Glock 17 gen 4 issues, any owners here?

Lampens

Reaction score
So, our sidearms got renewed from the old Glock 17's (I'm guessing first generation) tot the gen 4.
Had a chance to shoot it last week. I put maybe just 30 rounds through it as I was tasked with being range commander and chief instructor so I only shoot with my instructors to demonstrate how a certain exercise is gonna go. We should do that before every exercise beforehand to maintain our own skills but there just isn't enough time in a day that way.

Anyway. Maybe it's because they are brand new but the trigger feels real nice. I've heard people refer to stuff like that in youtube vids as crisp. The whole handling of it feels a bit tighter. maybe it's also the different spring in it as opposed to the old one.
The sights are better, sturdier, fatter. On the old ones when pulling the damn thing out of the leg holster the front post would occasionally be ripped of the slide.

You're also able to put the mag release on the right side for left handed shooters. And here is the issue.
We haven't been issued the new mags yet, with indentations on both side to accommodate for the left and right release. But the old ones still work, only a lot of people had stoppages on the last round in the mag. Good for training purposes lol, as clearing the different stoppages was one of the exercises that day. But it seems like the old mags just don't fit properly. During the day we found out that just a quick tap to the bottom of the mag was enough to move the slide forward and it would go in battery.

Anyone owns a gen 4 and has had the same issues with old mags? Kind of shitty of Glock to make your old mags obsolete. Not that I really care as I don't have to pay for it lol. Just that the army in their wise ways issues shit without the proper stuff to go with it as usual.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I carry a Glock model 22 for work....but it's 17years old now. Only get to fire it once a year...

Frogfur

Reaction score
So, our sidearms got renewed from the old Glock 17's (I'm guessing first generation) tot the gen 4.
Had a chance to shoot it last week. I put maybe just 30 rounds through it as I was tasked with being range commander and chief instructor so I only shoot with my instructors to demonstrate how a certain exercise is gonna go. We should do that before every exercise beforehand to maintain our own skills but there just isn't enough time in a day that way.

Anyway. Maybe it's because they are brand new but the trigger feels real nice. I've heard people refer to stuff like that in youtube vids as crisp. The whole handling of it feels a bit tighter. maybe it's also the different spring in it as opposed to the old one.
The sights are better, sturdier, fatter. On the old ones when pulling the damn thing out of the leg holster the front post would occasionally be ripped of the slide.

You're also able to put the mag release on the right side for left handed shooters. And here is the issue.
We haven't been issued the new mags yet, with indentations on both side to accommodate for the left and right release. But the old ones still work, only a lot of people had stoppages on the last round in the mag. Good for training purposes lol, as clearing the different stoppages was one of the exercises that day. But it seems like the old mags just don't fit properly. During the day we found out that just a quick tap to the bottom of the mag was enough to move the slide forward and it would go in battery.

Anyone owns a gen 4 and has had the same issues with old mags? Kind of shitty of Glock to make your old mags obsolete. Not that I really care as I don't have to pay for it lol. Just that the army in their wise ways issues shit without the proper stuff to go with it as usual.
Lot of Glock shooters in the gun thread. Ask them.

Last edited:

Lampens

Reaction score
Oh, right there is a gun thread. Maybe a mod can move this into that thread?

Latest Threads