Goldtop popped up locally: is this authentic?

Side Burns

Reaction score
And the center V looks digitally retouched .......as if thats the biggest issue looking at that stamping

& I didn’t know they used Nashville bridges on Reissues in 01 :rofl:

+ a “beautiful” shade on those amber knobs.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
So if it was a 53 reissue, it's been routed for humbuckers.

And the neck binding and nibs don't look right to me. Looks too thick, especially at the base of the fret board.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like the back has a solid veneer over a butcher block body.....

1953 wouldn’t have a tune-o-matic bridge... it would be a wrap over stopbar.

Ink serial,...no pressed in numbers..... and a Custom Shop COA.

Fake.

moreles

Reaction score
As always, pictures are problematic, but as others have reported, there are numerous problems. I'm not expert, but that serial number is unlike anything I've seen so unless there's an explanation, that's a DQ right there. The wonky headstock is a concern. The inlays are wrong. When I find that I'm getting unusual explanations for stuff like thas, I walk away. I dn't want to buy something where someone has t give me a story about hpw something that is wrong is not wrong. A big concern for me is that if it is what it's claimed to be, the proce itself is even more wrong than the features.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've never seen a serial number that looked like that. It's not the usual one we see on the Chibsons either, but I think that is the most likely answer about what it is.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
The 50s LPs had stamped serial numbers modern are embossed-fakeorama-nice looking fake.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Definitely fake, yes. Back and headstock shots confirm it. Multi-piece body, no headstock wings.

It's good that you requested the extra photos (and that the seller sent them). Sometimes, funky photo angles and reflections can make a real Gibson look "off". Add in a few replaced parts and it's easy to rush to judgment. However, now you know for sure.

Last edited:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
100% fake now that I see the back. No wings, and Gibson has never used that font. In terms of being a reissue with the x xxxx format, it would be ink stamped (not embossed). This is FAR from a real gibson, stay away.

ns2a

Reaction score
The headstock looked odd to me at first glance

dcurran87

Reaction score
I thought fake at first glance, glad my eye for these things seems to be getting better. For me the horn shape, shade of gold and inlays have it away initially, but headstock wings confirmed it. Well done checking it out with this knowledgeable crowd first.

Latest Threads