Gibson USA Slash Anaconda 2018. Affordable R9 in disguise?

AJK1

Reaction score
What’s so good about a long neck tenon ?

Harleytech

Reaction score
They are usually reserved for the custom shop guitars , The way they did it in the early years... On the reissues..
I have never seen them on a USA model though...

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are usually reserved for the custom shop guitars , The way they did it in the early years... On the reissues..
I have never seen them on a USA model though...
2008 to 2013 USA Standards have the long neck tenon.....here’s my 2013 Standard.
E1D1C5F0-0F69-44D1-AAD6-0C349666E113.jpeg

jktxs

Reaction score
Even regular MIC Epis have the long tenon as well now, imo it's an almost joke feature used to distinguish others Gibsons from historics (mainly). The regular, non historic Gibson Les Paul Custom used to have the short tenon, since ebony fretboards were reintroduced in 2019 it got upgraded with a long tenon.

The 2008 expanded tenon (USA) is structurally superior to the original long tenon and imo the best design, I think this never caught on because the more complex geometry would make it harder for corrections when the neck doesn't fit.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Historically accurate thing.....but not the only thing as some like to believe.

The original '50s model Les Pauls had less wood removed from the control cavity,...the wire channel is a quarter of the size than of those on USA models today....PU routes are different....the necks were bigger.....the Headstocks are thicker..Holly Veneer....the Truss Rod channel smaller....in some respects the Originals and their Historic reissue counterparts have more wood than those produced on the USA regular product line.

Of course there is the hardware component that sets them apart as well.

More than a neck join.

Last edited:

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Custom Shop guitars are expensive no doubt, but they will deliver a superior guitar to the USA line more reliably.

I've got people with my band's name tattooed on them, been kicked out of places for effing it up too much while performing, had songs I wrote played on the radio. I own a R8, it's the second best LP I've ever touched behind a real '60 Burst. They're not just for yuppies. It took me a long time to pay for it, but not buying that guitar would still be haunting me.
i agree, im a cook.Far from a Yuppie,and had to suffer many burns and cuts,to god willing have the honor,to my absolute amazement to be able to afford and own the now 3 Historics ive attained.A 2019 60th Anniversary R9, a 2018 R0, and a 2016 1961 SG Standard.I also have Gibson Usa.....with that said, they are years off from a Historic, even if on paper Gibson gives a usa model all the same features.It will never be a Custom Shop.This is just what i have experienced so far

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mud, you still have the BB Pros in it or was the pic when taken swapping them out
Those are the original pups amigo.... i think they just abbreviated it to Pro on the sticker.....i never changed them out and i did buy it brand new.

timberterra

Reaction score
The USA model is a solid body with a long neck tenon, no weight relief or chambering, a one piece back & it's constructed from light mahogany (my one weighs around 8 pounds) it also has a hide glue fitted neck, rosewood fingerboard & historic medium jumbo frets too. It even has the same neck taper & wiring as the Custom Shop model (orange capacitors etc)

It's just missing a AAA top, nylon nut, cellulose inlays, a traditional ABR bridge & so called "replica plastics" (which look no different to the one's on the USA model anyway)

It's basically the same guitar, just a few grand cheaper because it has a AA top, different plastics & an ABR bridge which is mounted on metal bushings lol

Are inlays, plastic & an original ABR bridge really worth thousands more? lol if so, why? Does Gandalf the Wizard put them in there?

Anyway, I think it's interesting that the USA model has all the raw ingredients of an R9 for half the price of one. If I got this resprayed, upgraded its nut, inlays & changed its electronics I'd still have a "historic Les Paul" for less money. It'd just have a modern bridge
I just got a Slash model (I’m a Slash fan but was hesitant to get a signature model) and it is one of the best Les Pauls that I own and I have a R9. I feel like it is a less expensive R9. I honestly grab it more.
I like the pups in it. I know some Slash purist don’t like them but I didn’t get the guitar to sound like Slash. I’m a lefty and it can be hard to find good quality guitars sometimes.

Rando375

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a Slash model (I’m a Slash fan but was hesitant to get a signature model) and it is one of the best Les Pauls that I own and I have a R9. I feel like it is a less expensive R9. I honestly grab it more.
I like the pups in it. I know some Slash purist don’t like them but I didn’t get the guitar to sound like Slash. I’m a lefty and it can be hard to find good quality guitars sometimes.
Congrats on two very nice guitars and please be sure to post pics of them.

