Gibson USA quality control

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have not seen many of the Gibson Custom and Historic series with manufacturers flaws, from my observations i believe the quality control of the Gibson Custom shop guitars to be much better

rjshare

Reaction score
I have owned a bunch of Gibsons since the early 70's and I find the quality control of late to be anything but shoddy and machine like.

that doesnt make any sense

zslane

Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't get my panties all in a bunch over Gibson's QC is that I have all the Gibson Les Pauls I want, and even if I wanted another it would not be too hard to find a used one in the kind of condition I want at a price I find acceptable. Gibson's current QC "woes" are utterly irrelevant to me. I feel bad for folks living outside the U.S. who have very limited options when it comes to purchasing Les Pauls. They are probably the most affected by Gibson's less-than-stellar QC. But those of us who won the birth lottery by being born in America have little cause to bitch and moan about access to good quality instruments at reasonable prices.

rjshare

Reaction score
its ok though - we have plenty of other reasons to be happy we werent born over there! :laugh2:

geezberry

Reaction score
You guys are nutz!
cat.jpg

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
I think that if someone decided that 'cosmetic flaws' don't define a guitar so let's sell it at regular price, then so be it. If that is what happened.

Unfortunately, to me, this always rings of "I want one for less than regular price and I'm pissed that they won't sell them for less". I suppose that if people stopped buying them then perhaps they'd have to change something but since they keep selling...

Anyway, there is a way to remedy it. Buy used.

KenG

Reaction score
that doesnt make any sense

Actually it reads as the opposite of what the poster intended I think. I read it as....top notch quality lately. While comparing today's quality to the 70's, it's funny cause if you read some history the early 70's LPs quality was also reknowned for being questionable to the point that people were looking to TOKAI for quality copies of LPs back then. Remember too in the early 70's MIJ was not a good thing. That didn't happen until mid to late 70's.

rick13

Reaction score
It's most easily explained as Bad workmanship.....unless that's normal.Are you saying that the gap at the ring is a variation along with the uneven binding? The original question was about Gibson USA quality. Should I post pictures of the workmanship on my '57 reissue black beauty, or are there variations that are normal there as well? I have owned a bunch of Gibsons since the early 70's and I find the quality control of late to be anything but shoddy and machine like. As a result, I would never entertain buying a Custom Shop online anymore, unless I could get a full refund or replacement. That said, there are some great dealers that probably cull through what is sent to them. Those are the people that could offer insight into the original question.
thanks
Rick

Corrected sentence and thought.
I have owned a bunch of Gibsons since the early 70's and I find the quality control of late to be shoddy and machine like (not all mind you ), but enough to give me pause. My typing is obviously shoddy and less than machine like.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
This is part of the corporate process. Unfortunately, Gibson has an institutional memory similar to the rest of the world, very short.

You can pump out poor quality crap and put your name on it and sell it for only so long. After that, rather than people thinking that you have a great product that might have a cosmetic flaw, people start to think that your product sucks, except for the occasional outlier.

Gibson needs a better process for reclaiming the parts in 'seconds' and making them into firsts (it can be done) and selling only those products that meet a certain level of quality. Otherwise, you're just tarnishing your whole brand and diminishing your overall revenue prospects.

The feedback from forums like this, helps the corporation to realize the mistake that they are making and to take steps towards correcting the problem. Either they will get it or they won't. If they don't, a "pre-stupidity" should rapidly appreciate in value.

bugg

Reaction score
DUDE...this is a custom shop guitar ...I mean, HOW DARE THEY misalign the dots?
GAWD!

You've just brought it to my attention that a guitar I have had for 8 years has misaligned dots at the 12th fret......

Now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I've really gotta stop hanging out with you guys... :laugh2:

dismalswamp

Reaction score
i'm not so sure the guitars are flawed, but there is noticeable downturn in quality of a regular instrument. I picked up a USA AFD last year and despite the beautiful top, putting it next to my 95 STD, things such as the quality of the fretwork, the binding, the inlays and especially the rosewood fingerboard very vastly superior on the 95.
It seems what not so very long ago would be standard is now something you need to pay the Custom Shop prices for.

River

Reaction score
You've just brought it to my attention that a guitar I have had for 8 years has misaligned dots at the 12th fret......

Bug out, man. They have you at the throat.

AngryHatter

Reaction score

There are more little quirks with my custom shop...ah well.

bluesguitar1972

Reaction score
I agree for the most part - Gibson could stand to do better with the QC - however, it's not a problem for them alone. Over all, the Gibson's I've played are as well put together as the US Fenders (and certainly the MIM Fenders) and higher end Gretsch guitars.

It's an inherent issue with an large corporation. The more employees the greater challenge to maintain a personal touch in production. I would like to see it better, but I can't help but think people tend to make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. The vast majority of the Gibsons I've played are quite playable instruments. It's not as if you need to sort through a pile of Les Pauls to find one that plays well.

sonar1

Reaction score
...It's not as if you need to sort through a pile of Les Pauls to find one that plays well.

I'm not sure what people are seeing. I blew through a rack full of Les Pauls, mostly Standards and Traditionals, with a few Studios and some VOS Custom and sunbursts last week and the week before, looking for a sunburst Tradition that did it for me (not that I was in the market: jes' kickin' tires y'unnerstan').

I couldn't find anything "wrong" with ANY of them, though some appealed to me more than others, cosmetically (some sunburst patterns speak to me more than others).

Couldn't find any obvious "flaws" in materials or workmanship. Most felt wonderful to play.

I wound up buying a 2010 LP Special (in the avatar now) that hadn't interested me a month ago, but I was kinda toying with getting a P-90 '50's or '60's Tribute and for some odd reason liked the Special best of all after 3-4 Tributes. Mostly I guess the Tributes shook just like my Studio faded (they're all chambered similiarly I s'pose), so went for the plugged in sound of the Special (it may have had a touch more sustain, I dunno).

At first I didn't like the Special's thinner '60's neck, but the ebony had me go back for another look and I got over it. Sure, I suppose I'd like if it was fatter necked, but I still am glad I bought it now!

I was pretty impressed with all the Gibsons I played. The shop does set them up pretty well, and it's not a Guitar Center rehearsal hall, where kids are allowed to knock the tar out of everything before you can get to one that's not shop-worn.

Jeffguy

Reaction score
When spending top $ on an instrument I believe that the QC should be top notch. Thats part of the prestige of owning one!

THAT BEING SAID,

When in the market for a new guitar I sincerely enjoy finding the 'pick of the litter'. Makes me bond much more, and makes me appreciate the fact that it's one of the GREAT ones. Plus I get to put my hands on and play a large number of the nicest guitars in the market!

And not to sound too ignorant, but if you don't know how to inspect a guitar for flaws, then maybe it's not quite time to drop 2K+. But thats just my opinion so no disrespect :D