Gold Top Gibson Les Pauls

dlbx2

Reaction score
Years ago, 1979, I bought a Strat at a friend's music store. Hanging beside the Strat was a gold top Les Paul. I wasn't familiar with Les Paul guitars, and have no way of knowing what it was. I do, however, remember vividly, my friend told me that he would sell the Les Paul for $200 more than the Strat, which was $870. He said that I would be glad that I did. I took the Strat, still have it, with a load of gigging hours and practice time. It still looks good. I recently bought a new Les Paul Gold Top, it is beautiful, plays great, and I love it.

Now, I was watching one of the videos on You Tube, and this guy was talking about his newly acquired Les Paul Traditional Pro II gold top that a friend had found in Texas, and had shipped to him. He then made the comment, "every Les Paul lover either has or wants a Les Paul Gold Top". You, ladies and gentleman, are the most knowledgeable, informed group that I know of, and, is the comment made by this young man's statement fairly accurate? I have noticed, while cruising the different stores, that most of the "R" series Les Pauls that they have for sale are the gold tops. Oh, and one more thing, this same guy said that when they had finished the first Les Paul, they asked the man himself what color he wanted it, and he looked out the window at his gold painted Cadillac and said, "paint it gold". Is that also true? Just curious, DLB

hrfdez

Reaction score
I don't know about been true, but I can tell you that my first LP was a GT:thumb:

2013 GT LP Standard. It is my picture gallery:)

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I hate gold tops. All that lovely maple covered up by a thick coat of mustard-yellow-brown goop that doest look remotely like gold.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes, Les Paul (the man) wanted the first ones painted gold. (pretty sure I remember reading that)

they can get under your skin,..there's just something about them that's pretty cool,..especially when the back and sides are a beautiful brown/natural color.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A heavily worn Gold Top is an incredible thing of beauty. Nothing compares.

circles

Reaction score
It's not my top choice, but I do like them!

Don't know about the anecdote though. I heard he looked down at a goldfish for a second, then looked up all misty eyed, and said 'gold'. But who knows?

Ansen

Reaction score
A goldtop would be to much gold, to much bliiing for me. I prefer the more discreedly finishes, like ebony or darkred with gold hardware. So, there's also a touch of gold.. :dude:

p.s. to the anecdote.. i remember reading something somewhere about like: Make it look expensive and valuable, paint it gold. :D

Farquad

Reaction score
Goldtops are just cool. I used to hate solid color guitars as I wanted to see the wood (what were they hiding...). Now I just dig them because they look classic.

According to Tony Bacon the gold was Les's idea.
Les Paul Guitar Book pg 21: "Les said the gold color of the original Les Paul model was his idea. 'Gold means rich' he said 'Expensive, the best, superb.'"

Reaction score
Yes, it's fairly accurate that "most" LP owners want/have a GoldTop. While I am not a fan of burst colors, it would be fairly accurate to say most LP owners want/have a burst color. Ditto for flames.

I have 3 GoldTops and want more.

sc-closer

Reaction score
There is something to it I suppose. The key being a "Les Paul Lover." If you are really into LPs, I would suppose you either have a GT or want a GT. They are a classic LP. If you are not into them so much, I would imagine you could care less about a GT.

Kinda like the Ebony LP Custom. You could probably say the same about it. ;)

lunchbox

Reaction score
I love GT's. I've never owned one but would love to.

I'd actually like to own a Gold Top Custom. That should be one of their regular Custom finishes, IMO.

Gibson_Custom_57_Les_Paul_Custom_Ant_Gold_Natural_711156_1.jpg

Now that's just classy right there.

dlbx2

Reaction score
I love GT's. I've never owned one but would love to.

I'd actually like to own a Gold Top Custom. That should be one of their regular Custom finishes, IMO.

Gibson_Custom_57_Les_Paul_Custom_Ant_Gold_Natural_711156_1.jpg

Now that's just classy right there.

An incredible piece of art following function. I am serious, this is artwork. American craftsmanship hasn't gone anywhere! This guitar photo is from The Music Zoo, where I bought my GT, but mine doesn't compare to this one, but hey, it doesn't make me love mine any less! DLB

paco1976

Reaction score
I love GT's. Unlike the vast majority I actually prefer solid color to bursts.

Spiteface

Reaction score
yes, Les Paul (the man) wanted the first ones painted gold. (pretty sure I remember reading that)

I'm sure I read a quote from him about that. He wanted gold because it represented "quality" and the Customs came in black because it looked "Classy, like a tuxedo".

Can't really argue with either of those! I do have a thing for white Customs though.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I had an R7. It was nice, but I like my Silverburst Les Paul Custom much better.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Gold has never been my first choice. I like them, but every time I compare them to the figured maybe tops I think, why go gold when you can have gorgous flame?

Maybe the reason you see a lot of gold reissues in stores is because people have already taken the figured ones home instead. :dunno:

Latest Threads