But please, don't encourage him and throw more fuel on this dumpster fire ;)

Last edited:

evh5150

Reaction score
I think the Custom Shop models are designed with lawyers or bankers in mind or something. Some non rocking, corporate guy who can't play guitar so he collects them to compensate for his lack of talent & creative skill. He believes he has a collection of "superior instruments" hanging on his wall. But they're just overpriced ornaments gathering dust. His yuppie mind doesn't see guitars, he can only see "investments". Something to sell or bargain with later on. He's threatened by change because he's protective of his "investments" & can't think beyond their "resale value" . So he goes out of his way to keep Gibson the same. I can remember how hard the collectors seethed when the 2015 range was released. But I thought they were great guitars! lol
That description totally describes me, except I’m a cabinet maker and guitar builder. But, the reason I have over 160 guitars, besides being emotionaly unstable, is I’m a frustrated guitarist. I truly believe if I could play better, I’d have way fewer guitars.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
I own a Slash and a '20 R9 and can comment from first hand knowledge. First, I've said many times that the Slash is as close as you can get to a Custom Shop without it being a Custom Shop. Is it worth $500 to upgrade from a Standard? In my opinion, yes. I love mine. Wildwood hand picked it and set it up, so that might be a reason why I love it. On the other hand, my R9 is better. In fact, the best guitar I've ever played or owned. I enjoy both (as I do playing my R8). Here are pics of each for those looking for pictures: (R9 is Sweetwater pic because mine is too big to upload)

Slash Best.jpg
R9 2019.jpeg

callmeval

Reaction score
I didn't mean to rattle so many cages & to be honest, I needed to step away from this thread for a while because it got creepy & it weirded me out. Please understand, there's a lockdown right now & it's taking ages for things to arrive in the post (especially here) so I can't reasonably ruin a fresh pack of strings just to prove a computer screen wrong... & why should I even have to?!? lol no one should tolerate that kind of accusatory behavior from anyone, ever.

Besides, I've noticed there's a few other guys here who own the exact same guitar as me so maybe they could take some pictures of their guitars & we could solve this mystery together. Everyone knows the 2020 Anaconda is just a 50's Standard in disguise. It's the 2018 Anaconda's that seem to have production irregularities. Gibson is notorious for having unpredictable production, none of their guitars are the same.

I'm thinking... Gibson maybe mass produced a bunch of long tenon necks for this specific run but then something weird happened, like their bankruptcy issues (at the time) or whatever & that's why some have them & some seem to not have them? I wouldn't know. But it is weird & I'd like to know what's going on too. Unless I somehow ended up with a Custom Shop model, which wouldn't make any sense because it doesn't have a Custom Shop bridge. It has a Standard fake ABR bridge. Maybe it's a Custom Shop reject? It plays amazing so I doubt it.

Gibson is a crafty company & they're very, very corrupt. They're not honest & they haven't been honest with customers for years. Like telling everyone there's ABR-1 bridges on 50's Standards, when they're just ABR-1 "tribute" bridges on metal bushings lol & all the other crafty, scheming, corporate things they do to get money.

Zylo

Reaction score
This is what I think and its seemingly more and more likely I'm probably right
Gibson is using its historics as its unique selling point, always marketing guitars as historically accurate reissues etc.
But if you were to be able to go back in time,say to 1958-60 to their workshop, remember they were not a mass producing factory then. Who knows what specs were getting produced, depending on which Joe was working on a particular day, one day Joe could be working on necks and another day Steven would be working on a few, and Steven just made the neck however thick he felt like, they weren't so methodical in those days.
Just like pickups, some guys would probably wind them up more some less...
Even they couldn't tell you what wood they were probably using themselves

I mean has anyone even seen like a blueprint or schematic of say a 1959 LP?

Every year Gibson needs to give you a reason to buy a new model or to trade up. If they were to make one standard historic accurate model, we would just buy that and never buy another.

Greg Dunn

Reaction score
I personally don't like the Nashville bridge, so for me that alone is a deal breaker.

Is it a good guitar? Probably is it R9 rival, not a chance.

PauloQS

Reaction score
The 2018 and current Slash Standards are almost the same guitar. Thus if you think the current Slash Standards are just a Standard ‘50s in disguise, the 2018 are even more so, because of the AA maple top.

You don’t need to take the strings off to look into the neck pickup cove. You just need to loosed the strings and a cloth to protect the top from scratches.

You’re getting creeped out for being called out. Come on, dude. The only reason this is happening is so that people who are wondering about these things online can find reliable info in this forum. Are you really going to be this way because your ego got hurt?

In what I believe is nearly impossible event you’re right, you provide info for someone else looking to buying this particular guitar. If you confirm my suspicions, you still provide information. Besides, a “sorry I was wrong” doesn’t hurt and in fact it would earn respect in my books.

DBDM

Reaction score
I toured Gibson USA on Feb 29 of 2020 and spent about 4 hours inside. One of the questions I asked was about USA shop guitars and long neck tenons. I was told that there are none made and that it is (in the current setup) impossible (again, without re-tooling). If there is a guitar labeled USA shop with a long neck tenon, it was not originally made in the USA shop. (I did not read this whole thread before posing that and someone may have already said it.)

Thundermtn

Reaction score
In general on guitar boards there's two kinds of people

The first is ok with letting people be wrong, they keep their peace and move on.

The second will not tolerate someone that's wrong trying to convince everyone else that their rubbish is correct.

If someone has a recent long tenon USA, asking to see it isn't creepy, it expands the knowledge of people looking for information about those guitars. You don't have to take the strings off to pull a pickup, it's 4 screw and about two minutes of time.

Latest Threads