Good Distortion pedal for solos

Shounak

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently using my Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute with humbuckers through a Digitech Grunge pedal for playing solos and leads. Can anyone suggest a good replacement for this pedal. I was looking for the Proco Rat2/Rat Solo or the Big Muff Pi or the Boss DS1. Will any of these give me a better version of the Digitech Grunge Sound? I am also using a MXR Distortion+ to boost the Digitech Grunge Pedal.
Please Help.

Shounak

Reaction score
I am using the Grunge pedal but i do not necessarily play grunge stuff in it. Will the Rat be good for Metallica type solos as well???

sean413

Reaction score
I suggest the wampler triple wreck or a mi megalith... I have both and there great pedals. I will say this that the wampler takes other pedals nicer and the the boost that's in the mi is more useable then boost in wampler... Over all I'm gonna be sad when one goes

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
You don't want more distortion for leads. Try a compressor with the level turned up slightly higher than when it is off for a volume boost when soloing.

Brocko

Reaction score
Have you considered the digitech bad monkey? Basically a tube screamer for £25...

corn_bread

Reaction score
I use a mxr 78 custom badass. I set the crunch button then add output and distortion to taste. gives a nice boost and edge. the output can be upped to give that volume difference and distortion can be added to put it over the top. the crunch button tightens up the bottom and opens up the top end

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KunOA87zI0[/ame]

corn_bread

Reaction score
Stop wasting your money on pedals and get the right amp.....

but if your looking for that edge to just push it over the top then turning up volumes can be a pain. I like simple and this pedal just makes my life easier. plus the knob markings glow in the dark

Shounak

Reaction score
What amp are you using?

I use an orange crush 20W at home for practice..However i don't have my own amp for playing on stage. I use whatever the organizers give. It usually is a 100W amp ranging from Marshall to Laney to Vox. I use the clean channel in those amps since i have never used them before and i don't want to experiment with tone in a gig. Its not feasible for me to get a good stage amp because of traveling issues. So can you suggest some good pedals for my case...to be used with a clean amp...??

My guitar set up:
Guitar((Les Paul 50s Tribute)) >>>>Tuner >Vox 847 Wah >Boss CS3 >Digitech Grunge >Boss BD2 >MXR 104 >Danelectro Fab Chorus > Digitech Digidelay >>> Amp

I want to replace the Grunge after the Boss CS3...to get tones like pearl jam..etc...What are the options???

p90fool

Reaction score
Stop wasting your money on pedals and get the right amp.....

An awful lot of traveling pros use pedals for gain, amp-only drive is actually pretty rare unless you're in AC/DC, or in your bedroom.

OP, it's very hard to answer your question without knowing what you'd prefer more or less of frequency-wise, or whether you want grainy or smooth.

Don't be railroaded into the most expensive pedals though, it's all about your needs and preferences, price has practically zero to do with it. You'll find plenty of Boss and Danelectro pedals on stadium stages.

libertarian

Reaction score
Since the question is about solos I would recommend looking into something different than distortion or volume boosts. My "secret weapon" for years now has been to add an eq post distortion or post preamp to boost mid frequencies. This makes the sound cut through the mix and add sustain without driving the sound guy insane and without adding fizzy mushy frequencies.

There are different ways to do this and various places in the signal chain but generally speaking this can be a very powerful and cheap for that "solo boost".

Batman

Reaction score
^ +1

This is what I do as well. Use whatever gain you choose for rhythm then step on the EQ for the solo boost.

I like it as I can shape the gain from the previous stages and boost the mid frequencies exactly how I choose. I've got an older MIJ Boss GE7 but if I were to buy new it would be the MXR 10-band. . .a lot of versatility plus a gain slider to boost the volume slightly.

libertarian

Reaction score
I use an orange crush 20W at home for practice..However i don't have my own amp for playing on stage. I use whatever the organizers give. It usually is a 100W amp ranging from Marshall to Laney to Vox. I use the clean channel in those amps since i have never used them before and i don't want to experiment with tone in a gig. Its not feasible for me to get a good stage amp because of traveling issues. So can you suggest some good pedals for my case...to be used with a clean amp...??

