Gin, Smoke, Lies

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Learning this song, by The Turnpike Troubadours, to cover for a singer. He listed it in the key of C. Every chord/tab site I have seen also lists it as the key of C. As far as I can tell, this song is in the key of Gm. Is my feeble mind missing something here?

Thanks.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Largely alternating G5 and F, cowboy versions capo'd at fifth fret by the sound/looks of it.

Last edited:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
It's simple enough to play with or without a capo. I'm just having trouble understanding why it's considered to be in the key of C. If anyone could explain the rationale, it would be greatly appreciated.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Without sight of a lead sheet showing the melody/harmony you describe as "in Gm" but (the same thing being) called "in C" by others all bets are off, really, if the question is merely "why do some people say this is in C".

TBF I think there are some interesting discussions to be had based on this song, but this forum probably isn't the place for those, sadly. And no doubt someone will come along will comments that'll confirm that view admirably :)

Last edited:

Latest Threads