my memory is correct they decided to all pay and left the waitress a HUGE tip. One guy had a scar across his neck from ear to ear. All Italian except for my friend.

Latest Threads