Gibson USA Flametop Friday!

fleahead

Reaction score
Both bone stock, except for LW tailpieces and the addition of wrist wreckers. Both were gifted to me, one by a GM of my division, one by a USA Prod Mgr. The amber sports a nice chip on the cutaway where it got "loved" at a bar jam about 2 hours after I got it, lol. They were exceptional.
02 Amber LP 03.jpg

peobryant

Reaction score
Wasn't your Wildwood 50s Standard featured on their facebook page? I remember a shot of 4 of them in a row...I wonder if this was one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their featured guitars, it is absolutely gorgeous and one of the best new Original Collection tops I've seen. There has been some discussion around the tops chosen for these guitars, with a lot of it centering around the average top on the new Originals to be a little less flamey on average than Standards or Traditionals pre-2020. With a lot of the tops being almost seemingly unmatched (1/2 flame, 1/2 plain in certain lighting) I think there is some truth to that, but kind of the odd thing that it has done is then when you get one that has a really nice top, like yours, then it really, really stands out from the rest. I'm guessing that it saves better tops for the 'AAA' runs that WW, Sweetwater, Zzounds and others do.

Mine was actually considered a 'standard AA' top...it snuck through and I'm sure glad it did!
I actually had that post saved on my other computer, but I just now went to Wildwood's Facebook page and scrolled for about 5 minutes and found the post from November 14th, 2019 when they announced the Wildwood Select, and yep, my Guitar is one of them. This is the post;

I was on break at work when I saw that post, it was early in the morning (I work night shift) and I was amazed by that top. I didn't really need another Les Paul, but I loved the color and the top, so I figured what the hell and ordered it. I'm glad I did because it plays even better than it looks.

You have a hell of a top on yours as well, it is absolutely gorgeous.

DaveSG

Reaction score
I actually had that post saved on my other computer, but I just now went to Wildwood's Facebook page and scrolled for about 5 minutes and found the post from November 14th, 2019 when they announced the Wildwood Select, and yep, my Guitar is one of them. This is the post;

I was on break at work when I saw that post, it was early in the morning (I work night shift) and I was amazed by that top. I didn't really need another Les Paul, but I loved the color and the top, so I figured what the hell and ordered it. I'm glad I did because it plays even better than it looks.

You have a hell of a top on yours as well, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, that's the one!!! There is a thread on here about them as well - I'll see if I can dig it up. In the meantime, thank you! It was by total happenstance that I saw that Zzounds had 'new!' left-handed Standard 50s in stock - all the righties were out. It was like a freak shipment or something. In any case, I thought, 'oh, cool. New lefties, let's check them out. Hmmm, let's see I wonder what they look like OH MY HOLY...HOLD UP!' when I first saw that top, it smacked me right in the face. Then seeing that it had the lightest weight of the bunch, I was sold on the spot. There was another lefty that either Zzounds / American Musical / Sweetwater (can't remember which) had, several months back, that was every bit this one's equal (if I'm being honest), and I was sorely tempted by it, but the thing weighed like 10+ lbs and I just couldn't do it. I wanted to, but I'm an SG guy...Lord knows I would have started drilling holes in the thing :laugh2: . Someone out there got another incredible looking lefty, and I hope they post it in this thread because I want to see it again!

For me, they are art. It is totally just a bonus that the guitar plays great and sounds exactly like what a Les Paul should sound like in my head. I could hang the thing on a wall and never touch it, just look at it, and be totally satisfied. But that I get to play it, and make music with it...feels like a gift...
P7300774.JPG

DaveSG

Reaction score
Okay! Found the thread where the WW Select 50s are mentioned.

I didn't see yours in that shot of the four, but two look very similar. I think yours has a bit more character/wider flame than those and I tend to like wider flame a bit.

Everyone seems to be nearly out of these, but I can't wait until WW and others get a full stash again, just for the fun of looking through them. If I find any flame monsters, I'll probably try to save them and add them to this thread, and then hopefully the new owners will come and share some new angles with us!

bennyboy

Reaction score
My very recently acquired, early 2006 (non chambered) Standard.
The flame is quite subtle and changes massively in the light, I just loved the little mineral streaks breaking it up.
Completely smitten. Must get a NGD thread up in fact.

My 06 Std sml.jpg
image_c07994a9-2d2b-43af-b04a-47b1c0fd4ddd_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Wise Guy

Reaction score
2019 '60's Standard Unburst

Very nice top indeed! This top looks a lot like a reissue top which always seem to have a good ratio between flame and mineral lines. Any of the Gibson USA models I've seen recently have great flaming but lack in the streaks. This one's right up there with those R's.

Latest Threads