Gold over Dark Burst Relic

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
I've been following Encrypted's thread "Thinking of aging my R7" found here:http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362104 as I've been working on an R7 refinish. I liked the Perry Burst so much on the R7 that I decided to do the same to one of my Standards, but then deadlyweasel sent me a pic of an awesomely aged '53 Standard. So I decided to cover the Perry Burst Standard in gold. I'm going to wear the hell out of it and I think it will look great with the burst showing as the gold gets chipped away.

I don't think there's anything here that's new for the majority of us on the forum, but I thought that this would look really cool. I'm really only posting this because of the discussion in Encrypted's thread about aging process and whether or not it should be done. I'm doing it. And I'm going to do it very slowly and thoughtfully. I'm in no rush on this and there's no telling how long it will take. When the mood hits me, I'll work on it, but otherwise, I'll just play it and not be too protective of the guitar.:D

Here's what inspired this job:

full

full

My Standard before:
full

Now with the new burst:
full

Getting the gold going:
full

full

I didn't feel like plugging the pickup cavities and rerouting them fir P90's, so I took the covers of the Burst Buckers and gave them the treatment... now they're cream.

The guitar has the clear coats on and I've already reassembled it. I'm going to play it for a bit as the lacquer hardens up, then I'll buff it up and start freezing and chipping away at the gold.

Should be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
I've been following Encrypted's thread "Thinking of aging my R7" found here:http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362104 as I've been working on an R7 refinish. I liked the Perry Burst so much on the R7 that I decided to do the same to one of my Standards, but then deadlyweasel sent me a pic of an awesomely aged '53 Standard. So I decided to cover the Perry Burst Standard in gold. I'm going to wear the hell out of it and I think it will look great with the burst showing as the gold gets chipped away.

I don't think there's anything here that's new for the majority of us on the forum, but I thought that this would look really cool. I'm really only posting this because of the discussion in Encrypted's thread about aging process and whether or not it should be done. I'm doing it. And I'm going to do it very slowly and thoughtfully. I'm in no rush on this and there's no telling how long it will take. When the mood hits me, I'll work on it, but otherwise, I'll just play it and not be too protective of the guitar.:D

Here's what inspired this job:

full

full

My Standard before:
full

Now with the new burst:
full

Getting the gold going:
full

full

I didn't feel like plugging the pickup cavities and rerouting them fir P90's, so I took the covers of the Burst Buckers and gave them the treatment... now they're cream.

The guitar has the clear coats on and I've already reassembled it. I'm going to play it for a bit as the lacquer hardens up, then I'll buff it up and start freezing and chipping away at the gold.

Should be fun!

Looks awesome so far Jim!

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
full

full

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Where's the like button when you need it???? Top mark's to you Mr Beef. Superb as ever!

ajory72

Reaction score

Very nice indeed Mr Beef :thumb:

Might I suggest aged speed knobs?
(courtesy MSSC)
MontreuxSpeedKnobsGold.jpg

[edit: tbh - I find new production knobs are another component that don't age like the 50's ones do/did.... I had an old Japan made Les Paul when I was 15 and played it so much the vol/tone controls started to go green at the bottom - I was so disappointed [how could they I thought] - now I want them aged! ]

Kris Ford

Reaction score
That Italian beef looks AMAZING!!

Why didn't I go there when I was in Boot Camp at Great Lakes NRTC?

2120southmichigan

Reaction score
Mr. Beef or Al's...either way it's a win - win...

Marconi...also good for stripping poly...

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Im really enjoying your Youtube channel. It's fantastic to watch the process' as they happen.
Ive subscribed to it, so that I can keep an eye out for updates.

Mr. Beef

Reaction score
While I'm recovering from hand surgery, I've had a lot of time to kill looking at guitars on the internet, rather than working on them or playing them haha. I found this picture and was surprised at this Custom Shop LP. In my humble opinion, this looks totally unnatural. Not saying that mine is better (yet, haha), but this is from Gibson's Custom Shop!

full

Maybe I'll take mine as far as this... or maybe I should lay off the pain killers :laugh2:

full

dothedew

Reaction score
Diggin a burst underneath a GT! Got any shots of the back/neck??

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
My Standard before:
full

I'm guessing it's just the picture (although I'm not sure how), but it looks like the burst has a big bump at the bottom left corner, like a laminated Strat would.

Latest Threads