going all Hannibal Lecter

Brek

Reaction score
on my origin 5 combo. As a combo it’s a waste of space, cheap and nasty particle board housing, so rehousing amp section into a head box stuck the Eight 15 speaker into a Kustom 5 valve combo (sounds better than it did in the Origin, which is kind of funny). Peeling the Tolex off so I can practice glueing it on the new head, without worrying about ruining it. In terms of practicality need to add a sheet of aluminium to the base as that will now be the top, move the transformers and invert the valve bases, which may need some extra work to do. Not sure until I start.

F5BB010D-3664-495D-90B4-96DC53BDA525.jpeg
FD7E61AA-DA27-4B7B-83D7-B871FA30E5C0.jpeg

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Origin 5 only has an 8" speaker?
Wonder if it's the same one that's in my MG15CFR?

Brek

Reaction score
Yeah, 8 inch, the class 5 at least had a 10 inch. Celestion say a lot of amps use the eight 15, so maybe yours does, it’s not a bad speaker but it not right for the Origin, best sound I got from it so far was into a V30, so cannot wait to try it into 2x alnico blues. Just tried it with the 2x10in alnico golds which are not even close to being run in and it sounded quite ‘hard’ in the mids for want of a way to describe it,

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 8 inch, the class 5 at least had a 10 inch. Celestion say a lot of amps use the eight 15, so maybe yours does, it’s not a bad speaker but it not right for the Origin, best sound I got from it so far was into a V30, so cannot wait to try it into 2x alnico blues. Just tried it with the 2x10in alnico golds which are not even close to being run in and it sounded quite ‘hard’ in the mids for want of a way to describe it,
Mine really isn't marked as to what it is.
Surprise surprise though... this amp actually has a real spring reverb. I figured the reverb was digital.
It's not a traditional "tank"... it's a plastic sleeve and the ends of the springs are exposed. It is actually suspension-mounted to the cabinet.

MG-15.jpg

Brek

Reaction score
No progress on the head, been busy soldering and building a twin OD pedal. Using the amp though, upside down with no box around it.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering an Origin 5 for my collection, and I have a sealed V30 112 and two open back Greenback 112s I can plug it into.

Brek

Reaction score
Interesting, I did play it trough a vintage 30, sounded it’s best through it. I have a love/hate thing going on with it, through some tens it sound really compressed, but not in a good way, like their is no dynamic range, ah actually it sounds like a limiter brickwalling, but through the 12in v30 was very nice. I am going to try it through the 2x12in alnico blues. Will see what that brings.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those three cabs because they were used and cheap. One H&K TM112 (the V30), one Vox NT112 and a Marshall 1974CX (which retail or used cost is the same the other two together.

Brek

Reaction score
Nice, I also love a bargain. I would mention that he origin combo only has a 16ohm output, although I did try an 8ohm, with no ill effect. I would recommend a v30 and a greenback as a very complementary combination. Tried it with my former owned Carrera combo.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I also love a bargain. I would mention that he origin combo only has a 16ohm output, although I did try an 8ohm, with no ill effect. I would recommend a v30 and a greenback as a very complementary combination. Tried it with my former owned Carrera combo.
If Marshall says 16 ohm only I'll respect that, but amps that say "4 ohm minimum" are awesome. The H&K has a parallel out so I can hook it and either Greenback up as an 8 ohm pair.

Brek

Reaction score
Yeah, prolly won’t try it again, from the reading I have done a valve amp should cope, however, that does not take account of what a manufacturer might do to hit a ‘price point’. I basically have 2 5w Marshall heads, one class 5, one origin 5, (well that’s not a head just yet) thinking of what to do with them, tried selling no one remotely interested, two impulse buys that will prolly end up gathering dust. Read about the mods a chap called Lyle had come up with, a few quids worth of new components, looked at the schematic but not know what the hell it all means. Will hopefully find a video of someone going through what’s replaced and how.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, prolly won’t try it again, from the reading I have done a valve amp should cope, however, that does not take account of what a manufacturer might do to hit a ‘price point’. I basically have 2 5w Marshall heads, one class 5, one origin 5, (well that’s not a head just yet) thinking of what to do with them, tried selling no one remotely interested, two impulse buys that will prolly end up gathering dust. Read about the mods a chap called Lyle had come up with, a few quids worth of new components, looked at the schematic but not know what the hell it all means. Will hopefully find a video of someone going through what’s replaced and how.
A Class 5 is surprisingly robust, electronically. They were tested with 4, 8 and 16 ohm loads, and no load at all. They survived, but the designer said he couldn't, of course, guarantee that. A Class 5 can be hooked up to any cabinet of your choosing if you plug the speaker cab lead half way into the headphone jack, or use a TRS jack with only the tip and sleeve wired up.

Latest Threads