Good Boy

Meatwad

Reaction score
I had a thread a while back about taking care of my niece's Dobie at my sister's house while she's overseas.
I've moved into a little place of my own since then, but I still make the drive everyday to pick him up and go for a ride and a walk.
(It's pretty funny that I have to spell out W-A-L-K and R-I-D-E around him if we're just talking about said activities....otherwise he freaks the fuck out if he doesn't get to go.:rofl:)

My niece was home from Bagdad a few weeks back, and the first thing she said when saw me was "Thanks for stealing my dog asshole!!
He follows me around like he's glued to my side. I call him my Velcro Dog.

So, I usually take him up to the college town where I used to work.....lots of trails and watering stations, so it's good for him.
Lots of people I know, and lots of cute college girls.....so it's good for me.;)

He has the best disposition of any Doberman I've ever been around. He loves everybody.

Or so I thought.

On the trail yesterday, I ran into someone who, let's just say, I don't care for very much, and he immediately picked up on that fact.
The hair on his back raised up and he started a low growl.
Next thing I know, he's all out lunging and barking like I've never seen him do before.
Dude jumped off the trail while we went by, and I just shrugged and kept going. Didn't even say a word.

Good boy!!
Made me think of this Bill Burr bit.

disaffected

Reaction score
We had Dobes when I was young. Smartest dogs ever. One was the best d back on touch football field. He would trip whoever had the ball. But definitely one family/person dogs.

Last edited:

Fracture

Reaction score
had the most righteous Doberman for about 3 years when I was 18

I could walk that dog thru a grocery store off lead (and did) he obeyed
'sniff' and 'no sniff'

lost control him when I started letting run some acreage and weeks later
found a pile of rabbit remains

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don’t know why some dog breeds have a bad rep for being mean, when they are not. When I was getting quotes on my homeowners insurance, one company read me a list of breeds that if I owned one, they would not insure me. One breed was Staffordshire terrier. ‘ Staffy” dogs are about 30 lbs grown, have short legs and robust bodies, along with large heads and jaws. In the face, they look a bit like a Pitt. But in England where they were developed they are known as “nanny dogs” because they watch over children. I just visited my adult daughter who has one. The only thing the dog did of any danger to me is that he tried to love me to death! He sat on my lap, licked my face, and constantly wanted me to throw a toy or play tug of war. And he loved to play with kids. I’ve seen more dangerous Yorkies!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First dog we had as a family was a Dobie. Chicken shit but loving. She was brave when it came to protecting my daughter, but afraid of a weed

Walt_T

Reaction score
I could tell you guys a thousand stories about my old best friend Jake the Dobie. When someone came to the door he didn't know, he would bark once, his first and only warning. I had an angry neighbor that called the police saying I had a dangerous dog threatening a child in my home. When they got there, Jake and the baby were cuddling on the rug. They chuckled and went away.
Jake loved my band mate Chazz. He had an old Chevy van, and when he turned onto my street two blocks away Jake heard him and sat at the front door waiting.
I'll love him forever, amazing creature.

Meatwad

Reaction score
It's kind of funny.
When we're out on the trails, my Dobie buddy gets charged at all the time by all kinds of dogs.....mainly the ankle biting variety.
He just looks at them and keeps going.
But....if they come at me, he will try to light their ass up real quick like.
full

For the most part, he's a big whiny baby.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
One of the guys I used to work with had a brother/sister pair of Dobies. The boy was dumb as a box of rocks, but the girl was the judge and if she decided she didn't like someone, the boy was the executioner. For people they liked, they were the sweetest and loving dogs, big babies. But if they flipped that switch, look out.

Latest Threads