Gibson USA vs Custom shop finishes

dvir

Reaction score
Hey,
I noticed gibson custom shop finishes, look good on pretty much all of them, while gibson USA have ugly, ugliest, pretty and prettiest.
the custom shop really is appealing t:hmm:

afjungemann

Reaction score
I think the idea is that the custom shop puts extra care into their work. That doesn't mean there arent duds in the mix but I generaly find CS models to be pretty well done.

skysc

Reaction score
i agree that some custom shop / historic finish are amazing . i usually dont like burst ( sunburst , desert burst , honeyburst etc.. colors .... but some R9 flametop and other custom shop bursts are just amazing. but their in the 5000 $ range and i wouldnt that much for a nice top .

Its really hit or miss though. some high price custom shop are just average .

thank god im a fan of solid colors so i have no g.a.s for the historic line .

nagha

Reaction score
The only customs that interest me are the r8 plaintop and the Black Beauty 3. The occasional candy red or wine red stands out too.

stone_gossard

Reaction score
hello,

i beg to differ.. i believe its really depends on the guitar and the builder itself..i am talking about the finishing/neatness..

based on my experience ( 2 standards 2004 and 2006, one 2013 R7)..those standards are neat and tidy..but my recent purchased 2013 R7 (NOS brand new)..the binding already crack on the nibs..some red color on neck binding..pup ring is not seating properly on the curved area..switch plate on cavity is not flush to the body etc..

BUT....i try not to give much attention on that minor details since the playability..tone..vol/control knobs/pup on R7 are wayyyy to good..as a whole package, i give good impression on custom shop, at least to my own guitar..

of course if gibson would give attention on the details on every of their instruments would be better..especially on custom shop models as it demand higher price..my 2 cents

jlb32

Reaction score
hello,

i beg to differ.. i believe its really depends on the guitar and the builder itself..i am talking about the finishing/neatness..

based on my experience ( 2 standards 2004 and 2006, one 2013 R7)..those standards are neat and tidy..but my recent purchased 2013 R7 (NOS brand new)..the binding already crack on the nibs..some red color on neck binding..pup ring is not seating properly on the curved area..switch plate on cavity is not flush to the body etc..

BUT....i try not to give much attention on that minor details since the playability..tone..vol/control knobs/pup on R7 are wayyyy to good..as a whole package, i give good impression on custom shop, at least to my own guitar..

of course if gibson would give attention on the details on every of their instruments would be better..especially on custom shop models as it demand higher price..my 2 cents

The binding cracks on the nibs is more than likely the nitro laquer checking some. The bleeding of the analine dye into the neck binding is also normal. The dyes and laquer are different on the Custom Shop Reissues.

stone_gossard

Reaction score
The binding cracks on the nibs is more than likely the nitro laquer checking some. The bleeding of the analine dye into the neck binding is also normal. The dyes and laquer are different on the Custom Shop Reissues.

why cant they just clean it up the bleeding ?..but im ok..just give it a chracter i guess..

i dont know whetehr this is lacquer checking..looks like a crack with own eyes..heres the pic

hope you can see this line

image_zpsb0zkgmgk.jpg

FUS44

Reaction score
Like it or not the bleed is "accurate". And at the end of the day, when talking Reissues, that is a critical word.

in reality, my custom shop guitars were flawless. (I am a thrasher for sure). But accurate to the oldies, not so much. Either way, with cost of Gibsons, they'd better ALL be flawless. (lol)

Head and shoulders in fit and finish to my USA products? uh, yes on the Faded, even steven on my 91 studio lite. It was and is very nice and a "bargain model".

I am having some trouble expressing this because warts and all, I like my faded Standard best. but the R9 and CR8 are violins and I guess it depends what you want. But, by and large the Custom Shops I have played have shown a further degree of "finish".

However, let me be the first to tell you, a good guitar is a good guitar. Period. Regardless of the shop it came out of. That faded is as good as anything else I own and any CS envy should be ignored. But, if you can't live without it, don't cheat yourself becuase you'll question your decision everyday until you get what you want.

ARandall

Reaction score
The custom shop/reissue finishes tend to try and look more 'old', so they are a bit faded or washed out, less garish and new. Even production line finishes like teaburst which are emulating a faded burst are still sprayed to be a strong hue.

