Gibson V-FACTOR X

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried one? They look fine to me from photos but I haven't been able to try one.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about flying Vs or am I just starting and killing threads all on my own again.......?

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about flying Vs or am I just starting and killing threads all on my own again.......?
I play a V

epi korina flying v '58 reissue

iv changed the pickups and electronics because well....its and epiphone but the craftsmanship is impeccable i had the importers up in sydney pick the best one with the lightest finish out of seven.

it feels great because its solid korina its quite light it balances really well standing its a bit tricky sitting down but you get used to it over a month or two, the upper fret access is unmatched.

it feels great to play and looks great especially if your a bit built or just tall.

the neck on mine is amazing so fast its the best i have felt on any guitar, the finish is flawless and the grain shimmers like a wavy mirror in the light i just don’t want to scratch it noooooooooo its very user friendly the master tone knob leaves a little to be desired but you don’t really take much notice.

all in all its going to be very hard to turn back to a les Paul with this monster in my hands.

vplayer

Reaction score
I have the faded version and I love it. It's my favorite guitar and I have other guitars that cost 3x as much (PRS, Les Paul etc...).
It's very confortable to play, easy access to the upper frets, really fast neck and I love the Gibson ceramics pickups. They're perfect for hard rock distorted tones and also for percussive clean tones for funk, etc...

When I bought mine, I tried a lot of Vs at the store, both faded and non-faded models. I like the faded better because I sweat a lot so I really like the satin finish in the back of the neck (my Les Paul is also a faded Std), but the non-faded models are more consistent from one guitar to the other.
The quality of the faded models varies wildly and I saw a few with poorly matched wood, sharp frets etc... while others were totally sweet.

So my suggestion if you're looking for a V is go to a store that has quite a few of them in stock and give them all a try. And don't automatically write off the faded version, there are some real gems on the faded line.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't write off a faded V o anything other than the faded finish. It's not really my cup of tea unless it's on a flamey Lester.

vplayer

Reaction score
I wouldn't write off a faded V o anything other than the faded finish. It's not really my cup of tea unless it's on a flamey Lester.
well I have both the faded V and the faded flamey lester:

I love the feel on the back of the neck and as for the top, it's nothing a little bit of meguiar's car polish can't fix... :thumb:

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
See I like the Lester as it has that old violin look to it.

The Extremist

Reaction score
All you need is a floating trem, and shave the neck down a little bit and they are pwnsome.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Finally got my V.
I've never owned or played one before but have seen plenty in action.
Just love it. Got a very good one.

V1a.jpg

LongBeach

Reaction score
I like the sound & feel of the V's, but I spend 90% of the time practicing
on a stool, and I dont like proping the inside of the V on my leg so
it will sit still. I know, I know, quit crying!

G-Minor

Reaction score
I got a 1990 standard v sunburst model for $200 at a pawn shop sounds like a dream and its a gibson.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Turns out that the one I got is the Limited Edition. I got it unplayed in the case though it was a couple of years old.

Flying V Limited Edition

Still has the plastic on the pickguard etc..

kevinT

Reaction score
Spence,

that is a sweet V. Want to sell it?:naughty:

How do you like those high output ceramic buckers?

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is sweet. I'm thinking seriously about using it as my main gigging axe. Ceramic buckers? They'll be coming out!

kevinT

Reaction score
Throw in some WB's brother!
Spence makes pickups. He'll probably make a special set for it. Or let me put a set of my hot PAFs in it.:naughty:

Spence,
still waiting on the tape from 3M. they said it will ship yesterday or today. I'll get it in the mail to you when it arrives along with the flatback tape.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kev. looking forward to that tape coming in.

Meanwhile, who knows if I win a set of WBs or Wolfetones. Well, I'm not going to win because I donated but asked Bobbo to give my tickets to someone more needy.

Here's a set of my Shed PAF Daddys that I made today for a Russian LP replica.

PAF EX 2a.jpg

I'll almost certainly put a set of these in my V.

Latest Threads