Going from Faber InSert kit to Faber BSW kit

ivanvir

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 2018 LP Studio with Faber InSert kit and their locking bridge. I liked what it did to my tone, so I decided to go with their BSW kit, which is advertised as a best tone enhancer of all 3 kits they offer for (originally) Nashville TOM - equipped guitars, as I always try to squeeze every last drop of tone from my equipment ;).

However, when I installed the Insert kit, I had to drill the holes a bit deeper to make the studs flush with the body. After BSW kit came I noticed that studs are a bit shorter (1.3 mm, approximately) than Insert studs, which means that it won't make the contact with the bottom of the hole once the I put them in, meaning it won't make the contact with the body inside. Am I correct in assuming this and does it matter? Common sense is telling me that it matters, as every point of contact between the wood and studs is important.

Now, could I just drill the holes for the BSW a bit deeper? That way the top of the stud(s) won't be flush with the body, but I could screw another set of thumbwheels all the way down, for both solidity and better tone transfer, if there is any. There should be plenty of space left for the bridge and another set of thumbwheels...or are there any other ideas and mods? Maybe glue a little pieces of mahagony in the holes? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

ARandall

Reaction score
The bottom of the hole is barely a fraction of the contact/surface area of the whole. The threaded section is by far the most important if we're talking the way the metal is held in place in the wood.
Equally, with the insert kit the splines biting into the wood is the more important aspect. As is the overall length with both systems, as this is the bit that works against the angular pressure of the fulcrum point and string tension energy.

An fyi - having had a few different systems with nashville/abr combo......I cannot say which is necessarily the 'best' when it comes to the structure. The very same BSW kit did a wonderful job on one guitar, and almost nothing in another. It can sometimes be a lottery as to finding what specific hardware system is optimal.

ivanvir

Reaction score
The bottom of the hole is barely a fraction of the contact/surface area of the whole. The threaded section is by far the most important if we're talking the way the metal is held in place in the wood.
Equally, with the insert kit the splines biting into the wood is the more important aspect. As is the overall length with both systems, as this is the bit that works against the angular pressure of the fulcrum point and string tension energy.

An fyi - having had a few different systems with nashville/abr combo......I cannot say which is necessarily the 'best' when it comes to the structure. The very same BSW kit did a wonderful job on one guitar, and almost nothing in another. It can sometimes be a lottery as to finding what specific hardware system is optimal.

Well, I hope that it will work...it's hard to believe that a different system from the same manufacturer won't do anything. My theory is: if InSert is doing it's thing on my guitar, BSW should too, being (according to Faber) a superior system - if I hadn't had good results with InSert I wouldn't bother with BSW, that's for sure. Anyway, I am willing to give it a shot.

You suggest to just make enough threads for BSW and don't worry about the bottom of the hole? Screwing it all the way down and putting another set of thumbwheels (or even leaving it without extra thumbwheels) is not a good idea? We are talking about difference of 1.3 mm or so. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest Threads