Gibson USA Slash Anaconda 2018. Affordable R9 in disguise?

callmeval

Reaction score

You've posted Anderton's marketing literature for the 2017 Slash First Standard which is a '58 burst reissue. That one has a somewhat slim neck profile that was used on a lot of the more recent R8s.
Wrong. I posted a screenshot from the Anderton's page which sold the model I own.

Attachments

callmeval

Reaction score
One thing i could not get along with is the USA line’s neck angles. They seem to set it a bit steeper this requiring the bridge to be higher off the body. Not a big deal but noticeable to me.
I've had this problem too & it made me resent several of my LPs, which I either ended up selling or swapping (for other ones) lol but the Slash guitar is completely different. Maybe they could afford this run better attention because it was such a limited run? I don't know. But it doesn't have that infuriating problem

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
It's one of the best LPs I've ever owned or played but I didn't get it to emulate Slash. I got it for its "historic specs'. However there are things about it that bother me lol I hate that it was designed to be without a PG. I think LPs look ugly & unclassy without PGs. That's my only complaint though.
I thought your Epiphone is better that your Gibsons?! :facepalm:

Harleytech

Reaction score
Yes, I have verified it for myself. Also...
I did not know that... You sure it's not a limited custom shop run ? I call BS...
Even so, I like Slash, But not enough to buy any of his signature guitars...

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Every official dealer who sold the guitar marketed it as a solid body with no weight relief too. Were they all lying? I doubt it.
You're taking dealers at their word? There was two recent threads in the historic part of this forum of dealers claiming Brazilian fretboards on guitars that are clearly not.

callmeval

Reaction score
You're taking dealers at their word? There was two recent threads in the historic part of this forum of dealers claiming Brazilian fretboards on guitars that are clearly not.
So I should take your word for it instead? lol this a message forum, people will go to all kinds of silly lengths just to appear right on a computer screen to save face or to earn emojis or whatever. Like the guy who accused me of something that literally never happened just to make himself seem "right" too. It's actually insane, when you really think about it.

PauloQS

Reaction score
No one here is saying it's weight relieved. It is clearly not. However, the long neck tenon thing, not saying it matters, but I have not seen anywhere but from the screenshot you provided. A proper proof would be a photo from inside the neck pickup cavity.

Also there are plenty of the current line of Slash Standards that are in the same weight ballpark as R9's. I should know for I own an R9 and a current Slash standard of similar weights.

jktxs

Reaction score
Wrong. I posted a screenshot from the Anderton's page which sold the model I own.
Clearly Anderton's have been copy pasting ad literature verbatim from their previous posts, regarding completely different products at that. I've not seen any mention from official Gibson marketing that the Anaconda burst's neck profile was modelled after a '50s LP, I'm pretty sure it's specced to Slash's preferences because it was one of his tour guitars in 2017.

In fact the custom shop page of the Anaconda burst says "Custom Slash Taper", with depths of .91" 1st - 1.05" 12th

The Slash First Standard's neck profile is advertised as a "Replica '58 C", and from the examples I've seen in Wildwood the depth @ 1st was .88-.89", noticeably thinner than the usual chunky C used on R8s.

jktxs

Reaction score
lol this a message forum, people will go to all kinds of silly lengths just to appear right on a computer screen to save face or to earn emojis or whatever.
Is this some sort of self criticism?:rofl:

Pickup cavity shots, if anyone's interested.

callmeval

Reaction score

My neck tenon looks nothing like that. Mine is exactly as it was advertized, long. Maybe some have them & some don't. I'm gonna contact Gibson & get to the bottom of it. But given that you've reduced yourself to playing the "gotcha game" like some kind of deranged adolescent I don't see the point in sharing any pictures with you. It's creepy & disturbing when people behave like this. Psycho

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But no this Slash model is not remotely the same as a R9.... Historics don’t use orange drop caps or shield plates and the cavity routes are all wrong.... tuners are the wrong type.... no holly veneer on the headstock on this slash model..... manipulate it all you want .... this ain’t no R9.

My 2013 USA Standard has a long neck tenon,....it don't make it a R9 by any means.

Here's a pic of my 2013 Standard.
pictures from phone 1394.JPG

Last edited:

jcsk8

Reaction score
No guitar is closer to the real thing as this new true historic thing. Even the older reissues are no par with them.
Well, next year (or this) they will release something new, probably the trully real historic, and than that´s gonna be the next big thing. So your old historic is goig to fall down a thousand dollars.

PauloQS

Reaction score
given that you've reduced yourself to playing the "gotcha game" like some kind of deranged adolescent I don't see the point in sharing any pictures with you.
This is precious. There is no evidence that the 2018 USA Slash Standard have long neck tenon. A copy and paste gone wrong from one retailer with a history of past mistakes is not a valid proof. The picture from inside the neck pickup cavity of the guitar is proof that you’re misguided, for I highly doubt that Gibson would randomly make some guitars with long others with short neck tenons.

You’re either being petulant or a troll or both. It’s ironic that you acuse someone of being a “deranged adolescent” when you are the one coming across that way with your angry replies to anyone questioning the veracity of your wild unfounded claims.

redking

Reaction score
I would be shocked if the regular production line in Nashville was equipped to set necks with hide glue - it's a completely different process than working with PVA glue and would require training and experience to do correctly on a consistent basis. Nevermind that the workstations would have to be re-configured.

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Short neck tenon..... :rolleyes:

Latest Threads