GnR Guitarist DJ Ashba nearly killed by e-cigarettes

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Guns n’Roses guitarist DJ Ashba has told how an attempt to stop smoking led to a hospital dash and a team of doctors fighting for his life.

The drama took place after he abandoned cigarettes in favour of electronic nicotine vapourisers.

Ashba says: “I quit for nine months. However, I was smoking fake cigarettes that I bought in a mall in Poland, which contained high doses of nicotine – and antifreeze.

“I was rushed to the hospital, put on heart monitors and I had eight of the best doctors trying to save my life.

“Poison Control confirmed the nicotine intake from the fake cigarettes was the equivalent to smoking 33 packs of cigarettes a day.”

Ashba says he later underwent a CAT scan, which showed he hadn’t caused too much damage to his body. But instead of returning to vapourisers, he’s now attempting to stop smoking by cutting down over a period of time.

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well... Don't buy e-cigarettes from the mall. Wouldn't even trust buying them from a gas station.

battra

Reaction score
On a side note, I'll be seeing the other GnR guitarist, Richard Fortus, with his very first band, Pale Divine, tomorrow night in St. Louis.

They're reuniting for one night only....again.

I also saw him last year playing with the Psychedelic Furs...for about half the show.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shit, I'd be very weary to try anything I didn't recognize in Eastern Europe.

BrianM

Reaction score
Stop smoking by cutting down over a period of time?

Yeah, that has never worked.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
eykig.jpg

battra

Reaction score
I think the real issue here is that he didn't understand eCigs.

One puff on an ecig is basically a whole cigarette's worth of nicotine...if you're a pack a day smoker...let's say 10 puffs per smoke, 20 smokes per day...

Well if you do that same number on an ecig...You're up a carton's worth of nicotine.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never heard that, but it explains some things.

Dude's lucky he's rich and could get, "eight of the best doctors trying to save my life"

..any of us would be dead.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I think I'd probably stay away from buying stuff like that in Poland.

Paracelsian

Reaction score
I was just saying to my wife the other day "hey, these kinda smell like antifreeze".....

bertzie

Reaction score
Ah the Polish. Their handywork strikes again. First all those submarines with screen doors, now this.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
This DJ Ashba fella may be a guitar player...but not in Guns 'N Roses. I only recognize Slash as holding that title...in fact he's the guitar player in every band, ever.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's great when you have to leak your own near death story because no other news outlet gives a rat's ass about it. Lol.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
I think the real issue here is that he didn't understand eCigs.

One puff on an ecig is basically a whole cigarette's worth of nicotine...if you're a pack a day smoker...let's say 10 puffs per smoke, 20 smokes per day...

Well if you do that same number on an ecig...You're up a carton's worth of nicotine.

.. This is not true, I use e-cigs and a puff is just like a regular puff of nicotine on a regular cigarette depending on the level of the cartomizer or e-liquid .. you can get 0% to 36% most commonly.

.. I would damn sure have been poisoned by now as I puff on one all day and evening .. and have had no adverse effects at all. of course I use reputable models.

.. It is possible on some larger refillable tank type e-cigs that you could possibly inhale the liquid if it is assembled wrong or defective in some way .. or if you are kind of a dumbass ..

.. Oh and I am not trying to quit .. I enjoy the things and nicotine ..

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He should have bought some nicotine gum at his local flea market. Much safer...

7gtop

Reaction score
This DJ Ashba fella may be a guitar player...but not in Guns 'N Roses. I only recognize Slash as holding that title...in fact he's the guitar player in every band, ever.

o.k.

y o u

need to calm d:laugh2:wn

here

Latest Threads