Gibson's First Authorized Boutique Builder

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Welcome O'Raiser of Dead Threads.
Come, sit by the fire as we enjoy a Friday night on the Backstage.

BTW, what do you think of River, and donkey shows?

mptachenko

Reaction score
'58 specs with a Nashville bridge and three screw trust rod cover? This whole concept confuses me anyway...

zamdrang

Reaction score
"Boutique Builder" right up there with "Private Reserve" Just what the guitar world needs, more pretentiousness

mjross

Reaction score
Dean “Z” USA model. Hard to beat!

redking

Reaction score
Interesting strategy by Gibson - since the argument is being made that they no longer own the trademark for the explorer and "v" shapes, they are trying to "prove" that they do own the trademark by licensing the shapes out to other builders. They must have hired a former magician on their corporate legal team.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Sounds nice and all but I am not sure why I would want to pay more for a Non Gibson - Gibson? Perhaps Gibson can drop similar humbuckers in their existing lines as they did sound sweet.

fretout

Reaction score
Since my previous post (before this thread was necrobumped), I’ve been hearing more and more about Banker, and it looks like they picked up a few more endorsers that typically play some pretty great guitars, namely Bill Kelliher (unofficially) and Brent Hinds.

I originally posted that I thought that what Banker was doing was shortsighted, since if I wanted a Gibson, I’d just buy a Gibson, but it looks like Banker is making the guitars Gibson SHOULD be making. I really love the way the wood looks in the few examples that I’ve seen. And the fact that you can spec out whatever color you want, and you can add things like binding to many models, I have to say that I really wish Gibson offered these options.

So, here is where they lose me: the price. Yes, Banker is charging a king’s ransom for their guitars (which, just like all the rest, claim to earn their price via their “boutique touch”). This is so frustrating. I suppose I anticipated Banker trying to “undercut” Gibson’s prices, even though common sense tells me that they’d have to add in the “royalty” they have to pay Gibson to to be “Authorized Luthier”. If a Banker could make the Gibsons that we all have been clamoring for, and offer them at a lower price point, then it would be an option worth considering...

...but they’re not. They’re basically operating a sister M2M program.

Do we really need another Custom Shop? Have any of us ever said “I wish there was ANOTHER M2M program, just with a different Brand on the headstock”? I can’t speak for everyone, it I certainly haven’t. If I wanted a guitar built to my specs, and I wanted to pay $4,500+ for it, I’d just call Gibson and ask them to build it for me. Even if they didn’t have the online cred of a “Boutique Buiider”, it’s still a Gibson, building Gibson’s guitars, using Gibson’s network of suppliers/luthiers/parts/ect.

What I really wanted from this Authorized Builder program was to see a luthier that offered guitars that Gibson doesn’t offer in their current lines. And if we wanted to get crazy, we could have a ‘58 Explorer built in Pelham Blue, with full binding, for a reasonable price. But instead, we have a redundant Custom Shop.

I’m disappointed, but I do like the way some of their builds look. I suppose when I become famous, it may be neat to have a one off built, but personally, I think I’ll just call up Gibson. They actually might be cheaper!

Just my .02. I wish them luck, but they’re not an option for me right now.

fleahead

Reaction score
I have to ask the obvious; what were you thinking? It's Gibson. They don't do "deals", just look for lame ways to justify ripping people off. It was like that with Henry, and these jackasses are not different. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was....

To those that drink the Kool Aid, have at it.

Latest Threads