Gibson USA quality control

Antiochdave

Reaction score
I'm not sure what people are seeing. I blew through a rack full of Les Pauls, mostly Standards and Traditionals, with a few Studios and some VOS Custom and sunbursts last week and the week before, looking for a sunburst Tradition that did it for me (not that I was in the market: jes' kickin' tires y'unnerstan').

I couldn't find anything "wrong" with ANY of them, though some appealed to me more than others, cosmetically (some sunburst patterns speak to me more than others).

Couldn't find any obvious "flaws" in materials or workmanship. Most felt wonderful to play.

I wound up buying a 2010 LP Special (in the avatar now) that hadn't interested me a month ago, but I was kinda toying with getting a P-90 '50's or '60's Tribute and for some odd reason liked the Special best of all after 3-4 Tributes. Mostly I guess the Tributes shook just like my Studio faded (they're all chambered similiarly I s'pose), so went for the plugged in sound of the Special (it may have had a touch more sustain, I dunno).

At first I didn't like the Special's thinner '60's neck, but the ebony had me go back for another look and I got over it. Sure, I suppose I'd like if it was fatter necked, but I still am glad I bought it now!

I was pretty impressed with all the Gibsons I played. The shop does set them up pretty well, and it's not a Guitar Center rehearsal hall, where kids are allowed to knock the tar out of everything before you can get to one that's not shop-worn.

That’s a really nice LP that you just pick up, I almost bought one myself but when I went back to buy it the next day it way already sold, enjoy it -

80's Rocker

Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that the binding on my horn is crooked!

River

Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that the binding on my horn is crooked!
Yeah, well, consider the observer. :rolleyes:

Your perspective has been proven to be somewhat skewed at times. And your photos and sound clips somewhat lacking. In any event...

post-7-1085545145.jpg

Spectre

Reaction score
I have two 2010 Tradditonal LP's The Cherry's vol and tone control knobs sit relatively close to the body, where as my HB knobs sit quite a bit higher. Tonight I pulled the HB out of the case and found 3 of the speed knobs cracked on the inside just above the post. Since this is a new guitar, less than 6 months old should Gibson be sending me new knobs and is it possible to lower the vol and tone shafts. 1 more thing.... what the heck does the acronym "NGD" stand for.. Thanks

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
NGD stands for "new guitar day", or "new gear day," depending on context.

I don't think they'll send you any knobs. After six months, unless you've got wood or electronics failure, "material defect" is quite a stretch. They'll just say you bumped it into somthing.

Spectre

Reaction score
I'm sure its due to the height of the vol and tone posts sitting too high that caused them to crack while in the factory gibson case. Ive never adj these is there any thing I need to know before I try to lower the pots.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Not sure they can be lowered. You may have to go with short-post pots.

Spectre

Reaction score
Short post pots,hmmmm , I dont see extra thread on the top side of the post to even try to lower the pot.

Spectre

Reaction score
Just figured this out........... its not the post that are too high Its the speed knobs. Seems that I have two different manufacters. I pulled off one of the knobs on my CB and tryed it on the HB and wallah......... it fits nice and close to the body. So I called our friendly suppport staff @ Gibson and told them three of the 4 knobs on the HB were cracked and sitting awefull high and he agreed to send new ones. :)

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Wallah?
Voila - French
Next...call Gibson and get a new set of knobs, they owe you.

zslane

Reaction score
Yes, there are definitely different speed knob structures out there. Aside from the USA vs. metric issue, there are at least two different USA speed knobs that I've encountered. One of them has the bottom of the inner collar flush with the bottom of the whole knob, which makes it sit noticibly higher off the body. The other has the bottom of the collar a good 2mm or so up inside the knob, which means when the collar is fully seated on the pot post, the bottom of the knob hangs down another 2mm closer to the guitar body.

This difference drove me nuts since I don't know of a reliable way to obtain the latter type of knobs. Gibson's own branded speed knobs are of the former variety. I had to take a dremel to a couple of these to file away the bottom of the collars so they would sit closer to the body of my PRS Custom 24. Annoying as hell, if ya ask me.

Spectre

Reaction score
Wallah?
Voila - French
Next...call Gibson and get a new set of knobs, they owe you.

So I called our friendly suppport staff @ Gibson and told them three of the 4 knobs on the HB were cracked and sitting awefull high and he agreed to send new ones.

@ Hatter I'm just glad I didnt try to lower them, something told me to try my Cherry Burst on the Honey burst........ it they fit nice n close.... learn something new everyday.

Wallaaa is Southern :dude:

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind...
QC organizations inspect things and report the findings.
They don’t make decisions what is acceptable or not. The decisions are dictated to them in the form of “standards”.
Standards are corporate decisions made by the company executives…
Don’t call out the poor QC team, they’re probably bitching up a storm…

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Just figured this out........... its not the post that are too high Its the speed knobs. Seems that I have two different manufacters. I pulled off one of the knobs on my CB and tryed it on the HB and wallah......... it fits nice and close to the body. So I called our friendly suppport staff @ Gibson and told them three of the 4 knobs on the HB were cracked and sitting awefull high and he agreed to send new ones. :)

I'm glad I was wrong.