Gimme yer kidney!

Zungle

Reaction score
if your MIL had any real feeling for her daughter, she would'nt ever consider asking in the first place

thinking. if I was in that situation there's absolutely no way I ask either of my boys to make that sort of sacrifice,

This is my feeling.....

I wouldnt consider taking a kidney from a family member...

First....I'd prepare to die and get my estate and affairs settled, with proper post life navigation instructions for my wife and kids...

Then I'd I'd go on a donor list and wait it out......

filtersweep

Reaction score
Mother in law has treated herself like shit for decades. Never managed her diabetes, always had a horrible diet, never exercised and made zero life changes after several doctors told her several times she's going to die young if she doesn't make major life changes. Now her kidneys are shot and she's going on dialysis. She's also had a very strained relationship with her daughter (my wife) for years. Kicked her out at 13 and let wife's grandparents raise her.

Like I said earlier in the tread, she already made her choices, ALL of them bad. All of them deliberate. Now she can deal with that.
You must know her pretty well.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
What say you backstage? Would you give a kidney in that situation?

Difficult to say... I 100% agree with you in principle, but...
... I'd be f***in' furious if I donated one and it wasn't looked after properly.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Tough situation PeteK. Sorry for your family troubles. If I needed a kidney, I wouldn't ask for one and I'd discourage my daughter from donating hers. If I had an opportunity to help save someone's life by donating a kidney, I would do it. Good luck with y'all's decision.

Sledge

Reaction score
Pics?:photos:

Dude you are supposed to protect your wife!! So say no and have a heart to heart talk with your wife, tell her about the future and the family and the kids. If that fails tell the MIL to GTH but nicely.
If the operation goes wrong and your wife suffers and ends up in a worse stage than your MIL( mother in Law) then you will have to be the one taking care of both the women.
When it comes to family, sometimes the mind makes a better decision than the heart.

Exactly my thoughts, including the pic request, LOL

Ordinarily I'd say its your wife's decision alone, but not when she has a child/children. I think I believe you both have an equal say, but I damn sure hope you both agree!

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
I would never comment on what others should do in any situation but I can say if my brother or one of my sisters called and said they needed a kidney from me I would simply say when and where.

Zungle

Reaction score
I would never comment on what others should do in any situation but I can say if my brother or one of my sisters called and said they needed a kidney from me I would simply say when and where.

Unfortunately for my brother I'd have to say no......

He's been a 2 pack a day smoker for the last 30 plus years, eats a shit diet and is generally always in for himself.....

I have a wife , a 5 kid brady bunch , 2 grandsons with a 3rd on his way......I am pretty much the bolt that is holding the cart together for 5 generations of family yes 5 generations are still alive in my family .....(which is somewhat stressful in itself)

Anyway,

I love my brother and accept his faults...but I have a very short list of folks getting a kidney and he aint on it....

Last edited:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Would Mom give her a kidney?

If so then great it's already done no surgery needed. No takesie backsies

redjunior

One foot in the grave...Gak!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In reply to the thread title, no, Imma still using it.....

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If it was my kid, sister or parent, no brainer. If two of them needed kidneys, and I was the only match, I'd get used to being on dialysis. Toss in some hot nurses and the occasional sponge bath and I'll be fine.

However, I had a terrible MIL and even now, there is no way, I'd let my ex give her a kidney. There is no way I'd let the mother of my kids put herself at risk for one of the most selfish, narcissistic and unaware people I have ever met. When she passes, her two biological children will feel a loss. Of her two adopted kids, one won't bother to go to the funeral. The only person who will actually miss her is her is her current boyfriend, who is by all accounts a decent guy.

Latest Threads