My guitar set up:
Guitar((Les Paul 50s Tribute)) >>>>Tuner >Vox 847 Wah >Boss CS3 >Digitech Grunge >Boss BD2 >MXR 104 >Danelectro Fab Chorus > Digitech Digidelay >>> Amp

I want to replace the Grunge after the Boss CS3...to get tones like pearl jam..etc...What are the options???

Now that I saw your actual chain let me add to my point regarding the EQ. Since your distortion TONE is based on a pedal I would start with finding the right pedal that has the sound you're after. If you like what you have now I would throw in an EQ after the distortion pedals (or at least after the one that you want to use for your lead tone).

You already know about the old compressor/limiter trick so you're set with that.

As much as we all like to tinker with distortion pedals and/or preamps, the most important tools of the trade (to me) are - in that order- EQ, EQ, EQ, (good digital) Delay, Chorus, maybe some compression, oh and then EQ.

Everything else is usually barely usable or at best a gimmick or stuff that beginners get sucked into - or bed room playing "vintage" freaks with money to burn.

So what to get? a) if you are looking for another distortion TONE: I'm heavily in love with my newly acquired OCD (version 7).

b) any EQ pedal really; OR an older Boss 9.5" rack unit (with switchable true bypass!) such as the GE-21 (hope this doesn't lead to prices going up for that one...). My next toy will be the programmable 7-band EQ pedal by Source Audio. Four or so programmable settings that can be selected with the main switch or by midi. Endless possibilities for around $150. It's basically four Boss GE-7 units (or so) in one box.

Source Audio Programmable EQ

I'm personally looking to actually put this one BEFORE the distortion to fine tune different guitars to my rig.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I use an orange crush 20W at home for practice..However i don't have my own amp for playing on stage. I use whatever the organizers give.

IMHO, unless they ain't miking the cabs, 20W oughta be enough. I see cats playing 5 watters on stage, and with all the new digital stuff, you don't even have to have any stage volume at all. Just double check the cabinet for impedance, and if it don't match up, just mic the speaker in the Orange, but always better to run your own amp. Even using the clean channel whatever you plug into is gonna dramatically affect your tone, no matter what pedals you use.

Of course, I'm a moron, so don't pay me any attention :lol:

stealthelephant

Reaction score
Don't get lost with ur pedals. Let the PA do its job. U r supposed to be giving a show on stage - it looks awful watching a guitarist bang on a pedal if its not done seamlessly.

That being said - why not use a PRS or other guitar where the volume knob is at ur pinky?

libertarian

Reaction score
Don't get lost with ur pedals. Let the PA do its job. U r supposed to be giving a show on stage - it looks awful watching a guitarist bang on a pedal if its not done seamlessly.

That being said - why not use a PRS or other guitar where the volume knob is at ur pinky?

That very much depends on the playing style and on the type of music. For me that never worked. My volume knobs - at least on stage - are simply on of switches. The motion of using them to clean up the sound is way to shaky and imprecise for the type of music I'm interested in.

I have a feeling the OP may be in a similar situation given the question. I need four base sounds on stage: ultra clean, crunch, high gain rhythm and saturated lead. Can't do that with a volume knob.
And relying on some guy at the sound board who doesn't know your music is not an option really either if you're missing sound nber four in this example.

But I agree that the hopping on too many stomp boxes can become a problem and look silly. Hence my mentioning the midi option for the eq example.

Still rely on midi switchers and multi effects units as if it was 1993. So I don't fully get the pedal and "vintage" hype. My pedals are more for the occasional alternative sound or sugar on top and are more often than not routed out of the signal path.

Oh, and constantly tinkering with the pots looks silly too in my opinion. :)

Latest Threads