Gold & Silver headstock decals hmmm

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Have had a bit of a search online and couldn't find anything particularly definitive. I was wandering if there's any significance in whether a Gibson gets a gold or silver headstock decal?

My R8 had a gold one and my various Standard's have been a mix of gold and silver. Logically you would think the gold inlay would be reserved for the higher end models, but the 2014 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom I have coming to me is silver. If there was ever a time for a gold one you'd think it would on a Custom with gold hardware

Anyone have any thoughts or know what the deal is? Chur

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
If we’re talking about the “Les Paul Model” script, that’s silkscreening with paint. The Gibson logo itself is either mother of pearl inlay or gold (rarely silver) silkscreen.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
If we’re talking about the “Les Paul Model” script, that’s silkscreening with paint. The Gibson logo itself is either mother of pearl inlay or gold (rarely silver) silkscreen.
Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer. I was referring to the Gibson logo

My R8 pictured above for example is gold, but the Custom Shop Custom I have coming is MOP. Clearly I thought the latter LP would have made more sense (and potentially looked better) with a gold Gibson logo

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

My R8 pictured above for example is gold, but the Custom Shop Custom I have coming is MOP. Clearly I thought the latter LP would have made more sense (and potentially looked better) with a gold Gibson logo
Your R8 Gibson logo should be Mother of Pearl.... not gold.

Maybe the clear coat has yellowed a bit..gotta pic?

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
I was just worried I was going to open this and see someone found stick on decals to go over the existing logo

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Your R8 Gibson logo should be Mother of Pearl.... not gold.

Maybe the clear coat has yellowed a bit..gotta pic?
It's definitely not MOP that has yellowed, it's gold for sure. It's 2018 so it's still a relatively new guitar

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
It's definitely not MOP that has yellowed, it's gold for sure. It's 2018 so it's still a relatively new guitar

I’m afraid you’re mistaken.... that logo is not gold. MOP doesn’t yellow.... it’s the nitro clear coat that is sprayed over it that will yellow or have a yellow tint.

Custom shop 1958 reissue Les Paul Standard do not use a gold silkscreen.... it is Mother of Pearl.

75BD7F38-7861-4150-A208-BA736102B12F.jpeg

tzd

Reaction score
FWIW, only Silverburst Standard or Studio gets the “Les Paul Model” silkscreen in silver.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
FWIW, only Silverburst Standard or Studio gets the “Les Paul Model” silkscreen in silver.
This is true about the Les Paul script.

Though....

The OP has clearly stated “Gibson logo”...... not the Les Paul script.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
2014 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom
Not sure if you're aware of this, but all customs (since the mid 2000s, I believe) are made in the custom shop. Both reissues and regular customs. Gibson custom shop Les Paul custom just seems like a mouthful.

I love customs. I have three.

L to R

2015 custom (custom shop)
2002 custom (USA)
2019 BB5 reissue

The reason I bring this up is because I want to make sure you haven't been tricked into overpaying.

For example, there's a custom shop standard, which obviously fetches a higher price than a USA standard. But reissues aside, a custom is a custom is a custom. A pre-custom shop custom will go for a similar price as a custom shop custom in similar condition.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
While this was not the subject of the thread, this is STILL really good information. Thanks for posting!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid you’re mistaken.... that logo is not gold. MOP doesn’t yellow.... it’s the nitro clear coat that is sprayed over it that will yellow or have a yellow tint.

Custom shop 1958 reissue Les Paul Standard do not use a gold silkscreen.... it is Mother of Pearl.

View attachment 548273
Gibson logos are NOT gold. Aged nitro over the mother of pearl... Yes. Gold... No.
OOC, does gibson 'age' the R8 nitro purposely? OP;s R8 is a 2018, and that seems premature for it to have aged naturally (and it definately looks like yellowed nitro)

strayedstrater

Reaction score
OOC, does gibson 'age' the R8 nitro purposely? OP;s R8 is a 2018, and that seems premature for it to have aged naturally (and it definately looks like yellowed nitro)
I only did a quick google image search so this may be wrong, but it seems that VOS models have tinted nitro on the headstock giving the gold logo look, while regular finishes have clear nitro giving the silver look.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
My Norlin SG logo is gold. The nitro has yellowed considerably.

Cory

Reaction score
All VOS reissue models starting around 2017 have a tinted nitro giving a more “yellowed & aged” look, thus making the Gibson logo have a gold-ish hue - if you stripped the nitro off the headstock the logo itself would be a perfect/typical mother of pearl color with no gold coloring at all.

dasherf17

Reaction score

A little aside from the main topic, I have that Kossoff book...so informative in all facets!

dasherf17

Reaction score
All VOS reissue models starting around 2017 have a tinted nitro giving a more “yellowed & aged” look, thus making the Gibson logo have a gold-ish hue - if you stripped the nitro off the headstock the logo itself would be a perfect/typical mother of pearl color with no gold coloring at all.
This is somewhat akin to , yet somewhat off topic...if anyone saw that '77 Custom awhile ago that the poster picked up that looked as if it hung in a smoky saloon since new...THAT was an exaggeration of the yellowed effect we "may" be talking about, yeah?

Latest Threads