Goldtops

shark

Reaction score
my new obsession is goldtops. been a long time since I sold my last LP, it was just too heavy for me to sling around anymore.
a 5,5 lb ES Paul and a 2007 GOTW Deluxe 7.9 lbs. If I cant hang on to these I need a ukelele . Really ernjoying these two.
gold.jpg

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Does the ES sound any different from a typical LP?

The one with HBs is gone. It was a 77 Deluxe that someone routed for HBs. It had a thin neck and weighed over 10lbs. Still sounded and played good but I prefer thicker necks and lighter weight! The p90 is an MIJ Ornetts and weighs 7.5lbs.

Attachments

shark

Reaction score
oh yes the ES sounds much different. Big and chunky like the 335's. In fact the Deluxe is getting jealous. It can swing both ways clean and sparkly or fat and chunky with some reverb from the body to blend in some. Takes peddles well and high gain also.

Renegade

Reaction score
Congrats!!

I have one of the 2007 GOTW Deluxe Goldtops as well. Very light and the minis sound great.

shark

Reaction score
Mdubya? on your ES did you move the saddles around backwards on the 6th and 5th strings or did it come like that?
Mine had the E turned around and it needed some fine tuning so I turned it back around to match the rest and it seems much better now. OCD all the saddles are in the same direction now :) .
The fine tuning screws are on the pup side not the tailpiece side and that threw me off some too.
Gibson has good pics that showed me the way..thanks guy going to hang out some see what you all been doing

mdubya

Reaction score
Mdubya? on your ES did you move the saddles around backwards on the 6th and 5th strings or did it come like that?
Mine had the E turned around and it needed some fine tuning so I turned it back around to match the rest and it seems much better now. OCD all the saddles are in the same direction now :) .
The fine tuning screws are on the pup side not the tailpiece side and that threw me off some too.
Gibson has good pics that showed me the way..thanks guy going to hang out some see what you all been doing
It came that way. I have been toying with a replacement bridge with brass saddles. I think these are titanium. But I will probably just play it! :thumb:

shark

Reaction score
Im guessing some issue at one point with intonation and maybe someone used different strings other than the 10-48's they come with. I switched mine back around and put 10-48 GHS Gilmours on it and it tuned right up. Intonation was fine. I did see the E string doesnt fit right inside the nut but kind of half way. Dont know If I want to mess with that too much. Might need to drop it off and let a pro take care of the little things. :)

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely pair.... Very nice.

Is that a franklin strap ?

mdubya

Reaction score
Im guessing some issue at one point with intonation and maybe someone used different strings other than the 10-48's they come with. I switched mine back around and put 10-48 GHS Gilmours on it and it tuned right up. Intonation was fine. I did see the E string doesnt fit right inside the nut but kind of half way. Dont know If I want to mess with that too much. Might need to drop it off and let a pro take care of the little things. :)

Mine was a CME Memphis blowout guitar. The strings were dead when it got to me, but it was otherwise unplayed.

It has some heavy handed finishing on the fretboard and the bone nut looks like a mouse might have been chewing on it in spots. It currently has a piece of paper shimming the G string, too.

I put Gibson Vintage RI Pure Nickel 9-42 on it right away and it now has D'Addario Pure Nickel 9-41. Maybe I should check the intonation? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was playing it last night and it just floors me how much it can sound like my ES 330 which, in turn, does this sweet electric acoustic thing with the pickup volumes rolled down, tone knobs dialed in (the ES LP does it, too!), in the middle position. :shock: Sublime.

I should sink a few $$$ into the nut and bridge and some work by a decent luthier. Therein lies the problem. I know a great luthier, but he is so flaky, I won't leave my guitars with him anymore. He kept the last one for four months of unreturned calls and emails. When I finally busted in to get the guitar back, he hadn't touched it and wanted $100 for his time. <smh>

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Can you get the ES in a fat 50s profile neck? I like the idea of an LP shaped guitar that sounds like a 335.

EDIT: just had a look at the price of these things. Probably not for me!

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Can you get the ES in a fat 50s profile neck? I like the idea of an LP shaped guitar that sounds like a 335.

EDIT: just had a look at the price of these things. Probably not for me!
The standard necks on these are medium round, .85-.95. Maybe a little bit bigger.

There is one model with a '59 neck, too, probably in the .89-.98 range.

People ask a lot for these, but they sell at + or - $2k.

Oddly, the P-90 models seem to be rarer and command more $$$. And that is my current conundrum. I want one at CME blowout prices! :fingersx:

People that want to move them list them at ~ $1700 and they go in an instant. Keep your eyes peeled

Don't mind me

Leee

Reaction score
I have one of the 2007 GOTW Deluxe Goldtops as well.
GOTW #8.

Right on!

Me too.
The minis didn’t do much for me so I proceeded immediately with my Plan B (actually the plan all along) and dropped in a set of Fralin P-90s with some new pots.
I love it!

shark

Reaction score
I like the p90s too just saving them for another LP gold top :) .Standard or a classic. I dunno. Gold top Customs are hard to find and costly too. I think of at least 5 gold top LP models and now that GT gets added too. \

back es.jpg
front es.jpg
As many different variations of gold as the burst. Thanks guys your guitars are awesome and beautimus :dude:

Latest Threads