Gibson USA Slash Anaconda 2018. Affordable R9 in disguise?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Did we ever get to see real pics of his personal guitars? He said he sold the Gibsons and replaced them with Epiphones so I wasn't sure what's going on here.

callmeval

Reaction score
I don't want to engage in psychological warfare over a guitar (& the fact some of you tried is really bizarre to me, lockdown fever maybe?) but I'd just like to confirm that it does indeed have a long tenon. However, this run appears to be a mixed bag. Some seem to weigh a pound or so more than my one, whereas others are around about the same. Some appear to have a short tenon, others have a long one like mine. Some people claim it has a skinny neck (like mine) & others claim it's chunky & fat. Only 500 were made, I think 50 were signed & the rest were not. I'm presuming that the "long tenon" models were intended for the Custom Shop but maybe they found a fault in them & gave them to Gibson USA instead? It's the only way I can make sense of this weirdness. Andertons is a reputable Gibson dealer & they wouldn't falsely advertize a product. I was accused of providing a fake screenshot from the product page, well here's the actual product page & you can see for yourselves that it was listed as having a long tenon, no weight relief & all the other features I've mentioned in my previous messages.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If it's so much of a mixed bag, then there's no way it can compare to a R9 in any form or fashion.

The weights and specs are all over the place on the Slash, with the R9 you know exactly what you'll receive and it has separately sourced lumber that is sorted by weight during pre-production.

We still haven't saw a single pic of any guitar you have either.

jskidder

Reaction score
There is no evidence anywhere of these having a long neck tenon other than the unsubstantiated claim the OP makes. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but there are no verified visuals as far as I'm aware. Same goes for the hide glue, which I am certain is not used on this model simply because Gibson USA isn't set up to construct guitars that way.

The neck specs do seem to vary though. Every official spec I've seen from Gibson claims they have a "thick" neck profile, which is in line with what is known about Slash's preferences. And most posted actual measurements align with a general '59 profile. But I have seen some actual neck measurements from these that would put them firmly in '60s neck territory - including an example CME had that measured .80 - .93.

Weights are all over the place, but that's common with any Gibson USA LP. Could be close to 8lb, could be a hair over 10lb.

One-piece bodies are a crapshoot. It's not a spec for this guitar and most I've seen are two-piece. Further, I've owned and seen many regular Gibson USA Standards with one-piece bodies and even more custom shop reissues with two-piece bodies. That has nothing to do with anything.

And as mentioned, custom shop reissues don't use orange drop caps.

Ultimately there is nothing that would lead anyone to believe that this guitar compares in any way to an R9. Hell, I'd even argue that the 2019-current production model Slash signatures are better spec'd than the 2018 limited edition. I have no idea where OP is getting this comparison, other than some marketing speak that Music Zoo and some others used when they were trying to move these.

redking

Reaction score
If there are some with a long tenon and hide glue, they were likely constructed in the Custom Shop as a special deal for Slash's line since he is their "figurehead" artist - it doesn't look like the USA factory is set up for hide glue based on their own promo video. Perhaps a limited number were put together in the CS and then were transferred over to the USA factory for finishing.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
That's possible. A bunch of the under the radar CC guitars were turned into something else.

callmeval

Reaction score
If it's so much of a mixed bag, then there's no way it can compare to a R9 in any form or fashion.

The weights and specs are all over the place on the Slash, with the R9 you know exactly what you'll receive and it has separately sourced lumber that is sorted by weight during pre-production.

We still haven't saw a single pic of any guitar you have either.
We? lol wow... I wasn't aware that this was a courtroom, I thought it was a message forum.

I'm not going to prove anything to you otherwise I'd be negotiating with a sinister form of blackmail, which would leave me feeling miserable & depressed.

But if it helps you to believe I'm wrong, do so. I own the guitar & I know I'm right. So it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry that you're all threatened by an electric guitar. It's okay, do not be alarmed, it's not going to teleport through the screen & get you or lower the value of your current property on account of its excellent specs

So you can all go ahead & stop seething now.

Group hug?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We? lol wow... I wasn't aware that this was a courtroom, I thought it was a message forum.

I'm not going to prove anything to you otherwise I'd be negotiating with a sinister form of blackmail, which would leave me feeling miserable & depressed.

But if it helps you to believe I'm wrong, do so. I own the guitar & I know I'm right. So it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry that you're all threatened by an electric guitar. It's okay, do not be alarmed, it's not going to teleport through the screen & get you or lower the value of your current property on account of its excellent specs

So you can all go ahead & stop seething now.

Group hug?
Shut us all up....and feel redeemed by posting detail pics of your Slash model Les Paul.... love to see that long tenon.... I showed you mine.

No pics.... it’s bullshit.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
At least this specific Gibson USA Slash Anaconda doesn't have a long neck tenon.

I would love to do a blind test and see if I could tell the difference, but honestly I don't think my ears are that sophisticated.

1613607080456.png

jskidder

Reaction score
At least this specific Gibson USA Slash Anaconda doesn't have a long neck tenon.

I would love to do a blind test and see if I could tell the difference, but honestly I don't think my ears are that sophisticated.

We're talking about the 2018 limited edition model, not the 2019-current regular production Slash signature.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Dude, quit trying to be so edgy. You got called out on your bs and now you’re upset. Show the pictures. Aderton’s is indeed reputable, but not infallible. Wouldn’t be the first nor the last time they get specs wrong. No one is saying you faked the screenshot, what’s being said is that your source is inaccurate.

I doubt the that any Gibson Custom Shop guitar would ever get downgraded and passed down to the Gibson USA factory. Just look at that headstock, how it’s shaped different from a Custom Shop. The 2018 Gibson USA Slash is even a different size than the Custom Shop Slash of that same year.

jktxs

Reaction score
Make claims without proof to back it up, get called out for it. Simple, really.

OP sh!ts on CS guitars, generalises buyers as unskilled yuppies, props up his USA to the CS guitars he was just bashing (lol)... It's obvious he's here just to stir the pot.

I busted my balls & managed to get a custom shop as well & it's one of the best guitars I've got.
OP claims he has a CS guitar too, tbh I'm more interested in that. :D

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges

Gibson standard is 2.5k
Epiphone standard 600

Not really.... just spent 2 minutes looking for cool gibson around 600.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long neck tenon in them? Great, I’d buy one if I found one cheap enough, I do like the anaconda finish, I’ll draw J Lo’s butt outline on the back. Although the only one for sale in U.K. is more than a used r8, and close to some R9’s in price.

Last edited:

Latest Threads