Gibson using ABR-1 conversion posts now??

Hogie34

Reaction score
Anyone know what prompted them to use Nashville style bridge bushings with ABR-1 conversion posts? Probably an economic decision but it cheapens the look of the guitar in my opinion. Anyway, not enough to bash on my favorite guitar but just felt the undeniable urge to vent about it....:wtf:

I’m done, carry on. :io:

bryvincent

Reaction score
most likely because it's easier to install. and also probably because of the abr posts' tendency to lean specially USA models generally have steeper neck angles making the bridge higher.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I think they have been doing that on guitars that have at times over the years had Nashville bridges on them. That way they already have the bushings in place in case they decide to go back to Nashvilles on that model. I noticed it on a recent Trad, but I hear they are back to normal ABR's on threaded posts on the 2019's (which will probably be the last year of the Trad, it is generally supposed that the core line 50's/60's LP models will replace the Trad when they come out).
Al

Graham H

Reaction score
Does anyone have some photo's to post so that we have an example of what we should be looking for and what is good, and what is not good about what is being done ??? I for one would be grateful to be able to have a visual point of reference as the '60's and '70's were pretty "good" or "bad" to me, what ever your point of view is !!!

MSB

Reaction score
^ just imagine ABR on nashville studs.

Hogie34

Reaction score
EB65DE19-B466-446F-87BA-D4FFC67EC33A.jpeg 9AA462E0-61D3-4FED-A0EB-C6DA1D8A3B70.jpeg
Does anyone have some photo's to post so that we have an example of what we should be looking for and what is good, and what is not good about what is being done ??? I for one would be grateful to be able to have a visual point of reference as the '60's and '70's were pretty "good" or "bad" to me, what ever your point of view is !!!
Sure buddy. Here’s my SG. I also have one on my ‘19 Classic.

The more I think about it, the more I actually like the idea. Mainly for the ability to easily switch over from one bridge to another . They’re just plain Nashville bushings so they hide under the adjustment wheel pretty well.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
My SG has them, too. I don't think it's terrible. Probably is more stable than the skinny ABR posts straight into the wood. And yes, ability to change to different bridges easily is nice, too.

Hogie34

Reaction score
My SG has them, too. I don't think it's terrible. Probably is more stable than the skinny ABR posts straight into the wood. And yes, ability to change to different bridges easily is nice, too.
yeah, once I got over my traditionalist way of thinking, I definitely see the benefits, especially in these USA models that are going to get played a lot more than say a historic etc. I’d like things to stay traditional with a guitar like that where you are paying for vintage specs.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have an older MIJ SG copy with the posts straight into the wood. My bridge collapsed and when I got the new bridge I realized those posts were bent a bit. Maybe I should have taken them out and put in new posts, but I didn't. It did make it harder to get the bridge set to the correct height because of it. So there is that :)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
The upcoming ‘50/‘60 USA line (presented at the NAMM) has the ABR1 as in the originals, no conversion posts.

519tbarr

Reaction score
They have had the ABR/nashville insert posts on the Traditional's, & Classics since 2017.

gball

Reaction score
I like that they do it this way, so if I ever buy a guitar with this setup I can easily change out the flimsy little ABR for a Nashville.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score