Good Bad and Ugly

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
Sometimes you just don't know what you got till it's (almost) gone. So, I have owned a used 2014 Gibson LPJ for a couple years now, my only Gibson, I always felt it was a good playing guitar and got allot of compliments on it from better players then myself. It's bare bones as can be, dull plated hardware, chocolate brown barely satin finish, not what I would call pretty at all. Sound is OK, but would like more "oomph" then I get out of the stock 61 zebra pickups. I really dig Paul Kossoff sound. In the back of my mind I always wanted a "real Les Paul". Anyway, I picked up a new Trad pro V beautiful red wine color, cream binding, asymmetrical neck, all kinds of bling and electronics, push pull stuff up the yin yang. After a few weeks of drooling over it, the honeymoon is over, and I find myself more in love with my old LPJ then ever. I was going to sell it to help pay for the Trad Pro, but now I don't think I can or should
15935142789756293627230376047018.jpg
part with it. The neck is less comfortable, but it's straight as an arrow with no buzz at all anywhere, (I also find my fingers slipping off the bound fretboard if the Trad but not the LPJ) and I never once miss any of that push pull crap. I am thinking of returning the Trad Pro, and doing some upgrades to the LPJ, like Grover high ratio locking tuners, 57 Classic pups, and a bone nut. Any thoughts?

JMP

Reaction score
Both are sweet looking guitars. In my experience, I can get used to most any decent guitar with enough time. After a while, I find myself so acclimated to a particular instrument that when I play other guitars, they don’t feel “right”. I bet that’s what you’re experiencing- you are so used to the Jr that the Trad feel “off”. Invest some play time into the Trad and I bet you’ll start to love it.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
You want locking tuners and a bone nut? If you’re having problems keeping it in tune it’s almost always the nut. Try some lube or Vaseline in the slots before you change anything. A bone nut might be an improvement. Don’t know anything about 61 pups but find 57 pups to be a little dark in a Les Paul, I prefer 59 Tribute pups. For Kossoff sound I might try something bright and underwound.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
You want locking tuners and a bone nut? If you’re having problems keeping it in tune it’s almost always the nut. Try some lube or Vaseline in the slots before you change anything. A bone nut might be an improvement. Don’t know anything about 61 pups but find 57 pups to be a little dark in a Les Paul, I prefer 59 Tribute pups. For Kossoff sound I might try something bright and underwound.
I do like the locking tuners on the Trad pro because of the 18:1 ratio more than any thing else, seems like it's much easier to get really fine tuning and keep it there.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
Wasn't planning on keeping both, it's either make payments on the Trad pro, or return it and do upgrades on the LPJ, I can't really swing both right now. I'm leaning towards the LPJ, I have a feeling I will be kicking myself in the ass down the road if I let it go.

jbash

Reaction score
Until recently my Tribute was a far better sounding guitar than both previous Les Pauls I purchased that were 2x + as expensive.

Could be you are not used to it. Its like buying a new car after alot of years- things are weird at first.

Pretty is nice, but worthless if the tone and playability is not there. Shop around- eventually you'll find one that ticks all the boxes.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, playability is the most important factor. If I don't like the neck of a guitar, then I don't want to own it.

-Jay

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post...
dance with the one that brung ya

also, those white knobs are bananas....love them
where did u get them?

-chris

endial

Reaction score
I've tried numerous times to find reasons to unload my LPJ and have yet to succeed. All I have to do is play it and it goes back into the collection. It ain't broken. Has sentimental value. Plays great. Sounds great (There've been improvements*, and it's a killer guitar for modding). I love the neck. It's a dear, old friend. It's earned its' place and I'm keeping it.

Since I got the LPJ, I've been fortunate to acquire many, much 'better' examples including a Custom. Your time will come for that stuff, and one day you'll be glad you kept that old dog. I certainly am.

Quick fuzzy pic:

LPJ.jpg

*Bone nut. Tuners (not locking, but better ratio). Pickups. Mine came hand wired, stock (No PCB, not that it matters. Just easier to customize.). Keep an eye on the stock bridge as mine had collapsed and needed replaced.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
Great post...
dance with the one that brung ya

also, those white knobs are bananas....love them
where did u get them?

-chris
Thanks, I purchased the knobs online but I can't recall the seller. I do like them, as the original black speed knobs only added to the darkness of the guitar and creme made a nice contrast. If I remember I'll post it.

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
I've tried numerous times to find reasons to unload my LPJ and have yet to succeed. All I have to do is play it and it goes back into the collection. It ain't broken. Has sentimental value. Plays great. Sounds great (There've been improvements*, and it's a killer guitar for modding). I love the neck. It's a dear, old friend. It's earned its' place and I'm keeping it.

Since I got the LPJ, I've been fortunate to acquire many, much 'better' examples including a Custom. Your time will come for that stuff, and one day you'll be glad you kept that old dog. I certainly am.

Quick fuzzy pic:

View attachment 472763

*Bone nut. Tuners (not locking, but better ratio). Pickups. Mine came hand wired, stock (No PCB, not that it matters. Just easier to customize.). Keep an eye on the stock bridge as mine had collapsed and needed replaced.
What did you switch the pickups to? I like the mismatch look it kind of gives it an attitude.

nomadh

Reaction score
On the one hand dont think you should like something because it's supposed to be better or it's more expensive. But on the other hand dont give up on something g that may be superior just because your used to a lesser product.
Which is it? I know a lesser featured guitar can certainly be superior playing to an expensive model. And I dig the raw aesthetics.

Latest Threads