Gig difficulties and advice thread

PABassPlayer

Reaction score
You always had this option...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrJVhB2LzE]Guitarist Quits Band On Stage - YouTube[/ame]

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
brutal, could never play in public with another musician who couldn't tune...

got any nekkid pics of that drummer? ;)

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice story...

more drummer pics.

Okay, okay...let me see when I can get the pics from the terrible gig from the bass player, and maybe I'll snap some good ones at Halloween--she's going as Animal (the muppet). Maybe I'll share more later...

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
1 Play the Halloween gig

2 ask the drummer out

3 leave band

Seems like a good plan! You are better than I am. I would have left after the first gig. A guitarist who can't even work the knobs on his guitar, its just sad.

Username1

Reaction score
X–Ray;4409206 said:
Your effort is commendable

Just ask the drummer for a date and be done with it

Then move on

+1 this-- i think your motivation was really with the girl, so ask her out and stop playing with them, when you saw them you said the guitarist/boss was severely out of tune, of course this could be a fluke but it sounds like you stepped on a sinking ship willingly, which we've all done in some form or another.

FWIW i keep all of my knobs at 10

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FWIW i keep all of my knobs at 10

I'm sure you know what they all do though, and have worked out other ways to control your dynamics--he hasn't.

Anyway thanks for all the replies, I'll let you all know how the Halloween gig goes and whether I get a date or not in another week or so :wave:.

Username1

Reaction score
I'm sure you know what they all do though, and have worked out other ways to control your dynamics--he hasn't.

Anyway thanks for all the replies, I'll let you all know how the Halloween gig goes and whether I get a date or not in another week or so :wave:.

Funny that i should say that today as i recorded a lil video of myself playing along with a song's solo-- and i turned my bridge volume down to like 5 so that i A) wouldn't get another noise complaint from the neighbors and B) over power the source material. I guess never say never!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRVmPbl1EY]Madness guitar solo - YouTube[/ame]

But usually i keep them at 10-- i don't play out but i record a lot, and the way the engineer and i usually record is by plugging the guitar directly into the interface-- so it helps to have the tone and volume @ 10 so you can get all you can from a direct signal.

Break a leg with the gig and the lady-- hope everything turns out well :thumb:

---Dylan

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well the Halloween gig ended up being a big success! I attribute that to a number of things:

1. It was Halloween, and people wanted to party no matter what (very forgiving crowd)
2. It was at a brewery on Halloween, so people were drunk
3. We added a keys player last minute! Holy crap this guy is phenomenal; he knows about every song in the world and really filled in our sound. I love this guy!! We would have sucked without him, I think, but he compensated for the other guitar player tremendously.
4. The other guitarist bought a new guitar (Les Paul Studio faded).
5. I set up, literally, as far as possible from the other guitarist, on the far side of the stage. When I heard him butchering some rhythm, or when the opening chords of "Float On" by Modest Mouse sounded dark and muddy instead of bright and spanky, I just told myself that I couldn't do anything about it and played my own parts as well as I could.

Sound check didn't go so well; we had a monitor that didn't work and my amp wasn't going to go through the PA because the mic kept distorting. So I was on an island and had to follow instructions from the "sound guy" who told me between songs to go up or down--I eventually gave up. The "sound guy" was really just a friend of the singer who was more interested in flirting and drinking than paying attention to our sound. Still, as the night went on and the party got going, we all got louder and, I think, things sounded pretty good to the audience. It was hard to tell on stage. But people were dancing a ton! I've never seen such an excited crowd at a show I was playing, honestly! It probably had more to do with it being Halloween than how great we were, but I don't care.

I had a great time mingling with some beautiful young women between sets and during the costume contest, too. Unfortunately the brewery isn't a club and shut down when we finished playing (we were on from about 6 to 9:30, with a long break for the costume contest at 7). I was hoping they'd keep the bar open and I could go mingle and flirt, but the bar shut down and we spent the next hour packing up our crap. Us band members did go out for drinks and food afterwards, though I had to be at work at 8am the next morning and was pretty tired from a long day, so no big adventures. Still, tons of fun!

Now...if we could discreetly lose the other guitarist and keep this keyboardist, I think we could be pretty damn good.

Here's a link to a local news site that took some pictures:

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs...10801&Ref=PH&odyssey=mod|defcon|img|FRONTPAGE

They're almost entirely of the costume contest, but there is a great shot of me in costume; it's picture #29. In fact, I'm going to make that my new avatar!! I was originally supposed to be David Bowie and was going for some kind of Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane look; it ended up being a hodgepodge but I think I looked damn awesome, if I do say so myself.

I guess this long saga is heading for a happy ending after all, though if I continued to play with the other guitarist I think I'd lose my mind, so my involvement with them more or less ends here I guess. Unless...

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
I'm glad the gig went well. So,you what are you gonna do about the drummer? Also, Nice costume and Tele.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the gig went well. So,you what are you gonna do about the drummer? Also, Nice costume and Tele.

Give it a week and probably ask her out. We had a nice talk after the show and I think she's very receptive, but like I said I may be moving soon and stuff...we'll see.

Username1

Reaction score
I love that mr. out of tune dressed up as Billy G the master of pinch harmonics!

I'm sure he is a nice enough guy don't want to be mean, i just found it funny.

Nice Bowie get up, and even nicer Tele, that thing looks sharp.

Good luck w/ the drummer!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice Bowie get up, and even nicer Tele, that thing looks sharp.

Good luck w/ the drummer!

Thanks, the Tele is a '62 Reissie American Vintage Thin Skin--totally awesome! I never thought that any guitar would replace a Les Paul as my main axe, but this comes really close. Plus I got that awesome pinup pickguard for it...ohhh man this thing is sexy (I'm holding it right now).

I actually went out with the drummer and another person for a bit tonight; I'm going to have to ask her out on a real date I guess. She's pretty awesome and I have nothing to lose if she says yes or no!

Latest Threads