Gigging Guitarists - which 100% reliable wireless system do you use?

garybaldy

Reaction score
Be careful and check what freqs the unit uses. Looks like it uses freqs in the same range as wifi routers. With all the wifi crap in every venue plus what's bleeding in from all over I'd be wary. Just what you need is signal bleeding in in the middle of a set.
I'll check that thanks. Do all the others recommended here use different frequencies then? tech stuff is not my forte.

cjpeck

Reaction score
various systems use UHF, VHF, and all the way into the 2+ghz bands that routers use. You're going to have to do a little research and find out what bands are legal in your country for wireless systems.
Here in the states, wireless units in 617-652 MHz and 663-698 MHz frequencies are banned from operation now. So there are tons of old wireless rigs that are obsolete and not legal to use. Problem is the folks that bought those rigs sometimes try to sell 'em without disclosing that fact.. Now in all honesty there's very little chance the FCC is going to raid a gig and hand out fines for unlicensed broadcasts on restricted frequencies, but there's a very real chance you'll get a shit-ton of RF coming through the PA.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Line 6 has been great when I've used it, although I now use the Xvive XV-U2 because it's really convenient.

I've got the Smoothound and it's OK. A little clunky and heavy compared to other offerings on the market. I've not gigged it and would be worried about long-term reliability, as I found it a bit buggy when I was using it at home. Maybe I'm being unfair to the unit, however.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
I currently use a Sennheiser EW 100 G4 and it is fantastic. Zero dropouts and long range. I use the EW 100 G4 935S vocal mic as well and love it.

However, before that I had the Sennheiser EW D1 and that thing was a hot steaming pony loaf. It works in the 2.4GHz range which is WiFi and it was constantly dropping out even though it had auto channel hopping. In fact, the transmitter packs would just shut off randomly mid performance. I sent it back to Sennheiser and they sent me a new one and it did the same thing, and I had both the guitar wireless and the vocal wireless and they both did the same thing. And our singer temporarily borrowed another EW D1 vocal mic and it did the same thing. Plus, the range was absolutely terrible. That stuff is not ready for primetime. Stick to the tried-and-true units in the 470-608MHz range (the legal ones--after July 2020 anything in the 608-698MHz range will be illegal to use in the US).

Before that, I used a Shure BLX for years and never had issues. For entry-level wireless those can't be beat.

Last edited:

Axis39

Reaction score
I have a Behringer XR-18 wireless PA. I don't use the internal router, but an external router and run it at 5 Ghz and have zero issues. My Line6 G30 runs on 2.4 Ghz, I believe... Cell phones hang out at 2.4. Hence the crazy traffic there and issues with PAs.

chriskoz

Reaction score
I came across this one in a review. I figured I could just use it for practice but I liked it so much I started gigging with it. No issues at all and I love the freedom.

PJSD

Reaction score
Same setup ^^^ that I use for years. Really like it. I don’t play stages bigger than 30 feet. Mostly it’s a club size stage - for which the GLXD is great and easy to use. If you’re playing arenas or a truly big stage consider something with more range.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Update on the XVive. Mine crapped out last week. Lasted a bit under a year. I'm really disappointed, as it was a convenient system. Maybe I got a bad one, but I won't replace it. I'll try something else.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Update on the XVive. Mine crapped out last week. Lasted a bit under a year. I'm really disappointed, as it was a convenient system. Maybe I got a bad one, but I won't replace it. I'll try something else.
Back to the Smooth hound?

PJSD

Reaction score
No one is gigging these days... sadly. it's spring, and summer we should be playing gigs out in the beautiful weather, BBQ, parties. watching concerts. etc. F'U corona...

El Marin

Reaction score
I have used G10 and G30

I broke the G10 Transmitter the first day. IS plastic and if you put it in a bag with other cables and stuff they can break it. I could also hear some compression. So I sold it and got a G30

G30 much reliable, clean sounding and sturdy than the G10...

... Sold it because for me, there is no point in being wireless... I sing most of the songs so I am tied to the mic, so why bother?

dro

Reaction score
My first wireless was a Nady GT49. In likely the early 80's Used it for one 45 min set. That's when I first learned about latency. Threw it in the trash and got a cable. I saw AC/DC when they were opening act for Aerosmith. Angus used a wireless, went all over the arena. Ones with less latency were really expensive. Didn't go back for ten years or so. Throughout the 90's and early 2000's I used an Audiotech wireless on both my electric and acoustics. Was getting used to not being tied to an amp or DI. Although batteries were getting expensive. Even was using at rehearsal. Then when the frequency wars started, and I was playing live less and less. Got rid of all digital gear. Wireless, multi FX rack units, Stomp boxes ( I do still have a Hardwired reverb I seldom use ) and solid state amps. Now only have tube amps Analogue pedals a Non midi switcher, and cables. All interconnect Pedalboard cables, amp patching, and Studio guitar connect I use George L's cables. Live I'll use Monster for guitar connection. Getting rid of digital was like waking up my system. Difference was like my amp being zipped up in a sleeping bag. Then removing. Clarity was an eye opener, or ear opener. So at this point I don't think I'll be going back to anything digital. Wireless included. If you don't want to deal with my large rig. Don't call me. No skin off my ass. When I play I want tone.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a Nady....had 2 over 25 years ....they sucked. Good price but noisy and cheaply made. Been running a Line 6 G-series since 2018..A+ all the way.

Latest Threads