Gibson USA quality control

rjshare

Reaction score
you guys ever notice how people will say "i had to try 25 different guitars to find the right one" when they buy a new gibson, but you only ever hear things along the lines of "this thing screams/sings/rocks" etc when it is a used guitar they bought? i dont remember anyone ever posting a thread on here saying that they went to try a second hand guitar but it just didnt speak to them...

maybe its because the instruments AS INSTRUMENTS are nearly always well built. the wood is good, the joinery is solid, the electrics are reliable, the alignment is excellent etc but the out-of-the-box set ups are what is wrong with the guitar 99% of the time. a second hand guitar will always have been through a few setups when you buy it and coincidently they are nearly always great when you pick them up - even if they are only a few months old.

manotso

Reaction score
You are wrong about the maple cap is showing. The binding always gets thicker around the neck in the cut out area just to cover the maple cap. It's a bad tape job, it’s that simple. Every body’s right about it doesn’t affect the playing ability of the guitar, it's the point of it, don’t get me wrong, I love these Les Paul's. I'm 50 yrs old and I have had my fear sheer of them through the years. But for what we pay for them they need to be correct. The truth is even if I paid less for a product it still needs to be right. I'm a Carpenter by trade and I could never get away with this kind of workmanship with my client’s nor would I try.

Just Saying,
IT’S GOING BACK!
:slap:

Dave watch this:
Visble wood grain body/top wood mark in cutaway? - Les Paul Forum

Your LP is just fine

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
you guys ever notice how people will say "i had to try 25 different guitars to find the right one" when they buy a new gibson, but you only ever hear things along the lines of "this thing screams/sings/rocks" etc when it is a used guitar they bought? i dont remember anyone ever posting a thread on here saying that they went to try a second hand guitar but it just didnt speak to them...

maybe its because the instruments AS INSTRUMENTS are nearly always well built. the wood is good, the joinery is solid, the electrics are reliable, the alignment is excellent etc but the out-of-the-box set ups are what is wrong with the guitar 99% of the time. a second hand guitar will always have been through a few setups when you buy it and coincidently they are nearly always great when you pick them up - even if they are only a few months old.

This is a very good point.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I believe this is also because buying a used guitar especially one that is a few years old, the buyers expectations are different than some one buying a new guitar, thr buyers biggest concerns when buying used guitar are play wear, damage, cracks, breaks or repairs and playability of the guitar, a used guitar will usually have developed some scratches and light dings from being played, so any slight manufacturers cosmetic flaws are no longer as noticeable or as much of a concern as they would have been when the guitar was new

rjshare

Reaction score
I believe this is also because buying a used guitar especially one that is a few years old, the buyers expectations are different than some one buying a new guitar, thr buyers biggest concerns when buying used guitar are play wear, damage, cracks, breaks or repairs and playability of the guitar, a used guitar will usually have developed some scratches and light dings from being played, so any slight manufacturers cosmetic flaws are no longer as noticeable or as much of a concern as they would have been when the guitar was new

that is very true, and i was aware of that as i was writing it - the only thing i would add though is that the odd ding here and there doesnt alter what the instrument is or how it performs. it is also why gibsons retain their value so well generally despite obvious signs of use/abuse.

the underlying point i was really getting at is that whilst finish flaws may perhaps be fairly commonplace, gibson do not now make bad instruments despite what some of the "that-piece-of-shite-isnt-worthy-of-the-name" style posters would have you believe.

a badly cut diamond might need a bit of polishing but it is still a diamond.

KenG

Reaction score
Amazing how one misinformed post regarding the style of cutaway binding added 3 pages of debate to this thread.
I read someone's post that all the 50's LPs they saw were flawless! I'm not sure how many of these very rare originals are accessible to the average person but I like many of us own a copy of BOTB. While they are beautiful, the misaligned & inconsistent Logos (Silkscreened and inlayed) and wonkily mounted tuners tell a different tale than 'perfection'.
I've seen many older LPs for sale (70's, 80's and up) where the notches in the bridge saddles also indicate poor alignment of the neck or bridge/tailpiece.
I tried many Lps before buying my Trad + and while there were some minor cosemteic flaws, I mainly paased up the models becasue of stroe induced damage (scratches/dings) or becuase they didn't feel comfortable to me.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I just purchases a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro Goldtop Darkback. I called the shop to see if the guitar was still available. They said it was available. I asked the sales rep if there were any issues with the guitar. Dents, dings, scratches, or any flaws in the finish? He said there were no issues with the guitar. I went to the shop and like he said the guitar was prestine. I played it for ten minutes and it was a keeper.

Fair enough, but that doesn't address my point.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
If someone has hard figures we could determine a rate of failure.
I'd be willing to bet rate of deviation is no more out of line than any other mass produced widget.
Toyota recalls millions of vehicles for flaws.
How many vehicles contain flaws but the buyers keep the vehicles and do not report the flaws?
And I certainly don't get indignant over it. There are many other things requiring my passion.

There is also something of the corporate philosophy at play.

Fender is known for substituting whatever is at hand to make a days production.
My MIM Jag has an OEM MIA trem plate - flaw? No, they were short parts and asked Fullerton to send some...as engineers are fond of saying, "It's a feature."

My MIM Tele has an 8 hole pickguard - almost every picture of a Baja I have seen depeicts a 5 hole model. Flaw?

Gibson is somehow thought of as seeking perfection in wood, whereas they are really after profits. If that includes a percentage of flawed instruments making it out the door and they have determined that to be cost effective, who are we to criticize? Buy one or don't.
And yes, you have a right to bitch, but you don't have a right to expect the management of a firm to follow your suggestions.

And the argument is only concerning COSMETIC issues.
If a guitar is unplayable, return it... et cetera. That would be your fault for keeping it.

River

Reaction score
Thank you for the article, which is exactly what I was seeing. I was so use too of my older Les Paul’s that I didn’t even think it was the maple cap when I first noticed it -

Antiochdave -
You are a gentleman among forum posters, Mr. Antiochdave.

:cheers:

River

Reaction score
... must ... not ... troll ... must ... not ... troll ....
5770234252_fec265902c_z.jpg

manotso

Reaction score
Thank you for the article, which is exactly what I was seeing. I was so use too of my older Les Paul’s that I didn’t even think it was the maple cap when I first noticed it -

Antiochdave -

You are welcome.
Have fun!

And by the way Gibson's QC is OK. Sometimes mistakes can happen.. BUT that's why customers service exists.

Enjoy

River

Reaction score

rick13

Reaction score
It's most easily explained as Bad workmanship.....unless that's normal.Are you saying that the gap at the ring is a variation along with the uneven binding? The original question was about Gibson USA quality. Should I post pictures of the workmanship on my '57 reissue black beauty, or are there variations that are normal there as well? I have owned a bunch of Gibsons since the early 70's and I find the quality control of late to be anything but shoddy and machine like. As a result, I would never entertain buying a Custom Shop online anymore, unless I could get a full refund or replacement. That said, there are some great dealers that probably cull through what is sent to them. Those are the people that could offer insight into the original question.
thanks
Rick