Goldtop popped up locally: is this authentic?

grey8

Reaction score
Hey all, new member here.

This guitar popped up locally, and I'm wondering if it's authentic or not. It's listed for a grand and some change. I just asked the seller for a serial number, but hasn't replied yet. Can you tell from these pics?

Help?

grey8

Reaction score
Is the seller saying it's a '50s goldtop, or is he saying it's a reliced goldtop?
The seller is not saying anything about it. It's listed as a Gibson Les Paul. Seems to me like the seller might not know a lot about guitars. I don't think it's a 50's or a vintage LP.

judson

Reaction score
im liking it so far....but not vintage

ask him the year as some are afraid to show a serial number ....

then explain to him how to determine year number if he doesnt know

top looks good

what price ???

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
The nut is huge. From the edge of the body (mahogany) is in many pieces. More than three...like several.

Barnaby

Reaction score
I agree that the body looks like a multi-piece, although it might be a trick of the light from that photo. It would definitely be a sign that it's not real if so. Ask for pictures of the back, as well as the heel, neck and the back of the headstock. Those are good ways to be sure.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
If it is a fake.. they ALWAYS screw up the serial... not necessarily the number but they stamp it.. after it’s painted.. that’s a No no

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't think it's a MIJ because the bridge has bushings. Fake Chinese or Korean maybe.

truckermde

Reaction score
Of course, I'd want to see the cavities before placing a cash bet, but there is no obviously discernible problem which shouts "fake".

Nibs, control layout/placement, TRC type/placement, extensive checking, all indicate authenticity.

The color being slightly off is easily dismiss-able due to photographic variances.

Bottom line: look at pickup cavities.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You can get bridges with metric thread that look like that... :hmm:
Well, I have had close to 30 MIJ guitars now and every one of them has the posts going directly into the wood and they don't use bushings.

Now that doesn't mean someone didn't drill the body and add the bushings to put that bridge on.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Well, I have had close to 30 MIJ guitars now and every one of them has the posts going directly into the wood and they don't use bushings.

Now that doesn't mean someone didn't drill the body and add the bushings to put that bridge on.
I dunno if I would say it’s MIJ... more like MIC...

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Some more digging is needed on this one... if ya pay enough... the guys in the Far East can make it as authentic looking as your willing to pay..

Latest Threads