Gold control knobs on '71 cherry burst Custom?

In the Dog House

Reaction score
First time poster here. Great site! :)

The cherry sunburst '71 Custom (two pots I can read are '71) I bought 20 years or so ago has gold top hat reflector control knobs. I've never been quite sure if they would have been the originals, or should they always be black witch hats?

I know the pickup surrounds and scratchplate aren't original but everything else seems, afaik, to point to 1971.

The case seems very old too so I'm guessing that is probably original.

I'm not interested in what it might or might not be worth - I won't ever be selling her.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Witch hat knobs would have been stock.

Doesn't look too bad though with the gold reflectors all things considered.

The embossed covers points more toward 1972, as that is the defining trait of that year. Nominally the covers have been reported on guitars you might think were 1971 made....but as all dating is a little vague during this time it cannot be verified that those guitar were not just made with small-parts dating from earlier.

In the Dog House

Reaction score
Many thanks for that.

When I bought it I sometimes wondered if there was something not quite right about the look of the controls but I always liked the look of it as it is so never really bothered about it, but for some reason decided to ask on here today. Maybe I'll get some witch hats.

I've gathered from reading around that dating from this period is a bit sketchy, but I love this for what it is regardless of its exact age.

A couple of years ago I was in a band with a guy who had a new Goldtop. He tried my old Custom through his gear ... and then wished he hadn't :)

BSeneca

Reaction score
Witch hat knobs would have been stock.

Doesn't look too bad though with the gold reflectors all things considered.

The embossed covers points more toward 1972, as that is the defining trait of that year. Nominally the covers have been reported on guitars you might think were 1971 made....but as all dating is a little vague during this time it cannot be verified that those guitar were not just made with small-parts dating from earlier.
Why do you care? If he says its a 71 its really none of your business or concern. Why do you waste your energy on things that are non of your business?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you care? If he says its a 71 its really none of your business or concern. Why do you waste your energy on things that are non of your business?
Why do you barge in and tell everyone the soups dry?

@ARandall provided good useful and correct information and you shit on it.

Why?

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
And you have no dog in it at all, so why bother to post about it?

The man gave him good valuable information, Helped answer his question, and he appreciated it.

Seems to me, the real question is, why do you care?
Why are you wasting your energy on things that are none of your business and no concern to you?
Between this thread, and the other one, it appears as if you were going around trying to start an argument. This is not the place for that.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
First time poster here. Great site! :)

The cherry sunburst '71 Custom (two pots I can read are '71) I bought 20 years or so ago has gold top hat reflector control knobs. I've never been quite sure if they would have been the originals, or should they always be black witch hats?

I know the pickup surrounds and scratchplate aren't original but everything else seems, afaik, to point to 1971.

The case seems very old too so I'm guessing that is probably original.

I'm not interested in what it might or might not be worth - I won't ever be selling her.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum!

Here's a '72 with Witchhats!
I hope Bseneca doesn't get too triggered!
:laugh2:

ARandall

Reaction score
Wow, thats a poor comeback

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Why do you barge in and tell everyone the soups dry?

@ARandall provided good useful and correct information and you shit on it.

Why?
Its related to another thread I replied to where he was commenting on some random for sale ad - essentially wondering why strangers choose to price things the way they do. If you see a silly price when browsing most people just shrug and get on with their lives....its really not that important.
So it was to get in a 'tit for tat'.....except his was aimed at a thread where I was giving out good info to a member who actually owns said guitar.......so saying it fell flat is somewhat of an understatement.

ARandall

Reaction score
Many thanks for that.

When I bought it I sometimes wondered if there was something not quite right about the look of the controls but I always liked the look of it as it is so never really bothered about it, but for some reason decided to ask on here today. Maybe I'll get some witch hats.

I've gathered from reading around that dating from this period is a bit sketchy, but I love this for what it is regardless of its exact age.

A couple of years ago I was in a band with a guy who had a new Goldtop. He tried my old Custom through his gear ... and then wished he hadn't :)
My closest is a 75, but with all the early 70's build features.......its a monster guitar - sounds like yours is too.
I also have some 72 T-tops like yours with the embossed covers - its a birth year thing for me.

In the Dog House

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for all your contributions on my first thread after joining. Seems like I stumbled into the crossfire a bit.

So now I have the answer to a niggling little question that has been bugging me on and off for the last 20 years - thanks for that.

It's never going to be all-original because of the pickup surrounds and scratchplate (which was missing) that I had to replace and I'm certainly not willing to pay the money the original knobs are going for, so I just ordered a new set of witch hats.

Whether it's a 71 or 72 doesn't really bother me because I will never be selling it because it plays & sounds great and I love it, but I'd like it to look as original as it can.

Dave :)

BSeneca

Reaction score
And you have no dog in it at all, so why bother to post about it?

The man gave him good valuable information, Helped answer his question, and he appreciated it.

Seems to me, the real question is, why do you care?
Why are you wasting your energy on things that are none of your business and no concern to you?

Between this thread, and the other one, it appears as if you were going around trying to start an argument. This is not the place for that.
Well first of all I didnt say the dickheaded shit he did. and this was SUPPOSED to be meant in jest. Ive been on here for years and I dont have time to start shit. Nor do I want to

Latest Threads