ARandall

Reaction score
why cant they just clean it up the bleeding ?..but im ok..just give it a chracter i guess..

i dont know whetehr this is lacquer checking..looks like a crack with own eyes..heres the pic

hope you can see this line

image_zpsb0zkgmgk.jpg
The rear is sprayed with tinted clear and the binding taped off to stop the back colour getting on the binding A lot of times they deliberately tape off the binding high so there is actually a straight line.....the binding may or may not form this line due to a lot of factors, some being the fact that plastic moulding is often less than perfect.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
With the price difference between USA and CS one can expect the qulity to be better.

Saying that one can get very luck with some of the USA, I have seen amazing tops and vice versa there have been some pics of not so nice CS's (or lets say for that money one would expect a bt better QC and drive for perfection).

Lefty Adams

Reaction score
Hey,
I noticed gibson custom shop finishes, look good on pretty much all of them, while gibson USA have ugly, ugliest, pretty and prettiest.
the custom shop really is appealing t:hmm:
What? Speak up boy, can't hear you!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
With the price difference between USA and CS one can expect the qulity to be better.

Saying that one can get very luck with some of the USA, I have seen amazing tops and vice versa there have been some pics of not so nice CS's (or lets say for that money one would expect a bt better QC and drive for perfection).
Lest ye forget, in today's world "price" and "quality" don't go hand-in-hand.

I've seen some guitars from the CS, that looked like they were built/finished by a bunch of blind monkeys. And, yet some from the USA lines that were near perfect. Go figure.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lest ye forget, in today's world "price" and "quality" don't go hand-in-hand.

I've seen some guitars from the CS, that looked like they were built/finished by a bunch of blind monkeys. And, yet some from the USA lines that were near perfect. Go figure.

I know, I know, that's whey I smallered the "expectations" in my first line.

paco1976

Reaction score
I am not surprised that the CS are good. What I am amazed is the lack of expertise, patience and care they show in the USA models.

PW214

Reaction score
I am not surprised that the CS are good. What I am amazed is the lack of expertise, patience and care they show in the USA models.

Are you referring to the more recent Gibson USA?

I have a 2005 Faded that looks amazing, 10 years later...and from what I understand, that was under the Gibson USA aegis.

afjungemann

Reaction score
I think the issue lies in the numbers. Gibson is trying to balance between making guitars SOMEWHAT affordable (lets ignore 2015 for the time being) and making them high quality. The best way to do that is in the masses. They make so many guitars in a year with processes that are a bit time consuming that it is just going to happen. My guitars have all been very clean with exception of a little pink puddy near the stop tail studs. That came off pretty easily with a tooth pick.

FUS44

Reaction score
Are you referring to the more recent Gibson USA?

I have a 2005 Faded that looks amazing, 10 years later...and from what I understand, that was under the Gibson USA aegis.

Without a doubt your guitar looks great, but if you look closely are there things like file marks on the FB, spots where the binding may've been hastily scraped around the body?. Other tiny fit and finish issues? I don't recall my 2005 faded being as rough as my current number one (an 07) but as far as the final 10% of finishing (satin faded finish notwithstanding) it is rough.

And if you hold that 07 up to my other CSLP's, Paco1976's comments are validated. Fortunately, it sounds great and looks better.

EDIT: I wonder if a guitar like mine was a numbers crunch, rushed or a Friday/Monday guitar. ;)

PW214

Reaction score
Without a doubt your guitar looks great, but if you look closely are there things like file marks on the FB, spots where the binding may've been hastily scraped around the body?. Other tiny fit and finish issues? I don't recall my 2005 faded being as rough as my current number one (an 07) but as far as the final 10% of finishing (satin faded finish notwithstanding) it is rough.

And if you hold that 07 up to my other CSLP's, Paco1976's comments are validated. Fortunately, it sounds great and looks better.

EDIT: I wonder if a guitar like mine was a numbers crunch, rushed or a Friday/Monday guitar. ;)

Interesting. I'm going to have to look it over much closer now. lol

FUS44

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm going to have to look it over much closer now. lol

Don't obsess...Us Faded Standard owners aren't wimps and complainers!:cool: If it plays well and you are happy, don't sweat it.

Latest Threads