Gibson USA Slash Anaconda 2018. Affordable R9 in disguise?

callmeval

Reaction score
The USA model is a solid body with a long neck tenon, no weight relief or chambering, a one piece back & it's constructed from light mahogany (my one weighs around 8 pounds) it also has a hide glue fitted neck, rosewood fingerboard & historic medium jumbo frets too. It even has the same neck taper & wiring as the Custom Shop model (orange capacitors etc)

It's just missing a AAA top, nylon nut, cellulose inlays, a traditional ABR bridge & so called "replica plastics" (which look no different to the one's on the USA model anyway)

It's basically the same guitar, just a few grand cheaper because it has a AA top, different plastics & an ABR bridge which is mounted on metal bushings lol

Are inlays, plastic & an original ABR bridge really worth thousands more? lol if so, why? Does Gandalf the Wizard put them in there?

Anyway, I think it's interesting that the USA model has all the raw ingredients of an R9 for half the price of one. If I got this resprayed, upgraded its nut, inlays & changed its electronics I'd still have a "historic Les Paul" for less money. It'd just have a modern bridge

callmeval

Reaction score
Its all about marketing my friend.
It's really crafty lol Gibson's marketing team have deliberately described the USA model's specs in extremely vague terms in order to exaggerate the Custom Shop's value, like it's an entirely different guitar. I've noticed they do this a lot.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I got this resprayed, upgraded its nut, inlays & changed its electronics I'd still have a "historic Les Paul" for less money. It'd just have a modern bridge
Not much less money at that point, plus it would still only be worth what the original guitar was.

I'm glad you like yours, rock on!

callmeval

Reaction score
Not much less money at that point, plus it would still only be worth what the original guitar was.

I'm glad you like yours, rock on!
It's one of the best LPs I've ever owned or played but I didn't get it to emulate Slash. I got it for its "historic specs'. However there are things about it that bother me lol I hate that it was designed to be without a PG. I think LPs look ugly & unclassy without PGs. That's my only complaint though.

callmeval

Reaction score
"It's just missing" a lot
Not really, a few bits of plastic & a bridge doesn't constitute "a lot" & the USA one has a flashier top than the plain version from the Custom Shop. A corksniffing collector/trader who doesn't even play may care about these superficial differences but a guitarist won't.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Do you mean the green one? There is no mention of not having weight relief on the website unless you are referring to it being called a solid body. Swiss cheese Les Pauls have always been called solid body.

callmeval

Reaction score
I think the Custom Shop models are designed with lawyers or bankers in mind or something. Some non rocking, corporate guy who can't play guitar so he collects them to compensate for his lack of talent & creative skill. He believes he has a collection of "superior instruments" hanging on his wall. But they're just overpriced ornaments gathering dust. His yuppie mind doesn't see guitars, he can only see "investments". Something to sell or bargain with later on. He's threatened by change because he's protective of his "investments" & can't think beyond their "resale value" . So he goes out of his way to keep Gibson the same. I can remember how hard the collectors seethed when the 2015 range was released. But I thought they were great guitars! lol

callmeval

Reaction score
Do you mean the green one? There is no mention of not having weight relief on the website unless you are referring to it being called a solid body. Swiss cheese Les Pauls have always been called solid body.

This is exactly what I mean. They've deliberately used vague marketing language to avoid mentioning that it has a long neck tenon & a non weight relieved, one piece body. They don't even mention the fact that it has an identical neck, frets & electronics either. They just describe the neck as being "thick" lol It's exactly the same as the Custom Shop model, it's just missing a few superficial features.

callmeval

Reaction score

Here's a screenshot from the official spec sheet which no one ever downloads, as you can see it has no weight relief. No Swiss cheese. No chambering.

Attachments

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Custom Shop guitars are expensive no doubt, but they will deliver a superior guitar to the USA line more reliably.

I've got people with my band's name tattooed on them, been kicked out of places for effing it up too much while performing, had songs I wrote played on the radio. I own a R8, it's the second best LP I've ever touched behind a real '60 Burst. They're not just for yuppies. It took me a long time to pay for it, but not buying that guitar would still be haunting me.

callmeval

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken the 2020 range of Slash Gibson USA models are lacking a long neck tenon & they're apparently heavier than the 2018 models as well. Perhaps they're based on a different guitar he owns? But the 2018s are very similar to R9s. I was so surprised by how light my Slash guitar is I did suspect it of being weight relieved (or even chambered) but it's not. I didn't even know it had a one piece body or a long neck tenon until finding out for myself (because it's not mentioned on the Gibson website) I contacted the Gibson dealer who sold them & they confirmed that it's a one piece, no weight relief with long neck tenon as well. I didn't even know it had hand wired orange capacitors until later either. I suspect the plastics of being the same too. The inlays are still celluloid, just celluloid acetate. But they're described as being "acrylic". So perhaps there the same as well, just described differently for marketing purposes

Harleytech

Reaction score
There's no mention on Gibson's web site that it has a long neck tenon.. Have you removed the neck pick up to verify that ?

callmeval

Reaction score
Custom Shop guitars are expensive no doubt, but they will deliver a superior guitar to the USA line more reliably.

I've got people with my band's name tattooed on them, been kicked out of places for effing it up too much while performing, had songs I wrote played on the radio. I own a R8, it's the second best LP I've ever touched behind a real '60 Burst. They're not just for yuppies. It took me a long time to pay for it, but not buying that guitar would still be haunting me.
I agree with you. I busted my balls & managed to get a custom shop as well & it's one of the best guitars I've got. But I don't own a dozen of them, like yuppie collectors do. I also own a few Gibson USA LPs. That's why the Slash Anaconda 2018 caught me by surprise because it feels & it plays just like an R9, albeit one with a shredder style neck. It doesn't feel like a Gibson USA Les Paul at all. It's just completely different. There's billions of people in this world & only 450 unsigned models were produced. So maybe it was an experiment & they went all out on this experiment. Also the "anaconda burst" reminds me of the "ocean green burst" they used to produce. So I'm not sure if the color is entirely unique

DADGAD

Reaction score
One thing i could not get along with is the USA line’s neck angles. They seem to set it a bit steeper this requiring the bridge to be higher off the body. Not a big deal but noticeable to me.

jktxs

Reaction score
Yes, I have verified it for myself. Also...

You've posted Anderton's marketing literature for the 2017 Slash First Standard which is a '58 burst reissue. That one has a somewhat slim neck profile that was used on a lot of the more recent R8s.

callmeval

Reaction score
There's no mention on Gibson's web site that it has a long neck tenon.. Have you removed the neck pick up to verify that ?
As I was saying before, Gibson have been deliberately vague in its description & I suspect it's because its specs are almost identical to the Custom Shop model. For instance, on the Custom Shop spec page they droll on about its neck. Well, the USA model has the exact same neck but they don't even bother mentioning this. They just say it's "thick". It has the exact same frets & construction as well. It just doesn't have Slash's autograph or an old school ABR bridge. As I mentioned earlier, I also suspect the plastics of being the same too & perhaps even the inlays, given that they're also celluloid acetate. But marketing language is a crafty thing isn't it.

I'll take some pics of its long neck tenon during my next string change, I'll also take pics of its one piece back as well. It's an amazing guitar for its price & if you find a used one I highly recommend getting it. It's a guitar with lots of wonderful secrets

Latest Threads