Gigging Guitarists - which 100% reliable wireless system do you use?

vklobucar

Reaction score
I have the Line 6 G90 but honestly any Line 6 unit works flawlessly :)

Digital wireless units have come a long way. Those old Nady UHF units are super reliable and can be scored very cheap on the used market.

I used an old Nady UHF for years (probably more like two decades) with no complaints.Added a touch of compression to my live tone, but rock solid and no drop outs.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I'd very much like to thank the three guys that have taken the time to pass on their advice to me.
I can't believe, though, how so few people on MLP have any experience or interest in this subject.
FWIW I've found a Bass forum which has at least twenty pages of posts discussing wireless systems!
There you go.
Thanks again chaps
PS I'll probably eventually go with the Smooth hound system as its' spec is pretty good, reasonably priced and I've yet to read a bad review. Also there seems to be fantastic customer support and they're based in the UK which is great for me.

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I use the Line 6 G50, at @SteveC ’s recommendation. He couldn’t have been more right on! It works flawlessly.

And the transmitter is metal, not plastic, which increases durability.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
I have been using the Sure GLX-D Digital Wireless System for a few years now & it has been perfect, would highly recommend.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have been using the Sure GLX-D Digital Wireless System for a few years now & it has been perfect, would highly recommend.
I have been using the GLX-D for over a year now and have not had an issue at any venue. My last band, the second guitarist used one too and he had no issues either. My only complaint about the system is that it tended to spike the treble response of the guitar a bit but I have been able to compensate with my amp controls.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
I have been using the GLX-D for over a year now and have not had an issue at any venue. My last band, the second guitarist used one too and he had no issues either. My only complaint about the system is that it tended to spike the treble response of the guitar a bit but I have been able to compensate with my amp controls.
I never noticed a spike in the treble, I feel it sounds the same as if I used my PRS cable. To my ears it doesn't affect the tone but our ears are all different in our interpretation of sound.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I have a Line 6 G55 and it's great. Has a switch to simulate running through 25 ft cable which takes off a little of the high end. Or you can turn that off and get that sparkle back in. Great unit.

Axis39

Reaction score
Another Line6 G30 user. Sounds great, like the normal 1/4" patch cable format. Battery life has been good. I use rechargeable AA's. A set last a 3 hour gig. I change in between wets on a 4 hour gig.

My only complaint is that the belt clip on my transmitter broke. I am picking up one of those holsters for it to protect it better.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
All three of us guitar players (2 "regular" and the bass) in my band use the Line 6 stuff. Bass and I use the G10 and I think the other guitar uses a G30. Never had an issue.

PJSD

Reaction score
I've been using the Shure GLXD system for 6+ years, works great. It makes swapping guitars at a gig easy too with additional body backs on my guitars and straps read to go. Easy to update the firmware. Also like the foot pedal tuner on my pedal board. I don't play huge stages, but I've played larger fairs and stages, and it works well. If you are doing really big gigs you'll need to look at something else probably.

Neffco

Reaction score
I'd very much like to thank the three guys that have taken the time to pass on their advice to me.
I can't believe, though, how so few people on MLP have any experience or interest in this subject.
FWIW I've found a Bass forum which has at least twenty pages of posts discussing wireless systems!
There you go.
Thanks again chaps
PS I'll probably eventually go with the Smooth hound system as its' spec is pretty good, reasonably priced and I've yet to read a bad review. Also there seems to be fantastic customer support and they're based in the UK which is great for me.
Bass players need wireless. How else are they supposed to get drinks while still playing?

cjpeck

Reaction score
There you go.
Thanks again chaps
Be careful and check what freqs the unit uses. Looks like it uses freqs in the same range as wifi routers. With all the wifi crap in every venue plus what's bleeding in from all over I'd be wary. Just what you need is signal bleeding in in the middle of a set.

Neffco

Reaction score
Be careful and check what freqs the unit uses. Looks like it uses freqs in the same range as wifi routers. With all the wifi crap in every venue plus what's bleeding in from all over I'd be wary. Just what you need is signal bleeding in in the middle of a set.
I’ve seen a sound guy loosing his mind with his wireless mixer. Said that people using cell phones were screwing with his equipment. Have no personal experience with it but I stuck with corded mixers on my last upgrade.

cjpeck

Reaction score
I’ve seen a sound guy loosing his mind with his wireless mixer. Said that people using cell phones were screwing with his equipment. Have no personal experience with it but I stuck with corded mixers on my last upgrade.
we use a mackie dl32r for one of my bands, never had an issue, but we're using a high end router that's password protected. It's worked flawlessly for nearly 4 years. We use it everywhere, even venues that have a board. Well, except really big venues that have REALLY nice stuff... Anyways since we have everything all eq'd, things like compressors and 'verb dialed in for individual instruments and our IEM's already set up the way we like it we tend to just use our dl32r and pass off a stereo out to the house. An added benefit is we can record multi track recordings every gig for reference.
Most slider monkeys like it since it knocks the sound check down to a few tweaks. Also once we get a solid mix on stuff we save those settings and it makes the next gig at that venue even faster.

eh. none of this is related to guitar wireless though.

The Line6 stuff has been bombproof for everyone I know using it. If I were buying another wireless right now that's where I'd look first.

Latest Threads