Gibson's First Authorized Boutique Builder

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Nathaniel Murphy burns up the brand new '58-spec Korina V and Excalibur from Banker Custom Guitars. It's a series of firsts, as these are the first '58-spec models from the very first run by Gibson's first authorized boutique builder. Learn more from Nathaniel about the Korina V and Excalibur and Banker Custom Guitars, as well as Gibson's authorized boutique builder program and how a small-town banker is helping to reshape the framework of one of the industry's biggest brands.

Attachments

ns2a

Reaction score
I guess as long as it doesn't say Gibson I'm ok with this. I hope Gibson doesn't become like John Deere or worse, Winchester who simply licenses their name out.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
let me guess, after Gibson has added on their cut they go for around the price of a new Toyota ?? .. just a hunch

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
let me guess, after Gibson has added on their cut they go for around the price of a new Toyota ?? .. just a hunch
Not for me, but that means NOTHING.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It nothing more than a parts company paying Fender some chippies to use their head contours.....

Gib, just like Fender, will get points from each sale I would suspect.....

Buying permission to use the designs....

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's just a ploy to appear to be less litigious, but at the same time making money.

“I think there is an attempt to get the best public relations out of this new company that they can, but the ultimate road Gibson is on is the same as the old company, which is to eliminate competition and to attempt to try to get people not to make instruments in these incredibly popular and generic shapes,” Bienstock said.

A coalition of guitar brands, including ESP, Peavey and Collings, have continued to band together with Bienstock to challenge Gibson’s upgrade of its ES-335 trademark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"They’ll say they’re looking for collaboration, but I don’t see that,” Bienstock said. “I hear talks of license deals, but that effectively means they are not collaborating.”

In the end, Bienstock said he wants what is best for his clients and the guitar industry as a whole.

“Our clients have been making and advertising these guitars for many years and want to continue to be able to be free and clear to do that, which I think is their right,” he said."

Last edited:

Howard2k

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe that the intent of allowing selected licensees to build guitars in this shape is for Gibson to show that they're actively trading on the shape, by both their own direct product, and through official third parties. They can then start to pursue other folks who are not currently paying the licence fee and try to force them in line. Again, I could be wrong.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe that the intent of allowing selected licensees to build guitars in this shape is for Gibson to show that they're actively trading on the shape, by both their own direct product, and through official third parties. They can then start to pursue other folks who are not currently paying the extortion fee and try to force them in line. Again, I could be wrong.
Fixed

Latest Threads