*Gibson vs Epiphone*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Actually there is.

http://www.phys.nthu.edu.tw/~gplab/...Magnetic Field Sensor PS-2112(012-07738A).pdf

Anyway, about the thread subject: so, are the probuckers as bright as the burstbuckers? I've never tried those.
No, they got it wrong. There's a magnetic field. It's strength is magnetic flux. It's been 20 years since I took EE / Physics courses but that was beaten into me by more than one physics and EE prof.

Basically the magnetic field is disturbed by the strings, which causes its flux to vary, which causes a small electrical signal to be produced in the windings around the pickup.

Flux == magnetic field strength (integreal over a given area). There's no such thing as a "magnetic field strength field" because that's a rather redundant way of saying things. Some folks who don't understand that well, and write copy for selling probes, make that mistake and it doesn't get caught.

Cyclave

Reaction score
The magnets in the pickup create the magnetic flux field as you can read there. It doesn't say that a flux is created by the pickup.

The string movement makes this field move, and this movement is capted and translated into the electrical signals.

I think you're trying to say exactly the same thing in other words, and it is getting confused.

I'm not exactly sure how exactly a guitar produces the end sounds, but you're basically saying the conductors moving inside the magnetic field is inducing an Emf in accordance with Faraday's Law, correct?

I haven't read all of the posts because I don't have that kind of time :D but I like the physics being talked about. Can't believe the crazy direction this thread took.

deMelo

Banned
Reaction score
Scott:

If it's incorrectly written, I blame the places I've seen it written and described, including academical works (hell, SD actually builds the pickups and said it that way), but anyway I read those as someone merely interested in how guitars work. I am no physicist.

and Cyclave: I have no idea what Emf is or who the hell Faraday was, I hated physics and all I know about pickups is what I read in guitar books and learned from luthiers.

:D

I know how it works, but don't ask me for knowledge in depth, I am a guitar player, that's all lol

I forgot all The maths, physics and chemistry I had at school, on purpose... none of that has any use to me, and I hate it all.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Scott:

If it's incorrectly written, I blame the places I've seen it written and described, including academical works (hell, SD actually builds the pickups and said it that way), but anyway I read those as someone merely interested in how guitars work. I am no physicist.

I really enjoyed physics, but I blame having really good profs at CUDenver. One of my profs was the guy who had theorized the Boze-Einstein condensate, which was proven many years later.

As for improper usage of terms, I blame marketers.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Emf is electromotive force, and yes, Cyclave, you are absolutely correct. Speaking of guitars and sound amplification it would be more appropriate to term emf as an electrical signal.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I know my Gibson has that field going on. I need to look at my Epiphone Firebird, I got it used so they may have taken it off.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
:)

The reason why we discuss how electric guitars work is that understanding it is very important for understanding why wood properties/species affect tone. EPIs and Gibbons are made of absolutely different woods - Asian mahogany vs true mahogany originating from S. America. This means that an EPI will not sound like a Gibson even with Gibson or any pickups because no pickup will emulate differences in acoustic properties of woods.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score

The reason why we discuss how electric guitars work is that understanding it is very important for understanding why wood properties/species affect tone. EPIs and Gibbons are made of absolutely different woods - Asian mahogany vs true mahogany originating from S. America. This means that an EPI will not sound like a Gibson even with Gibson or any pickups because no pickup will emulate differences in acoustic properties of woods.
This is a hypothesis. Would be nice to see some experiments to prove or disprove it.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

From what I know Gibson gets their mahogany from Fiji nowadays - and I don't find it unlikely that Epiphone does too.
Gibson may be more selective though, but I think the biggest difference between the higher end Epiphones and non Custom Shop Gibsons is the pricetag.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I know Gibson gets their mahogany from Fiji nowadays - and I don't find it unlikely that Epiphone does too.
Today, all species of Swietenia grown in their native locations are listed by CITES, and are therefore protected. Both Swietenia mahagoni, and Swietenia macrophylla were introduced into several Asian countries at the time of the restrictions imposed on American mahogany in the late 1990s and both are now successfully grown and harvested in plantations in those countries. The world's supply of genuine mahogany today comes from these Asian plantations, notably from India, Bangladesh, Indonesia and from Fiji, in Oceania.

Source

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
FennRx's 4th Law of Guitar Forums:

For every obnoxious MIA guitar corksniffer, there is an equal and opposite obnoxious import guitar player to counter the self-righteousness.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up sir, I had it all wrong!

giphy.gif

vivanchenko

Reaction score
EPIs are not made of Swietenia macrophylla regardless of where it was grown. None of them. It is only Gibson's privilege. Take an EPI and a Gibson and compare the wood texture. You will easily see that it is absolutely different. As different as a different species could be only. Using a magnifying glass or a microscope will eliminate any doubt. As far as I know, all Asian made guitars are made of Asian "mahogany" originating from Asia. Usually it is a variety of Luan. The only two exceptions that I know of are Navigators (they use true Swietenia macrophylla for them and Navigators are more expensive than regular production Gibson are) and Ibanez (they use African mahogany). I am not sure about older Tokais. Some of them might be made of African mahogany. I would take any Navigator with 50s neck over any regular production Gibson. All Navigators boast solid, single piece, non weight relieved bodies and impeccable quality paralleled by Gibson's custom shop only. I am not sure if they are still being manufactured though.

Rob H.

Reaction score
So now we're doing the "double-blind test" game. Seriously, I don't know how some people buy guitars if you don't accept that trying out a few guitars and hearing a difference between them amounts to anything other than selection bias.

I mean I play a Les Paul Studio and an SG Standard, hardly corksniffer guitars. It's not pissing on Epiphone to say I find, in my experience, Epis have their own sound, Gibsons have their own sound, and I prefer the Gibson sound.

And it's not corksniffing to be skeptical of the supposed fact that Epis and Gibsons are made of the same wood when we know that was not the case as least as recently as a few years ago.

Play a solid top Epiphone acoustic (not a Masterbuilt) with mahogany neck, back and sides, and play it next to any basic Gibson acoustic with sprucee and mahogany. They're going to sound completely different, and its beyond the cuteness of "well, no two guitars sound the same".

vivanchenko

Reaction score
FennRx's 4th Law of Guitar Forums:

For every obnoxious MIA guitar corksniffer, there is an equal and opposite obnoxious import guitar player to counter the self-righteousness.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Initially one gets asked what's the difference between EPIs and Gibsons. When one does tell what it is, one gets labeled by EPI lovers as an obnoxious corksniffer. EPIs are made of "mahogany" originating from Asia such as Luan. This is not what is known as "true" mahogany. There is nothing you can do about it. If you want a guitar made of true mahogany buy a Gibson, a PRS (excluding their SE line), a Navigator, an older Tokai or an Ibanez. The latter two brands use African mahogany.

I never said that Asian mahogany is bad. All I said is that it is very different, and it really is.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
That is correct. But afterall I'm the man that matters not you.

So what? Where did I say that EPIs sound bad? They are different. They really are and getting frustrated about it is simply stupid. In one of my resent posts I said this:

"My (personal) conclusion is this: if you want to sound like a Gibson or like many classic players playing Gibsons - buy a Gibson. If you understand that tone is subjective and that all wood created by God is good in its own way then an EPI might be your thing."

What's wrong about it?

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I got lost towards the end of the 5th page. I need to watch a few Simpson episodes to calm my brain down. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads